Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best ever Calendar Year as an Albion Fan ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. Without doubt. It feels like we are sort of a proper top flight club now, and my imposter syndrome seems to have gone on holiday.

Jimmy Grimble

Yes, but there was that year recently (promotion year - possibly 2016) where we had accrued the most points out of any team in the football league. Or we were at least in the top 3/4 if not top. That was a good year.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Key component to the question is 'as a fan'. That makes it emotive rather than logical.

I would argue that my memories of the 1976 are so special to me, given I'd only just learnt who the Albion were and gotten interested, that they counter what is happening now. I was just learning to be a football fan.

Also, even the bad old years, when 200 of us stood on northern away terraces are wonderful memories. The football was rubbish, but I made friends and enjoyed the days.

Nowadays I'm just a grumpy old git, so I'm not sure I could say this was the best. But then again, I don't actually go to matches so that doesn't help.

I think my point is that your favourite year as a fan is intertwined with far more than the football itself.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
1979 was a good year as well. First time that top flight football was achieved after going so close the previous season.
An honourable mention for 1991 season, as know one expected that Brighton would get to Wembley and be 90mins from promotion again that season, for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Even as a JCL it’s difficult……I did most games during the promotion season and some of them were epic, as was the end of season stuff, but qualifying for Europe, which led to standing in the Cruyff Arena and playing Ajax (the Gods of football in my youth) off the park, and then confirming getting through the EL Group by winning in Athens probably just about pips Muzza nodding in a late winner at Birmingham and sprinting the length of the pitch. Only just though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Key component to the question is 'as a fan'. That makes it emotive rather than logical.

I would argue that my memories of the 1976 are so special to me, given I'd only just learnt who the Albion were and gotten interested, that they counter what is happening now. I was just learning to be a football fan.

Also, even the bad old years, when 200 of us stood on northern away terraces are wonderful memories. The football was rubbish, but I made friends and enjoyed the days.

Nowadays I'm just a grumpy old git, so I'm not sure I could say this was the best. But then again, I don't actually go to matches so that doesn't help.

I think my point is that your favourite year as a fan is intertwined with far more than the football itself.
Plenty of truth in this.

Objectively this really has to be the pinnacle, but the Nelson / Bremner promotion season will in SOME respects never be beaten for me, personally.

Following on from the end of the Athens thread, has this been our best ever Calendar Year to be an Albion Fan ?

RDZ doing wonders with our team whilst dogged with injuries etc.
Goals galore in most games.
FA Cup Semi final
European Tour
Qualifying for the next stage in Europe.

Add your own thoughts please.
Yeah, absolutely. Naturally, (nostalgically), I still like our years in the football league because it was none of the modern football stuff you get in the Prem etc BUT, I cannot disagree, it has been bloody incredible, as others have said, feels like we are a proper top flight team and club now and we have some incredible footballing moments to come, I am confident we can win a major trophy for the first time in our history, if we carry on with this trajectory.

Yeah, absolutely. Naturally, (nostalgically), I still like our years in the football league because it was none of the modern football stuff you get in the Prem etc BUT, I cannot disagree, it has been bloody incredible, as others have said, feels like we are a proper top flight team and club now and we have some incredible footballing moments to come, I am confident we can win a major trophy for the first time in our history, if we carry on with this trajectory.
Football league ie Withdean years etc, which were epic.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
It wasn't just that we achieved our best ever league position, and qualified for Europe and had a player who won a WC winners medal and were recognised as one of the most entertaining teams in the country by many respected pundits, but I also enjoyed the mega spending f*ckwits who thought they could just lift and shift all the good stuff we were doing completely crashing and burning. Best year ever....ever!

el punal

Without a doubt this definitely is the best year. In the nearly sixty years ( well 58 to be precise!) I have never known so many incredible moments of watching the Albion as these last twelve months. I would probably say that the absolute pinnacle was watching us play Ajax in Amsterdam but really loads more - that penalty to beat Man Utd 1-0, Enciso’s goals against Chelsea and Man City, Mitoma’s winner against Liverpool in the cup, demolishing Arsenal at the Emirates, celebrating our qualification for the Europa League after beating Southampton, the list goes on.

What has made me most proud of being a fan of this wonderful club is the respect, admiration and acknowledgement from other clubs’ fans, the media, and pundits of how bloody good we are at playing sumptuous football. :bowdown:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes, but there was that year recently (promotion year - possibly 2016) where we had accrued the most points out of any team in the football league. Or we were at least in the top 3/4 if not top. That was a good year.
I think that was that the same year that the 92nd team (or thereabouts) pointswise in a calendar year were Palace?

Jimmy Grimble

I think that was that the same year that the 92nd team (or thereabouts) pointswise in a calendar year were Palace?
Yeah, I think you’re right.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yeah, I think you’re right.
And here it is! https://experimental361.com/2016/12/31/2016-league-table/

1702077240080.png

1702077279093.png

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro