Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BEST England player

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Off topic a wee bit, but... How the hell did Phil Neville get 59 England caps?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Young Michael Owen before his hamstring went; a boy half the age and size of everyone else and had them for toast. I think im right in saying that Lineker thought he was going to smash all the records. His body just couldnt take the strain at such a young age.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Bobby Moore, apart from Poland away, followed by Gascoigne. Anyone who never saw Moore at his peak should watch England vs Brazil in the 1970 World Cup. If Pele says he's the best he ever played against that's good enough for me, on top of what I saw with my own eyes. In today's world where defenders cannot dive in, Moore would have been supreme.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bobby Moore, apart from Poland away, followed by Gascoigne. Anyone who never saw Moore at his peak should watch England vs Brazil in the 1970 World Cup. If Pele says he's the best he ever played against that's good enough for me, on top of what I saw with my own eyes. In today's world where defenders cannot dive in, Moore would have been supreme.

At his best a wonderful player I agree. Unfortunately, (mainly due to Sir Alf), he stayed until he was way past his best. Hardly Bobby's fault though.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
By BEST England player, do you mean the most gifted individual player?

In my lifetime, the most gifted England footballer in my opinion has to be Paul Scholes. An unbelievable player, one to build a team around. One of the best central midfielders to have ever lived, up there with the likes of Xavi and Zidane.

Although certainly not our most gifted player ever, Ashley Cole was a fantastic left back. More than 100 caps, was probably at one stage the best left back in the world, and made the position his own despite competition from the likes of Bridge and Baines (both very good players in their own right). But I wouldn't go as far to say he is the best england player ever!!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
By BEST England player, do you mean the most gifted individual player?

In my lifetime, the most gifted England footballer in my opinion has to be Paul Scholes. An unbelievable player, one to build a team around. One of the best central midfielders to have ever lived, up there with the likes of Xavi and Zidane.

Although certainly not our most gifted player ever, Ashley Cole was a fantastic left back. More than 100 caps, was probably at one stage the best left back in the world, and made the position his own despite competition from the likes of Bridge and Baines (both very good players in their own right). But I wouldn't go as far to say he is the best england player ever!!

Quite a few rungs lower though, especially than zizou!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOb07Et485k

Scholes would have been sent off for attempting half of these goals and wasn't exactly a ballet dancer. Scholes could orchestrate, pass and score, something only a few english players have managed - but don't go comparing him to the french genius. No.6 skill (3:50m) is one of the greatest, most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bobby Moore was superb, seemed to be a step ahead of everyone else. The only other contender in my lifetime is Hoddle, an amazing talent.

I was too young to have seen Duncan Edwards but, by the sound of it, he was some player

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gascoigne (didn't see/remember enough of Bobby Moore only having been born in 1960, although that was some performance against Brazil)

Last edited:

theboybilly

I don't know what it was with Hoddle - skill in abundance but mostly ineffective at International level. He was never a player that set my pulse racing when I saw his name on an England team-sheet. Gazza was better all round in my opinion but the best England player in my lifetime was Bobby Charlton all day long.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Bobby Moore was superb, seemed to be a step ahead of everyone else. The only other contender in my lifetime is Hoddle, an amazing talent.

I was too young to have seen Duncan Edwards but, by the sound of it, he was some player
Would of been 29 at the time of the 66 World Cup surely would of played.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I find this a hard one to have much of an opinion on as the players I've seen during my lifetime don't include a lot of the legendary names being thrown around.

All I remember of Gazza in an England shirt is THAT goal, Beckham has THAT performance
against Greece (not saying he's an all time best player but I refuse to believe there have been many better individual performances in the shirt than that one) and Shearer is Shearer.

Historically I'd imagine Charlton, Greaves, Finney, Wright and Moore all have a claim to it, but having never seen them play I don't feel I can really put much of a fight up for them.

All the being said, if you define 'best' by longevity, reliability and consistency rather than by personality or the position on the pitch then it would be remiss to overlook Ashley Cole. I have no liking for him but he's been the most solid, whilst being one of the few world class, English players of recent times.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Need to start a new thread "Biggest BELLEND to play for England" then Cashley might win?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Need to start a new thread "Biggest BELLEND to play for England" then Cashley might win?
Don't forget that Barton and Bowyer also have caps...

As I said, I don't have any particular affection for him but it's hard to deny that he was always very good for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here