Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best PL goalkeeper ever?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Peter Schmeichel.

I’m not even sure Martin warrants discussion, made easy saves look spectacular.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst there's no question in my mind that Nigel Martyn wasn't fit to velcro Schmeichel's gloves (I saw Schmeichel play in the flesh a number of times, and he just had such an incredible presence), it is striking how few caps a number of top English players won during that era:

Tim Flowers - 11
Steve Bruce - 0
Gary Pallister - 22
Nigel Winterburn - 2
Lee Dixon - 22
Matt Le Tissier - 8
Les Ferdinand - 17
Andy Cole - 15
Stan Collymore - 3

It certainly seems easier in more recent times to get a cap, particularly when you consider that Ashley Cole has more to himself than those nine combined.

Not sure you can make a comment like that without actually making reference to the players that were keeping them out of the England team. The three strikers were kept out by the likes of Shearer and Sherringham and then Owen. Gary Neville, Stuart Pearce and Ashley Cole at full backs and Adams Campbell in the middle. Seamen was probably most people's selection as No.1. The only one of those listed that should have won more is Le Tissier but imagine how much more intolerable his tweets would be now if he'd be doing backed up by 60/70 caps!!!!

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Nigel ****ing Martyn :ffsparr:

Don't get me wrong very good keeper but not a legend of the game.

Hard to look past Peter Schmeichel. With honourable mentions for Seaman, Cech, Van Der Sar. **** it I would even chuck in Jens Lehman as part of the Invincibles...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As a slight aside, am I imagining Lewis Dunk going in goal at some point?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had a long chat with a friend last night about goalkeepers. He says Peter Schmeichel. Personally I went with Nigel Martyn, as he was brilliant beyond belief in every single Everton game I watched back then as well as in plenty of games I've watched from the 90s.

Who would be your choice?

Peter Schmeichel for me. Dominated his area, made outrageous saves, always made himself big, and had a complete meltdown with his defenders whenever he had to save a shot. Big part of United’s total dominance at the time imo.

Didn’t Denmark win the Euros as a wildcard when he was keeper too? Thread closed as they say :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
David James

I saw him concede a really soft goal to Raphael Meade when we won at Watford, not in the PL though in fairness.

I remember Watford bringing on Rod Thomas when they went a goal down, scared the shit out of me, I believe he was John Barnes replacement. Turned into one of my all time favourite Albion players, especially memorable was that “save” he got sent off for at Gillingham, Legend :lolol: maybe you had to have been there :smile:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Out of interest, when did they play in the EPL?

Not that I'm endorsing this idea about the best EPL goalkeeper rather than who was the best ever in the top flight.

It's the same thing

EPL/Division One or whatever you want to call it

So it's the best keeper in the last 25 years?

Peter Cech when at Chelsea

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Schmeichel
Cech
Barthez
Seaman
Van Der Sar

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I would of loved to of seen Buffon play in the Prem. Best keeper of his generation bar none.

As he didn't, I'd have to plump for Schmeichel the elder. Great keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here