Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best Manager?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Clearly Pep and Johan Cruyff are above Zidane in terms of managerial achievements. However, this discussion is about individuals who have done great things as both a player and a manager, which ZZ undoubtedly has. (Your assertion that he won things with a 'ready made team' doesn't stand up to scrunity when other managers, notably Lopetegui, struggled with the same group of players in 18/19). Neither Wenger or Mourinho did anything as players, so IMO aren't really relevant for this discussion.
No I know they are not. I just don't think there are many, maybe only a handful of great players who became great manager. Johan Cruyff is the only one I can think of. Zidane: great player, good manager but not great.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No I know they are not. I just don't think there are many, maybe only a handful of great players who became great manager. Johan Cruyff is the only one I can think of. Zidane: great player, good manager but not great.

You have to include Beckenbaur.
Probably at a higher level than Cruyff in both categories. In my opinion, obviously.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
You have to include Beckenbaur.
Probably at a higher level than Cruyff in both categories. In my opinion, obviously.
Yes he would be another. But if you list of the great players none really did much in management: Pele, Maradona, Ronaldhinio, Best, Platini....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here