Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Best speech in a film ?

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see. You know, I don’t have any idea what that means. I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it’s just a made up word. A politician’s word, sonny. Young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did? There’s not a day goes by I don’t feel regret. Not because I’m in here. Because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then. A young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him. Tell him the way things are. But I can’t. That kid’s long gone and this old man’s all that’s left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? That’s just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because, to tell you the truth, I don’t give a shit.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Tie between Marlon Brando contender speech in the wonderful On the Waterfront and James Stewart filibuster speech in Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A marvellous film with many articulate, emotional speeches on a highly emotive subject (especially right now).

The finale, as you'd expect, is lovely.

Cover.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was going to nominate the same film and same actor - tho instead the opening scene where Christoph Waltz' masterful monologue moves through all the gears to evoke a creeping sense of real suspense and menace

I was in two minds which monologue to pick to be honest, this one wins it for me, because of the his sinister laugh while negotiating a pardon and his excuse that he was a detective, sheer genius and he played a psychotic nazi with such reality. Both scenes are utterly captivating, and the chilling most haunting thing about the scenes are things as nasty and evil occurred within touching distance of my lifetime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here