Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best Premier League Ever?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Doesn't this sort of thing get said every year?
Then 3 months in 'it's a really poor standard this year...'
Who'd making 'serious signings'?

Whoever says that it's a poor standard doesn't know what they are talking about.

With every passing year that the PL TV deal gives £100m+ to every team, the standard of the mid to lower teams creeps up and up relative to the other leagues. As an example, we may be taking one of the best players from Stuttgart, can outbid Benfica for a striker and maybe selling someone who may or may not get in our team to Ajax ... and we're only Brighton.

It's the highest quality and most competitive division in the history of football. I say this, not as someone creaming themselves off over their home league, I actually think the ongoing flight to the PL and concentration of power in the Champs leagues clubs is profoundly unhealthy.

I guess people only say it's a poor standard, because there are a large number of evenly matched teams outside the top 6 and fear of falling from this gravy train has led to widespread coaching pragmatism. But the skill and technique on display, if you know what to look for and can be arsed to watch something other than just the glamour clubs, is breathtaking.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
You can never tell though. Look how much Fulham spent 'strengthening' two seasons ago and how that worked out. (Although they still took four points off us).

Exactly but that Fulham side that went down would have arguably been a top 8 side if they were in the early 2000's. They had world cup winners in that squad and still got relegated fairly early on. It's mental.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Having watched a couple of friendlies and a couple of national team games I'm quite convinced this will possibly be the most shit PL season ever. The non-preseason and this completely meaningless national team break combined with a tight schedule that will prevent players from doing the physical training they need and teams from doing the tactical training they need, I think there is going to be a lot of barely watchable games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having watched a couple of friendlies and a couple of national team games I'm quite convinced this will possibly be the most shit PL season ever. The non-preseason and this completely meaningless national team break combined with a tight schedule that will prevent players from doing the physical training they need and teams from doing the tactical training they need, I think there is going to be a lot of barely watchable games.

We are Brighton fans, you’d be amazed at the shit football we’ve gone out of our way to watch over the years. Some of our games will quite possibly be barely watchable but we’ll be watching them!

Caveat - unless they are as shit as the January to April 2019 games, when I for one will be giving them a swerve :wink:

I remember when the only player we had who could kill a lofted high moving ball dead was Dean Wilkins, it just bounced off all the other players feet and went at least a yard as they tried to bring it under control :lolol:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We are Brighton fans, you’d be amazed at the shit football we’ve gone out of our way to watch over the years. Some of our games will quite possibly be barely watchable but we’ll be watching them!

I still shudder at the memory of Brighton v Donny on Valentine's Day in 1998 - it was like watching two pub teams on the morning after a lock-in. This Brighton team looks like Brazil compared with that

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I still shudder at the memory of Brighton v Donny on Valentine's Day in 1998 - it was like watching two pub teams on the morning after a lock-in. This Brighton team looks like Brazil compared with that

Didn’t Donny have some guy, almost literally from a local pub, in goal that game? I have a memory of them not having a fit contracted keeper?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn’t Donny have some guy, almost literally from a local pub, in goal that game? I have a memory of them not having a fit contracted keeper?

They could have picked someone from the crowd TBH. We could have played for three hours and still not looked like scoring

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Caveat - unless they are as shit as the January to April 2019 games, when I for one will be giving them a swerve :wink:

I remember when the only player we had who could kill a lofted high moving ball dead was Dean Wilkins, it just bounced off all the other players feet and went at least a yard as they tried to bring it under control :lolol:

TBH I prefered laying down in the sun on the east terrace watching balls being 'controlled' 20 yards off at a tangent for a throw-in in the mid 90's, than the suicidal dross of Spring 2019.

This season has a big ring of 1982 about it . . . teams in the top flight and our kit, hopefully not the results. really don't give a toss about the cups any more its just a snooze fest from round 4-6 then the big boys hoover up.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Just looking at the squads of pretty much all the teams this could potentially be in terms of player ability the most talented premier league season ever? Shame fans probably won't be in the crowd to see it or at least not all of it .

