Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best way for Southgate to keep his job .

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have long said that we should not be involved with this World Cup...
Southgate? Nobody cares about the Nation’s League, it will be forgotten if they do well in Qatar. I doubt that they will though.
When he does leave , I’d laugh my socks off if Potter took his job .......

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is all this anti Southgate crap on here just because he's ex-Palace? Or is it because he continually overlooked Dunk?

It can't really be feck all to do with his England results because most of you slating him always claim to not be interested in watching England anyway.... Well at least until things started getting serious for us in the Euro's, when suddenly everyone jumped on the Team Gareth wagon :rolleyes:

It's getting boring now all the Southgate abuse on here.

Possibly because he’s not very good and we are being relegated in the Nation’s League. Because he’s playing Maguire who, in the words of the excellent Barney Ronny in the Guardian, was turning “like a tractor bogged down in the mud” ( or something like that). He also said we need a more mobile centre back - anybody spring to mind: begins with W, ends in r, 7 letters……. And there are others. Because on Friday he was playing people out of position and it didn’t work.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Possibly because he’s not very good and we are being relegated in the Nation’s League. Because he’s playing Maguire who, in the words of the excellent Barney Ronny in the Guardian, was turning “like a tractor bogged down in the mud” ( or something like that). He also said we need a more mobile centre back - anybody spring to mind: begins with W, ends in r, 7 letters……. And there are others. Because on Friday he was playing people out of position and it didn’t work.

Still doesn’t explain 7.5 hours without a goal from open play. And a goal record that is pretty much on par with San Marino in this Nations League

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Some truth in what you say, although he is a boring dullard.

In my very distant view it appears that he has used the Nations League as a test bed for new ideas and players. Yes England are relegated, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the the QFs will be calling again at the World Cup. Does anyone really think that we should automatically think of ourselves as better than that?

Test bed with two games to go? The only thing he should be doing is fine tuning the squad, which clearly he isn’t.
Clueless dullard at boro and the same for England. He has no plan B and just hopes for a goal and then defends (badly). Any competent side will put us to the sword.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If, IF, he'd have played a load of new players in the Nations League (and told us beforehand he was doing that) then he might be excused for failure in that comp.
He could have dropped proven goal scorer Kane and played Toney to see whether he can step up, but he won't, he's to scared of losing a match to risk winning. He's too blinkered in his view that "his" formation is the only way to play.

Hopefully gone after the WC

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The whole thing is scandalous. Literally the worlds biggest sporting event being played in a country where it’s illegal to be gay. It’s 2022 FFS not 1922.

How can these players take the knee one week then look they other way the next.

Total b****cks.

Not much better in Russia in that sense. Money wins every time though, depressingly.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
The problem is that the majority of the best players in every position in the EPL are foreign !!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Best way is for England to shift the emphasis to attack and beat Germany. If both those things happened, the negative noise would calm down and the guy who’s done well at the last two tournaments could have one final crack. Can’t see that changing thjngs now would be a bright move.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Genuinely don't care. I used to worry that Potter would leave us for the England job and now that no longer applies. I suppose it would be nice for Dunk and Webster to get some caps.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
The problem is that the majority of the best players in every position in the EPL are foreign !!

That's rubbish. Any decent coach would have won the two previous competitions. We didn't win the because of GS. I know more U10 coaches with more tactical awareness and ineptitude then GS. He has learnt nothing and hasn't developed at all.

He believes Maguire "is an important player for us" - no he isn't. He isn't even a player for his club, let alone an important one.

He says "if there were players ready to play above Maguire's [level], it would be a different consideration" - That's a lie, because there is. Plenty.

He says he picks players because of their form. Well how does Shaw, Bowen, Phillips (who pulled out with injury) get in the squad then? Shaw and Phillips have played like 10 minutes between them this season, and Bowen has had a terrible start to the season.

GS is a liar, and has dug himself into a hole, and should resign. He's a despicable little scrote. I do not understand why more questions are not being asked of this guy by the media.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
That's rubbish. Any decent coach would have won the two previous competitions. We didn't win the because of GS. I know more U10 coaches with more tactical awareness and ineptitude then GS. He has learnt nothing and hasn't developed at all.

He believes Maguire "is an important player for us" - no he isn't. He isn't even a player for his club, let alone an important one.

He says "if there were players ready to play above Maguire's [level], it would be a different consideration" - That's a lie, because there is. Plenty.

He says he picks players because of their form. Well how does Shaw, Bowen, Phillips (who pulled out with injury) get in the squad then? Shaw and Phillips have played like 10 minutes between them this season, and Bowen has had a terrible start to the season.

