Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Best 'jobs' within Sport

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
My job is pretty good, working as a freelance Tour Manager looking after supporters groups. I've seen every England cricket series overseas for the last ten years and every Australia tour overseas for the last 3 years. I managed to fit in the last Olympics and will be in Rio next year also. I even cracked the football World Cup including a semi-final and the final. I have a couple of Grand Prix's to work at also. One day I'll probably get sussed out, but until then I'll continue riding the wave.
The downside is that I'm sitting this week in the middle of a group of Aussies at Lords and have to wear an Aussie polo shirt and yellow cap.
However, I did manage to see Tony Bloom today and shook his hand.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sitting this week in the middle of a group of Aussies at Lords and have to wear an Aussie polo shirt and yellow cap.

....you were doing so well up to that point.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Being a bit of a geek I do love a stat or two. Can't help thinking that a job as a sports statistician would've suited me down to the ground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think top end golf/tennis/cricket groundsman would be good.

Not football though, that's probably more of a ball ache.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think top end golf/tennis/cricket groundsman would be good.

Not football though, that's probably more of a ball ache.

Quite the opposite, I'd think. In the three first examples, there would be a high degree of stress, due to the fact that your decisions and efforts will have a massive bearing on the outcome of the sporting action.

Whereas the football groundsman is really only judged on how pristine his pitch LOOKS, rather than how it plays. His most stressful decision is whether to cut traditional stripes or go for a fancy pattern.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A neighbour of my father in law, and now a friend of mine, was chief sports editor for the Press Association (who write reports and then sell them to the press around the globe) He was paid to attend every major sporting event, from the rugby world cup in 2003, to Ashes 2005, to boxing world title events etc, for many years. This is his book...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Deadlifne-Off-Beat-Observations-Adventures/dp/1909626465

I can't match that, but I've reported on FA Cup finals, a European Championship final, a World Cup qualifier between Serbia and Bosnia, 12 Super Bowls and a World Series. And, best of all, P*rtsm**th going bust - twice!

#Twats

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Teaching football finance for a living is a good gig compared to standard lecturing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With the exception of the cricket commentary gig, mentioned in the OP, most of the jobs are probably not as much fun as they sound.

In my own job I've worked overseas at Olympics, Pan American Games, Swimming World (and European) Championships, Speedway Grand Prix, Three-day events, Show Jumping GP, etc. Most involve hard work, long hours, and a lot more time spent at airports, hotels and venues than enjoying the exotic location you find yourself in.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd imagine any of the higher echelon roles in the IOC and particularly FIFA (until recently of course) would have been amazing. Little real work, but lots of trips and huge amounts of cash (allegedly).

View attachment 66994

This chap has it made.

I sat opposite Andy Naylor on a very late night train taking him home from the Olympics. He had been covering the fortunes of some minor Sussex competitor and had to write up a story for the Argus before turning in for the night. He reckoned it would be 2am at the earliest before he got any sleep.

His next assignment was at 10am the following morning, somewhere on the Thames, where another obscure Sussex competitor was scheduled to be defeated in another Olympic event.

This didn't strike me as an attractive or glamorous job.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I sat opposite Andy Naylor on a very late night train taking him home from the Olympics. He had been covering the fortunes of some minor Sussex competitor and had to write up a story for the Argus before turning in for the night. He reckoned it would be 2am at the earliest before he got any sleep.

His next assignment was at 10am the following morning, somewhere on the Thames, where another obscure Sussex competitor was scheduled to be defeated in another Olympic event.

This didn't strike me as an attractive or glamorous job.
Guess that the Argus don't have the budget for him stay overnight!

My job is pretty good, working as a freelance Tour Manager looking after supporters groups. I've seen every England cricket series overseas for the last ten years and every Australia tour overseas for the last 3 years. I managed to fit in the last Olympics and will be in Rio next year also. I even cracked the football World Cup including a semi-final and the final. I have a couple of Grand Prix's to work at also. One day I'll probably get sussed out, but until then I'll continue riding the wave.
The downside is that I'm sitting this week in the middle of a group of Aussies at Lords and have to wear an Aussie polo shirt and yellow cap.
However, I did manage to see Tony Bloom today and shook his hand.

Tony Bloom is supporting Australia?

Hmmmm... After yesterday's performance, I find this as dispiriting as Lady Bracknell's rediscovery of the fact that she comes from a long line of Aussie ancestors going back to 1830.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
The chap who travels everywhere with the England cricket team who reports for Sky. Tim Abraham I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite the opposite, I'd think. In the three first examples, there would be a high degree of stress, due to the fact that your decisions and efforts will have a massive bearing on the outcome of the sporting action.

Whereas the football groundsman is really only judged on how pristine his pitch LOOKS, rather than how it plays. His most stressful decision is whether to cut traditional stripes or go for a fancy pattern.

But my job will consist of sitting on a giant lawnmower driving around Augusta & Lords... maybe not tennis, after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here