Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best English Club

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All possibly true but not quite the point.
If Nissan make cars in Sunderland, they are still Japanese cars.
By the same token, Minis made in Oxford are now German cars, because they are owned by BMW
Ergo, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool etc are now American clubs playing in the English Premier League.
Brighton were the leading English club, playing in the English premier League.
Not necessarily, it depends on the percentage and the origin of the components.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
2 classic Italian sayings
"If my grandma had wheels, she'd be a cart/bike"
"If my grandpa had 3 balls, he'd be a pinball machine"
A woman being referrred to as a bike in the UK, is a woman that a lot have people have "ridden". Best use cart if using that expression in English.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All possibly true but not quite the point.
If Nissan make cars in Sunderland, they are still Japanese cars.
By the same token, Minis made in Oxford are now German cars, because they are owned by BMW
Ergo, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool etc are now American clubs playing in the English Premier League.
Brighton were the leading English club, playing in the English premier League.
no. Nissan is a Japanese brand. BMW is a German owner. It's a bit more tentitive with Nissans, but Mini are still a British car maker, brand, location, culture.
Liverpool, Manchester clubs, Chelsea all play in England and more importantly their fans are mostly English. the fans make the club, not the owner.
your point is wrong.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
no. Nissan is a Japanese brand. BMW is a German owner. It's a bit more tentitive with Nissans, but Mini are still a British car maker, brand, location, culture.
Liverpool, Manchester clubs, Chelsea all have play in England and more importantly their fans are mostly English. the fans make the club, not the owner.
your point is wrong.
Not sure I agree entirely with that bit 🙂

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Liverpool, Manchester clubs, Chelsea all play in England and more importantly their fans are mostly English. the fans make the club, not the owner.
your point is wrong.
Although, the modern mini was designed by Americans working for BMW, and is also manufactured in other countries.
I also recall that on one of their models, they consistently stuck the back door on the right side, so if you were in the were in the back of one in Britain you had to get out into the road.
Anyway, in the case of Man City, Newcastle et al, "the fans make the club" is exactly what the sportswashers would like people to say. Making them look all cuddly and loveable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
cracking thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What are those in Italian?
I'm trying to learn at the moment, and it'd be nice to throw a few colloquial phrases about.
"If my grandma-io had wheel-ios , she'd be a cart/bike-io"
"If my grandpa-io had 3 ball-ios, he'd be a pinball machine-io”

it’s not difficult

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
What are those in Italian?
I'm trying to learn at the moment, and it'd be nice to throw a few colloquial phrases about.
Keep in mind that they're usually said with a slightly dialectal edge (e.g. "la mi' nonna" instead of "mia nonna" in Tuscany) or with grammar errors regarding verb tenses (e.g. "aveva" instead of "avesse" and "era" instead of "sarebbe") because they're very street-level sayings and you know those kind of things almost have to be said like that sometimes, regardless of correct grammar rules.

The correct standard versions would be:
"Se mia nonna avesse le ruote sarebbe una carretta."
"Se mio nonno avesse tre palle sarebbe un flipper."

There are also other variations on the theme, for example one of my school teachers - like a true Milanese - used to say "If my grandma had a trolley pole she'd be a tram." ("Se mia nonna avesse la perteghetta* sarebbe un tram.")

*Milanese dialect

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
2 classic Italian sayings
"If my grandma had wheels, she'd be a cart/bike"
"If my grandpa had 3 balls, he'd be a pinball machine"
And if @Your Mum had a cock and balls she'd be your dad.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If I wear a black hoodie, lead a bunch of blokes in black hoodies and barge my way into stadia, I am still a Spurs fan.

Ah but if you wore a black hoodie, hung around with a load of other school kiddies wearing hoodies, went to a brand new state-of-the-art cladding on a rat infested shithole in Croydon after burning half of the city down, got the clubs owners to kick out long term STH so you can bang a drum behind the goal and wave a flag when clapping hands, barged into their rivals stadium, chuck a few flares about amongst our own fans, get excited when a manager comes out of the geriatric home to save the season and have our best player a diving crybaby, you'd still be a twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here