Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best player YOU have played against?

Paul Ifill

Same as.

He was at Millwall at the time and somehow was playing in a summer 6 a side tournament at st Francis in Haywards Heath, I spent our entire match against his lot trying to kick him and never got close, he knew what was coming and was gone before I got near.

Crippled his mate though, which made me smile.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Lionel Messi.

Though to tell the truth he looked a lot older and fatter. And a bit balder, too. Come to think of it, he looked a lot like my elder brother. I was Cristiano Ronaldo at the time. I won 3-1.

In truth, Peter Allen, of Brighton and England Boys, Tottenham Youth, and Leyton Orient.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Darren Hargreaves who is Owen's older brother and who was the better player until a knee injury got the better of him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In Englsnd played once as a lad against erstwhile "remember him?" Seagull Gavin Geddes who it has to be said was pretty useful.

In Taipei one of the other ex pat teams had a player who'd been on Bayren Munich's books before getting a serious knee injury. He couldn't run at all. Before I knew his past I came up against him playing on the left as I was filling in at right back - very much not my position. I thought he was easy as he couldn't run. They hit a ropey high ball to him which he killed dead, shimmied inside me and slammed in to the top corner from 30 yards at about the pace Kaz hits it at. I was swiftly moved inside then subtly replaced. He lasted another 5 mins before he came off because his knee hurt.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Tom Ince. His old man (Paul) asked if his son could join in our game of 5-a-side whist on holiday in Portugal. He was only about 14 at the time, ran rings round us.

I played for London Hotels against Amsterdam Hotels back when God's dog was a puppy, and Johan Cruyff kicked off, does that count?

None of us knew he was, he had just made the Ajax first team. You could tell from the way he kicked off he was going to be a superstar.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I played against Nigel Spink, then later we played in the same team, very good keeper and a nice bloke. I also played against Neil Smillie a few times, he was good but i think he made it because his Dad was an ex pro.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
If we're going Cricket aswell i managed to dispatch Graham Thorpe to the boundary when he played for Farnham cc,he made a mess of my Stumps next ball:lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Gerry Armstrong. Put a header past me in goal at 100 mph (so it seemed at the time). Also playing was Mike Trusson who was the polar opposite.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
My mate Dykey who is a Tomas Brolin lookalike and actually not too dissimilar in skill level apart from being much slower than Brolin
I don't think I ever managed to get the ball off him either in training or match scenario (local football)

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I used to play with Darren Freeman's brother in the street a lot when we were kids. I was always in goal because I'm shit. Once in a while Darren would pop up and drill a shot at me.

I also when to school with Ross Johnson.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A name that keeps cropping up, I marked Darren Freeman at Hove Park in about '93 when he was obviously a ringer for a Sunday League side. I was in my late 20's and I was feckin' knackered. He didn't score though!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Jason Macateer when I was at Tranmere...bloody good he was too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here