Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Best Man Speech - Palace Groom!!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Hi all,

My mate is getting married in a months time and unfortunately he is a Palace fan (I know, I know)!

I’m seeking some ideas how I can ‘nicely’ poke fun at the fact he supports Palace (along with half the room!). Any ideas welcome, somehow comparing marriage to supporting palace is my thinking! :)

Thanks

Say something along the lines of having more class when choosing a bride to choosing a football club.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Confirm with both the church and wedding venue that they have been paid in full and not at the traditional rate of 1p in the pound.
Pay the DJ not to play Glad All Over.
Finally to keep with tradition take a dump in the matrimonial bed.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Something about hoping that the marriage isn’t a depressing hard slog, like watching Crystal Palace is, and that you hope the bride doesn’t leave him, like Zaha is doing to them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some financial advice for the couple would be nice. Maybe buy lots of expensive things on credit, and then go into administration so they don't have to pay it off.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Something about hoping that the marriage isn’t a depressing hard slog, like watching Crystal Palace is, and that you hope the bride doesn’t leave him, like Zaha is doing to them.
To be fair, Zaha has more than done his time with them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi all,

My mate is getting married in a months time and unfortunately he is a Palace fan (I know, I know)!

I’m seeking some ideas how I can ‘nicely’ poke fun at the fact he supports Palace (along with half the room!). Any ideas welcome, somehow comparing marriage to supporting palace is my thinking! :)

Thanks

Reactions: SAC

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be honest, to show real class, you'll avoid any little football rivalry witticisms. After all, it is his day.

And it could all be downhill from here on.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Borrow from Rowan Atkinson:

"If his entire family may be likened to a compost heap - and I think they can - ***** is the biggest weed growing out of it. I think I'd be more inspired by the sight of a cow pat. ***** is the kind of man people emigrate to avoid"

"As for the rest of you sitting around this table not directly related to me, you can sod off. I wouldn't trust any of you to sit the right way on a lavatory"

"I propose a toast to the caterers. And the pigeon that crapped on the grooms family's car at the church"

"I remember when I first met *****. I said to my wife - she's the lovely woman propping up that horrendous old drunk of a mother of his - either this man is suffering from serious brain damage, or the new vacuum cleaner has arrived"

Last edited:

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
What's that on the gift table? Oh, handwritten cheque from Steve Parrish - how very generous.

Just remember:

Don't let it bounce

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hi all,

Thanks
If there are folk there not from Sussex, you could begin by saying -welcome to Sussex, gateway to the continent and home to the incontinent. Not a dig at palace, I know, but it did get an intial laugh.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Personally I wouldn't overdo it on the anti Palace jokes as from what you've said only half the room is likely to understand and appreciate the rivalry. You risk the other the other half politely laughing but in reality not having a clue.

One of the classic pit falls of a best man's speech is one too laden with in jokes. I went to a wedding a few years back and the groom and best man had been mates in the marines together along with a handful of the rest of the room. Way too many bootneck jokes meant the speech fell a bit flat :(
Totally agree with this. I would make just one gentle anti Palace reference in the speech for the reasons very well explained by @METALMICKY. Don't risk the speech falling flat on it's face.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
take one of these along...and swear like a trooper
s-l500.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here