Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best players not capped by England

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the late 60's / early 70's Everton were one of the top teams in England - they won the league in (I think) 1970. The whole team was driven on by a brilliant all-English midfield of Ball, Harvey and Kendall.

Alan Ball, as we all know, was in the world cup winning team, and an England regular for many years. Kendall never played for England, Harvey played once.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think they were second div at the time 1990 world cup. Was at uni there and went to most games and he was class.

And there was Peter Knowles brother of the late Cyril. Peter played for Wolves and some say would have become an England regular but gave up football to be Jehovahs Witness [No I don't know why he could not have done both, sorry].

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I always thought Gary Mabbutt never got a cap just checked Wiki and he played 16 times. Bit before my time but I don't remember any of them!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It could be argued that Dean Ashton has a case for this. He DID pick up a solitary England cap, but in the absolute farce of a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago, when, if I recall correctly, the starting goalkeeper was Peterborough's Joe Lewis?

It's a shame that injuries knackered his career, he had bags of potential.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Jimmy Adamson, captain of Burnley in late 50s early 60s. They won the league and were cup finalists and he was something of a legend but never got a full cap for England.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I was arguing with some guy about how much more difficult it was to get an England cap in the past. I said that Sami Hyypia played in modern times and never got an England cap so he could not have been much of a player! This guy told me that Hyypia was finished! I said 'no shirt Sherlock! That's why he's now a manager'. Honestly! What an idiot!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pogue Mahone;6606814 John Hollins? He was excellent said:
Think you will find he played for England and if my memory is correct it was against Wales and was our captain and his brother ex Albion keeper Dave Hollins captained Wales, but I could be mistaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here