Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best memory from Gillingham years

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I will always remember the terrifying 70 mph motorway dashes back on the B&H double-deckers.

That was pretty scary sometimes, especially when there was a gale force wind blowing.

For me, the only really memorable thing was the yummy bacon rolls. The rest was quite forgettable.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
the "Brian Horton's Blue & White Army" chant that didn't stop when Barnet scored
Gabbiadini's hat trick
Richie Barker being names MOM when he had been substituted after about 55? minutes
the odd shaped St John's Ambulance staff who had to run to the furthest parts of the pitch (small female carrying stretcher)
the tressle table and van that was the mobile/club shop
saying hello to almost every Albion fan
players acknowleding you individually when they ran out
Ifejiagwa's only home appearance
Uri Geller
the Rod Thomas save
getting back to my car and finding it in one piece after every match

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
I remember Peter Smith, gorgeous long legs PUMPING, hair BOUNCING as he raced down the line, and then with no player within 20 yards of him.... He tackled himself and the ball dribbled into touch. To be fair, he then laughed at his own inadequacy. But, God loves a trier and a hero was born... Can't remember the oppo but there was an impressive 3,000 or so there for effectively an away game

Where's priestfield

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My most memorable no match was against Hartlepool. Car broke down on way and ended up waiting for Green Flag in pouring rain. Once back on the road it was not worth continuing due to the time and ended up watching Crawley is some non league encounter. We ended up beating Hartlepool. Was pretty pissed off.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The nil-nil draw with Donny...

I knew then that we could not sink any lower.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Loved going on the junior seagulls coaches with laura and occasionally Becky...met some lovely people, paul, Colin etc and actually enjoyed the gillingham experience...we were battling to save our club for the generations to come and we had to stick by the club and the team come hell or high water....I am not dissing anyone who didn't go and gave up on the albion and have come back to enjoy the good times now!!!!!!

It was good stuff

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dick Knight and the level of communication from the club I always felt was very impressive. The luxury villa comment at half-time.....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Looking back,i am still not sure what was worse,losing the Goldstone or playing at Gillingham,but i do have some good memories of that era and i did a few away days back then,but i could not go every week.

I suppose being able to swap stands during the game was good,parking around the ground and being able to make it back to Brighton in 1999 was the Best of all.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm one of the very VERY few people who as a venue (and leaving aside the quality of the football) actually preferred Priestfield to Withdean. Partly for the terracing and because POTG meant we could decide on the morning of the match if we were going or not, and partly because it was a good family day out. We used to go via Orpington, have lunch at the in-laws and then me, the kids and my father-in-law would go to the game leaving my wife to spend the afternoon with her Mum. Then we'd come back later, miserable cold and depressed, to a nice roaring fire, a pot of tea and a plate of sandwiches. I've got real affection for those days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It started out dreadfully on an August (sic) evening, a cup game (Freight Rover) in The Rainham end, with the setting sun making it hard to see the dire fare, around 1000 in the 'stadium', thinking 'oh well, at least we stayed in the league' . . . But it turned out alright. Met loads of people (who have been intermittent but very fondly regarded chums since). I didn't plan on going much but its only 25 minutes drive from Faversham, so easy peasy. Ended up going to most of the games. And I indoctrinated my lad into the club - something you can't buy. Got back in touch with my roots. Learned (at the age of 40) to get involved in the game (ranting and raving, even singing - something I never did as a kid at the Goldstone). I even phoned 6-0-6 to have a rant one evening. Discovered the Mailing List. Started going to away games (before that, a couple of visits to shitehole park, the Dell and Aldershot had been my lot). Happy days. And after a time, we became a respectable club, and I got a season ticket. The Gillingham years drew me in. Beating that adversity, making new friends, brilliant. The games were awful, and the only bit of class on show was Minton. Whatever happened to him?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It started out dreadfully on an August (sic) evening, a cup game (Freight Rover) in The Rainham end, with the setting sun making it hard to see the dire fare, around 1000 in the 'stadium', thinking 'oh well, at least we stayed in the league' . . . But it turned out alright. Met loads of people (who have been intermittent but very fondly regarded chums since). I didn't plan on going much but its only 25 minutes drive from Faversham, so easy peasy. Ended up going to most of the games. And I indoctrinated my lad into the club - something you can't buy. Got back in touch with my roots. Learned (at the age of 40) to get involved in the game (ranting and raving, even singing - something I never did as a kid at the Goldstone). I even phoned 6-0-6 to have a rant one evening. Discovered the Mailing List. Started going to away games (before that, a couple of visits to shitehole park, the Dell and Aldershot had been my lot). Happy days. And after a time, we became a respectable club, and I got a season ticket. The Gillingham years drew me in. Beating that adversity, making new friends, brilliant. The games were awful, and the only bit of class on show was Minton. Whatever happened to him?

You make a good write up there,but how on earth have you only made 9 (NINE) posts since 2003?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I also think it was football in the raw...none of the corporate bollocks that now dominates the game....managers, players, owners were all accessible and available for a chat and a beer...you felt like you were part of the club, not just a CUSTOMER.

Those days have gone I personally think

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
I've been wracking my brains to try and come up with a best memory from Gillingham, but all I could come up with was smiling when Peter Smith dribbled the ball into touch for the second time.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I also think it was football in the raw...none of the corporate bollocks that now dominates the game....managers, players, owners were all accessible and available for a chat and a beer...you felt like you were part of the club, not just a CUSTOMER.

Those days have gone I personally think

I know it's been a general progression,a creeping up as such,and for us at here at Albion i suppose moving to the Amex saw us experience straight away what we had only ever seen at away games or on the TV,but when did things really start to change,in the game as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here