Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best place for new car tyres in Brighton?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Rapid Auto Centre, North Street, Portslade, Friends of the Albion, Vicentes home shirt sponsors, ask for Gary Stevens (his real name), 01273 413030, always good prices, and great service, from an independent.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Etyres.com
They come to you and fit. I've used them several times and always found them cheap and convenient.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Setyres and Fields tyres are usually pretty decent on price, avoid kwik fit like the plague!

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Thought I'd get a general opinion before replacing my tyres, which have just scraped through the MOT, with 2/3mm to spare.

You say with 2-3mm to spare - new tyres are only 7-8mm with the legal minimum being 1.6. Are you sure you really need them now?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
You say with 2-3mm to spare - new tyres are only 7-8mm with the legal minimum being 1.6. Are you sure you really need them now?

1.6. is just the legal limit, not the recommended changeover measure. You should be changing as it nears 2mm anyway, especially given winter is coming, new tyres will be far better with regards aquaplaning with 7/8mm of tread.

If it were the beginning of summer, I'd say take them to 2mm but at this time of year it will get the most benefit from changing. They won't wear much over the cold/wet months (most wear will be when hot/dry so may as well get the benefit of new tyres now).

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Black rock tyres Brighton. they also have a mobile van 01273 690955

New and used and normally wont be beaten on price.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
1.6. is just the legal limit, not the recommended changeover measure. You should be changing as it nears 2mm anyway, especially given winter is coming, new tyres will be far better with regards aquaplaning with 7/8mm of tread.

If it were the beginning of summer, I'd say take them to 2mm but at this time of year it will get the most benefit from changing. They won't wear much over the cold/wet months (most wear will be when hot/dry so may as well get the benefit of new tyres now).

All of the information gathered by the big boys (Michelin, Pirelli, continental Bridgestone etc) recommend changing at 3mm due to the braking efficiency (wet and dry) drastically dropping off below 3mm.

Agree with the rest of your post (with 10+ years in that part of the motor trade :) )

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All of the information gathered by the big boys (Michelin, Pirelli, continental Bridgestone etc) recommend changing at 3mm due to the braking efficiency (wet and dry) drastically dropping off below 3mm.

The man speaks sense- while it's fair to say the manufacturers have a vested interest in you replacing your tyres more often, there is nonetheless sound evidence to back up their case. Would never drive a car round at work which only had 2mm on the treads. It's an easy thing to ignore, but it's one of those things that you'll never realise how important it is until the worst happens and your life/safety depends on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here