Best football experience ever?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
So was the Play off Final your best Albion Experience ever?

Sure, Cardiff had the best ever Stadium that I had the pleasure to watch Albion play in, and a wonderful result, but did it mean the most as a result? If we had gone away beaten, it wouldn't have been the end of the world...well, probably would have been for 12 weeks or so until the new season starts!

Difficult to beat:

1. Being in with the Hereford fans for that make or break game - but not being able to celebrate until I had left the ground. The tension, and the amount at stake were far more. Robbie...what a hero!

2. Doncaster Rovers, the last ever game at the Goldstone. What tears and emotions at that game. The bugler playing before the game as well! Stuart Storer will always be remembered for that goal!

3. Hartlepool - Fans United. With everything that had gone on that season, it made a change to have a celebration!

4. The FA Cup finals at Wembley. The experience of watching my team play in the Worlds best club cup competition brought it home how far we had come. Wembley was already a crumbling ground at that time. Too many red shirts around as well. And Smith did score!

5. Winning at Liverpool on way to 83 Final. How we ever managed to win in their back yard that year...sheer team effort. Great atmosphere! Jimmy Case spoils it for the Reds!

6. Semi Final win over Sheff Wed....wonderful outing from Sussex to take over the Clock End at Highbury. Great atmosphere and amazing scenes when we won..the reality took ages to register! That Jimmy Case goal!

7. My first ever game - Luton Town 18.10.69. We lost 1-2, but from then on it has been a part of my life and blood.

8. Chesterfield - Championship decider! Danny C's goal that set us up on our roller coaster ride over the last few seasons.

9. Mansfield Town - first game at Withdean. Great result, and a return to Brighton after all those miles, heartaches and awful performances at Priestfield. The new era! Darren Freeman!

10. Still to look forward to the first ever game at the Dick Knight Dome, Falmer. What an atmosphere that will be...The Boys are Back in Town!

Sure I can think of more - Dean Wilkins last minute free kick v Ipswich, play off game against milwall, beating Palace many times.....

So thanks lads for the Roller coaster existence! The last few years have been so memorable. Two Championships and Play off final victory. Incredible! What next..Play off winners next season? Keep the faith!

Now both my lads come too.....I am sure they will have many more wonderful Albion experiences to come.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Thats a great first post!:clap2:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
for me, the wycombe away protest this season was right up there too. not only was there the funniest moment ive experienced in ages - the whole megaphone saga, but there was the sit in. about 90% of the albion fans staying behind, singing and asking for the ground. all on 2 or 3 days notice too.

others have to be fans united - fans from all round the country uniting and supporting brighton just for one day, hang on, was that sunday at the playoff final

and of course the euphoria and pandamonium at hereford

coming home to withdean and tonking mansfield 6-0 werent too bad either.

the first championship parade was pretty special too, didnt know we could fill the streets that much

hopefully the best experience will be the first game at falmer in coca cola division 1

Last edited:

stratford seagull

Jul 30, 2003
Swindon
Still smiling about last Sunday even now!

First game was at the Goldstone v. Watford in 1963 (lost 4-1 and got relegated down to the old Div 4 that season), but I was hooked - thanks Dad!!!!

Cannot explain to people just how privileged I feel to follow this great club of ours - just as an away fan now.

And to say that I was there when Chippy scored at Swindon, or when Leon tucked away that penalty - superb.

P.S. And to be there when we clinched the County Championship last year - not a bad 12 months to be a fan of Sussex sport

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
mendoza10 said:
for me, the wycombe away protest this season was right up there too. not only was there the funniest moment ive experienced in ages - the whole megaphone saga, but there was the sit in. about 90% of the albion fans staying behind, singing and asking for the ground. all on 2 or 3 days notice too.

I felt really proud to be an Albion fan at Wrexham and the applause from the Wrexham fans at the end of the match was an emotional experience.

Wembley was only on the tv for me, although I felt proud to bursting that it was my team there.

Last Sunday has to be at the top for me. (I have to confess that I don't even like playoffs but have been converted)

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
The final was fantastic, also the semi's against swindon i don't think i will ever forget, chesterfield t withdean was another great night at withdean and also mansfield 6-0, i will never forget my first albion game either a 1-0 defeat against exeter, and also my first away trip at preston

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Whole Wycombe weekend was great, starting with the quiz on the Friday night.

Cardiff was great, obviously.

Hereford the most important.

Maybe because it's a recent event but the most exhilarating MOMENT for me was Virgs last minute goal against Swindon. We were down and out!

Now we are in the First Division.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
NOTHING will EVER come close to Hereford. Seeing the club we love brought back from the dead after 62 minutes - the final whistle, the conga line, but just knowing there was a future was the biggest high this club has ever given me.

Cullip's header against Chesterfield brought an end to the dark days in the best possible way - Brighton are back.

Come on Prescott - match that if you can. I long to add you to my list of Albion Legends.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Chesterfield game was the best ive been at. dont remember much of the game, but the sheer joy at the end. It wasnt just being Champions but it meant that we where going to do more than merely survive, we where going to compete. Look at us now, going to the 1st and our biggest worry is weather we stay up or drop back to the 2nd.

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
of course there was the Notts County play off final...more Albion fans there than for the FA Cup final.

Poor performance and bad result....look at Notts County now. We have had more downs and plenty of ups since 1991!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Newcastle away in 1979 to get promotion to the first division.

Liverpool away in the FA Cup in 1991 when we fought back to get a 2-2 draw. All the Liverpool fans that we spoke to after the game couldn't believe the support we had and the atmosphere created.

But my favourite has to be the second division game at White Hart Lane in 1976-77? when 48,000 saw one of the best 0-0 draws.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
has to be the semi final match against swindon at the withdean! After having the 1-0 lead from beating them at their place, i really though we were guaranteed the trip to cardiff and i was soo excited to go to cardiff. Then in extra time goin 2-0 down i thought it was over. So to equalise on agg. in extra time injury time. Then rush the pitch, then win on penalties rush the pitch again, be caught by the sky camara's, the rain suddenly coming down! amazing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports