Best Sports Commentator Ever

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Am I right in saying that Hugh Johns did the '66 World Cup Final for ITV?
Yes you are,
("Here's Hurst, he might make it three. He has! He has ... so that's it. That is IT!" ) was his famous quote after Hursts hat trick .

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Bill McLaren was wonderful. Richie Benaud was great and what I liked about him was that he didn't chatter on when there was nothing needing to be said. I also liked Peter West on cricket and rugby and I loved an afternoons cricket with Jim Laker. I also think that Kenneth Wolstenholme was underrated, he had to invent his trade and the way he said the names of foreign players was with great panache.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clive Everton.

I have just started doing a tiny bit of snooker commentary on web sites/bookie streams etc, not even TV, and I realise now exactly how good he was/still is, and how ridiculously easy and effortless he made something look that is in fact bloody hard work.

He gave me a few tips and hints on things to say and avoid, and basically they are like tablets of stone in this house.

There are loads of things you have to have, the base knowledge (past and current) of players and events, judgment, sense of occasion and drama, total knowledge of rules and the game, and some legal framework.

But translating all that into relaxed output that is interesting, informative, without pauses and error-free is incredibly difficult.

I admire a lot of the people in this list, but because this is a sport I know well and he is the undisputed No1, I'm voting for him. Neal Foulds is the next Clive, he is also excellent.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I used to think Harry Carpenter was a great boxing commentator.

Peter Jones and Bryon Butler were brilliant radio commentators on football - to think that we now have to suffer Allan Green!

Brian Moore seemed to be a lovely fellow but I'll never forget him asking Kevin Keegan if David Batty would score his penalty in the shoot-out against Argentina...

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Eddie Waring and John Arlott

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports