Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best support from away fans at the Amex

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Not my cup of tea at all that sort of thing. I prefer the explosive bursts that come from specific things in the match.

Rather than watching some proto Nuremberg Rally adjacent to a foot all match.

Them being 'conducted' by some lad in a lacoste trackie is not for me Brian.
You get this choreographed singing in a lot of countries, definitely in places like Germany, Japan and even Norway where they have a specially built ‘cage’ for the guy with the megaphone to stand in. It does sound a bit false, the spontaneous reaction to the match is much more genuine and gets a bit lost. On the other hand they did make a good noise last night, tbf.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I bet they were impressed by the endless renditions of the "Robert De Zerbi" song, the occasional "Sussex by the Sea" and "We are Brighton, Super Brighton". They will be travelling back perplexed at "Three Song Brighton".
Or maybe that just came over as a drone?
At least they showed passion - which was completely lacking until the 88th minute
Passion for what? Following a dude with a megaphone. They might as well go and stand in a car park and do it, about the same relevance to the game of football.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
OT but WSU was loud (and at the right times). Surprised someone didn’t crowd surf down to 1901 on level below when we scored.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Passion for what? Following a dude with a megaphone. They might as well go and stand in a car park and do it, about the same relevance to the game of football.
I agree with you 100%.

But your (and other) comments made me think about the sort of comments my dad used to make about my LP collection (which, back then, was pretty anodyne) in the 70s:

"what's all that racket? Bloody jungle music. And call it music? It's just a noise. Thump, thump, thump. And you can't make out a word their singing. And call it singing?" etc.

Mind you he did sit through all 4 sides of Irish Tour 74 once, and nodded in approval at the end. :lolol:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
100% this. Impressive as they were at the start to me it is all a bit meaningless when there is no interaction between what is going on on the pitch and the reaction in the stands. I wonder if their players draw any inspiration from it at all as it seems to be all about the ultras themselves in a huge "look at me" sort of way. I did notice when their team hit the post in the second half that they just carried on with whatever dirge they were half way through meaning no oooh that was close and come on again lads lets get behind them. Finally if people get carried away by the continual "yellow submarine" chant let us not forget our own efforts with the Enoch Mwepu chant at Brentford and the continual "great escape" during that match when we went down to 9 men very early. To me they were just as passionate maybe even more so.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Their ding a ling a ling song to the sound of yellow submarine had me giggling most of the night...Haven't a clue what it means and maybe I don't want to know...but they get points for that. And their sign that said "Tout Pour Toi" took me nearly til the goal to work out what it said!! :ROFLMAO:

Tout Pour L'OM it was. All for the Olympique Marseille

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Having been to the Marseille away match and last night I agree. It seems to be nothing about the football on the pitch at all and instead about their "tribe". Most of them wouldn't have been able to see half the match with the flares, smoke and flags in the way.

WestYorkshireSeagull

Dec 28, 2021
I'm assuming they weren't body searched or had the fire safety label checked on their flags.
No no, they were heavily searched.
The Stewards Office is currently in possession of 1,791 aluminium flasks, 600 bags of A3 size, and 140 umbrellas that looked "too pointy for my liking".

One steward, asking a Marseille Ultra in balaclava... "What do you call this??" upon seeing a military-grade smoke grenade, was met with "c'est mon hand warmerrr".

"Oh, right you are, on you go"

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Got to give it to them, excellent support once again and a great football club.

Merci, Marseille!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Looks like it doesn’t it….although aren’t they draped over something..on a separate note this chap and the guy with a megaphone…I assume they are paid by the club, they saw nothing of the game

View attachment 171292
half the support behind the massive flags would not have seen much either.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ok for a novelty section. Wouldn't want to be in there or near it tbf other than a one off, which I'm sure would be fun. Once. Then quickly tiresome. It's a communal bonding section and that's about the sum of it. Not knocking it as I'm sure they love it and while the Amex, like all English crowds, can be too quiet, too library-like, too often I much prefer the spontaneous chants, the humour, the sudden anger at a foul. Even love the odd ooh it's a corner and ahhh you're shite keeper chants still. I remember a game at the Amex, early days, small cup crowd, evening game and some Spanish visitors infront of me found the keeper chant and the Who?! shouts by the crowd at the substitutions hilarious. That's the English game and hope it stays that way.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
half the support behind the massive flags would not have seen much either.
Even worse in the away ends at Bundesliga games - flags, banners, tall fences. May explain why the chanting has nothing to do with what’s happening on the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With the european teams it is all just noise, it has nothing to do with the actual football.
You may as well put on Blofeld's tape of Military March Music and blast it out of the away end.
This.

The volume is impressive but it leaves me really cold, as it doesn't react in any way to the football. I'm guessing this is because it's all orchestrated by a fella who isn't watching the game and so not in tune with the ebb and flow.

The dynamics are completely flat - I actually think it's kinda shit, in a way. There's no feeling of building momentum, no "GO OOOONNNN!!!" when a player is through on goal. No reaction whatsoever to their own players efforts.

If you were a player of theirs, would you really find it inspiring when you know that nothing you do will in any way influence it?

I'm biased obviously but I far prefer the English crowd noises/reactions etc.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Noisy buggers.

Attachments

• IMG_5826.jpeg
    IMG_5826.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here