Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best music festival attended.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Plumpton 1969 and Phun City 1970 unbelievable for a 15 / 16 year old which I was at the time. Nothing can beat Glastonbury though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
The original Monsters of Rock festivals at Donington. One day, one stage, all killer, no filler unlike these overblown, multi-day festivals when anyone who played recorder as a kid can get on stage.

Think that 1988 probably was my favourite - £16.50 to see Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns N Roses and Helloween.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...1DqFM3R1IzmXV3Cawqpo3q5w&ust=1464465386987250

Of course that day also tragically saw the loss of two fans who were crushed at the front of the stage. I had been down the front earlier in the day but decided it was too manic for me and retreated to the relative quite further back. First we knew of the tragedy was when our worried parents were still up waiting for us to return (pre-mobile phones).

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was at Reading 78 and 83. Knebworth 78 (Genesis) and 79 (Led Zeppelin) Charlton 76 (Who) Milton Keynes Bowl 90 (ZZ Top)

The best....probably Led Zeppelin.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
From a rap point of view, was the Eminem gig at Milton Keynes Bowl 2003.
Eminen aside, Cypress Hill were amazing.
Me and Mrs AR watched from the back getting doped up on the smoke of other people's happy spliffs, whilst watching young kids cutting white stuff in front of us in full view of stewards.......
Amazing stuff, or was it it groovy, can't remember :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you're talking festivals, then Monsters of Rock at Castle Donnington 1980, More, Blackfoot, Slade, Blue Oyster Cult, Whitesnake and ACDC.

Best gig, Queen at the Brighton centre 1979

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The original Monsters of Rock festivals at Donington. One day, one stage, all killer, no filler unlike these overblown, multi-day festivals when anyone who played recorder as a kid can get on stage.

Think that 1988 probably was my favourite - £16.50 to see Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns N Roses and Helloween.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...1DqFM3R1IzmXV3Cawqpo3q5w&ust=1464465386987250

Of course that day also tragically saw the loss of two fans who were crushed at the front of the stage. I had been down the front earlier in the day but decided it was too manic for me and retreated to the relative quite further back. First we knew of the tragedy was when our worried parents were still up waiting for us to return (pre-mobile phones).

As you know I was at this as well. I did about 4 Monsters in total.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I'm seeing Iron Maiden on Tuesday and ACDC on Wednesday.

Jul 7, 2003
Reading in 1978 was quite an eye-opener for a 15 year old.
View attachment 75219

Interesting the really diverse Reading 78 line up and how it had become very 'samey' in 1989.

As an aside I'm seeing Iron Maiden on Tuesday and ACDC on Wednesday.

...and where was my invite? Sad that Maiden will do four shows in Germany, three in Italy and even two in Switzerland but only one in the UK. Nicko McBrain was recently quoted as saying he would love to do an old-fashioned UK tour.

First time I saw Maiden was at the old Southampton Gaumont (now Mayflower). If they turned up at the old traditional venues with a black backcloth and someone dressed as Eddie then the fans wouldn't care that there is no giant stage show. So go on Nicko - why not get the others to do a proper UK tour of the provinces for old times sake.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Isle of Wight 1969 and 70.

2Q==
attachment.php

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...and where was my invite? Sad that Maiden will do four shows in Germany, three in Italy and even two in Switzerland but only one in the UK. Nicko McBrain was recently quoted as saying he would love to do an old-fashioned UK tour.

First time I saw Maiden was at the old Southampton Gaumont (now Mayflower). If they turned up at the old traditional venues with a black backcloth and someone dressed as Eddie then the fans wouldn't care that there is no giant stage show. So go on Nicko - why not get the others to do a proper UK tour of the provinces for old times sake.

I reckon once Download is out the way they'll announce a UK tour but not sure if it will be include a week at Hammersmith Odeon like the old days. I'd love it if they did though.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I reckon once Download is out the way they'll announce a UK tour but not sure if it will be include a week at Hammersmith Odeon like the old days. I'd love it if they did though.

thinking the same thing

due to the lack of UK dates on the Book Of Souls tour

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Isle of Wight, 1970. An incredible line-up and one of the main reasons I'm happy today to be an old man.

Supertramp, Groundhogs, Taste, Chicago, Family, Procol Harem, 10 Years After, Miles Davis, ELP, The Doors, The Who, Sly & the Family Stone, Pentangle, Free, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Richie Havens, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Jimi Hendrix.

Has there ever been a better rock festival in the UK?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thinking the same thing

due to the lack of UK dates on the Book Of Souls tour

It's a certainty they're contracted to not play any other proper UK dates around the time of Download. I reckon a Winter uk tour

Graham2

Oct 25, 2003
Supertramp, Groundhogs, Taste, Chicago, Family, Procol Harem, 10 Years After, Miles Davis, ELP, The Doors, The Who, Sly & the Family Stone, Pentangle, Free, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Richie Havens, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Jimi Hendrix.

Has there ever been a better rock festival in the UK?
Well yes the Bath Festival in June 1970
Fantastic lineup - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Zapppa and the Mothers, Canned Heat, Johnny Winter with the great Rick Derringer in his band, Donovan, Steppenwolf, Moody Blues and the Byrds plus the under rated Its a Beautiful Day. To see those bands in one place at the time was awesome. Anyone else there?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bath Festival 1970 - forerunner of the subsequent Glasto. festivals. Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Pink Floyd, Donovan, Led Zeppelin, Country Joe McDonald and a few others. Just pipped the Isle of Wight the same year, Hendrix, The Who, Tiny Tim and Leonard Cohen notwithstanding.
Played at a few in recent years (on the very much smaller stages!), but nothing's ever matched the buzz of those.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here