Every year the premier league is tough but this season coming just looks like another level.. Pretty much every side is starting to make serious signings. Really hard to know what to expect this season. Still think all three promoted sides are in trouble but also wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Villa us Sheffield United and West Ham battling it out as well although I feel the last 3 I mentioned will be fine.

Expect City and Liverpool to be the top 2 but Chelsea, United and Arsenal drastically closing the gap. Everton just keep spending, Leicester and Wolves probably solidified as top half sides although both I think will drop a few positions. Southampton could be outsiders for Europe.

Really looking forward to this one but part of me feels like it'll be the hardest yet.

Does anyone else feel a similar way, or see it differently?

Yes much tougher than the previous three years we've been in with only Fulham looking really weak - that said West Brom are bound to struggle but so might we without a strike force - we need a good start and although Chelsea looked stronger than us they are certainly beatable

Nov 22, 2017
BN1

That was the game at Donny the previous season, when we joined their supporters demonstrating against their owners, led by our own Press and Communications Manager. One of our banners was 'At least Archer didn't pick the team' .

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yes much tougher than the previous three years we've been in with only Fulham looking really weak - that said West Brom are bound to struggle but so might we without a strike force - we need a good start and although Chelsea looked stronger than us they are certainly beatable

Our squad is the same as last year pretty much except Lallana and Veltman for Mooy and Duffy arguable improvements. Ben White stepping up as well. If we sign a decent forward option or two an attacking left wing back and perhaps a fast defensive midfielder I think we'll be in much better shape to push for top 10. Currently, I think our squad is so thin and should a Trossard, Maupay or a Bissouma get injured our attacking threat is next to nothing.

I think there are 5 or 6 teams we could definitely finish above however could also see us struggling again without improvements.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They will go down
I honestly think this might be the season that their ridiculous luck runs out. They have nobody left to sell, they're hemorrhaging money on wages, they still owe millions in fees and they mortgage each season based on the following season's tv income to the tune of £40m.

Seggers is suddenly (well actually always was) only worth about £30m and they owe a massive cut of that to Man United. He still wants to leave but they are stuck in a limbo where they need to sell but they can't afford to.

Add in him, Barndoor Benny, and Sakho all still scalping them for £6.5m a year a piece (plus Cahill, Meyer "WHO?!" and others on a huge wedge) and something has to give......

That ringfenced cash will have to come into play.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Always going to be the shittest with no fans but hopefully that will start changing October and things will improve

Armchair fans prob not fussed

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They could have picked someone from the crowd TBH. We could have played for three hours and still not looked like scoring
And that still wouldn't have been as bad as when we got stuffed by Darlo at Priestfield. Without a doubt the worst performance by a football team I have ever witnessed.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And that still wouldn't have been as bad as when we got stuffed by Darlo at Priestfield. Without a doubt the worst performance by a football team I have ever witnessed.

Some pre Gritt Goldstone performances would run that game very close

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I agree that's the worst I've seen Brighton play but the Donny match was notable because both teams were utterly abject

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I agree that's the worst I've seen Brighton play but the Donny match was notable because both teams were utterly abject
Yes, I can imagine and that's fair enough as Donny were also appalling (fortunately).

But when the difference between two utterly **** sides is Marco Gabbiadini (scoring a ****ing hat trick!?) you know you've witnessed something special in the levels of shitness.

And I travelled from bloody Sheffield to watch it..... with 4 Darlo fans. Man alive.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some pre Gritt Goldstone performances would run that game very close

The rady/Case era was notable for the quality being in a totally different time zone.

we used to literally roll around in fits of giggles on the east terrace, one notable cock up was a simple crossfield pass along the ground to Marley (Peter Smith) it took the slightest of bobbles and rolled straight over his foot and out for a throw in.

Norman Cook and his mates used to sit/stand/lay nearby ( beats International days just before FBS) we used to joke about being better ourselves . . . . I've always wondfered if NC watched thinking . . . .I can't play myself, but I can afford £500, thats should improve the playing squad. . . .

we were utter gash. It didn't really matter at the time there were far bigger fish to fry. and FBS invaluable contribution came after said fish were fried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here