GS is a liar, and has dug himself into a hole, and should resign. He's a despicable little scrote. I do not understand why more questions are not being asked of this guy by the media.

I would say that Southgate's time has now come/gone but he always comes across as a decent bloke and therefore doesn't deserve such childish abuse from fools like you who are everywhere on the internet nowadays.

As usual though, your post did make me laugh - this time your use of "ineptitude".

edit - there is no way that you're going to remain solid at the back end this World Cup.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I doubt you do otherwise they wouldn’t be U10 coaches.

There’s no way you seriously think Southgate should call up whole new players / squads every time. Given you only get a few days on the training pitch you’re not going to teach players the system immediately. Makes sense to have players who can come in and know what they’ve been doing for so long. We were terrible against Fulham. Potter didn’t drop half the team for the next game did he

Still no one can explain why Maguire has anything to do with 7.5 hours without a goal from open play. Or Shaw, or Phillips (dunno why you’re mentioning Phillips anyway) etc

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I'm taken aback that he has any supporters at all. I think your defense of him is very weak. He lacks class, and skill. He isn't a good man manger, are we still allowed to say that?

His squad selection this time around was diabolical. I mentioned Phillips because he's not playing for City, yes I know he's just picked up an injury, but he's hasn't played for them nearly all season (with the exception of a couple of minutes of the bench here and there) - HOW can you pick someone who isn't playing for their club team? What message does that send to others? And this will be his downfall.

Luckily, I don't give a shit about international football. My preference would be for the league to still carry on and clubs forced to use players that aren't selected. With Gareth Southgate as coach, that would really benefit us as a club because he doesn't select the best players for the job. Otherwise players like Webster or White would have been called up.

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I would say that Southgate's time has now come/gone but he always comes across as a decent bloke and therefore doesn't deserve such childish abuse from fools like you who are everywhere on the internet nowadays.

As usual though, your post did make me laugh - this time your use of "ineptitude".

edit - there is no way that you're going to remain solid at the back end this World Cup.

Can't workout if you're trying to be offensive, but I won't rise to it. This board is all about opinions. But, I haven't given a shit about international football since I had tears in my eyes when Michael Owen got the first against Brazil in Korea. Ever since the second half of that game, they've continued to let us down. This time its the coaches, not the players. We had the players to win the last two tournaments.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm taken aback that he has any supporters at all. I think your defense of him is very weak. He lacks class, and skill. He isn't a good man manger, are we still allowed to say that?

His squad selection this time around was diabolical. I mentioned Phillips because he's not playing for City, yes I know he's just picked up an injury, but he's hasn't played for them nearly all season (with the exception of a couple of minutes of the bench here and there) - HOW can you pick someone who isn't playing for their club team? What message does that send to others? And this will be his downfall.

Luckily, I don't give a shit about international football. My oref9wouod be for the league to still carry on and clubs forced to use players that aren't selected. With Gary Southgate as coach, that would really benefit us as a club because he doesn't select the best players for the job. Otherwise players like Webster or White would have been called up.

Odd, as I would say he does have class and he's been a good man manager (on certain levels). However, he does lack tactical skill and he should never have said he picks on form because he blatantly doesn't (but I think that is an old quote from early on rather than something he still says?) , I'm mostly surprised that he hasn't found any assistants with decent tactical nous as this is his downfall. He has many good attributes as a manager but a good manager should be able to chose good assistants in areas he is weak (tactics, how to change a game, proactive substitutions etc). I wish he'd gone in the summer but we are stuck with him so rather than hysteria (why hysterical when you don;t give a shit?) I'd rather back him now.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Can't workout if you're trying to be offensive, but I won't rise to it. This board is all about opinions. But, I haven't given a shit about international football since I had tears in my eyes when Michael Owen got the first against Brazil in Korea. Ever since the second half of that game, they've continued to let us down. This time its the coaches, not the players. We had the players to win the last two tournaments.

This board is about that but it's not about describing people as "despicable little scrote"s, who are just doing their job to the best of their (maybe limited) ability, imo.

edit - and why keep saying you don't give a shit when you obviously do.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Is all this anti Southgate crap on here just because he's ex-Palace? Or is it because he continually overlooked Dunk?

It can't really be feck all to do with his England results because most of you slating him always claim to not be interested in watching England anyway.... Well at least until things started getting serious for us in the Euro's, when suddenly everyone jumped on the Team Gareth wagon :rolleyes:

It's getting boring now all the Southgate abuse on here.
Fully agree. It’s completely infantile as it’s led most by those who probably gave Potter the most slack and patience when we’d lost game after game in his second season at the club. Yet Southgate goes through ONE bad patch of semi-meaningless games and the whole forum (and media) has become hysterical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here