[Cricket] Best Cricket Fielders

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m an old fart but the list should have more current players given that even ex Pros all all say standards so much higher now. Glenn Phillips is incredible

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Colin Cowdrey and Walter Hammond at slip.

Jack Hobbs at cover.

W G Grace at point.

Some time ago

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Derek Randall was revolutionary in the way he elevated fielding, but you can’t compare him to the modern fielders who are so good. Also from the past, Clive Lloyd was lethal in the covers and a very good slip fielder.
i never saw Colin Bland though.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Somerset are probably the best county fielding side at the moment and the best of them is tom Abell. He is incredible.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sussex's Paul Parker was brilliant. It was said that he had the ability to run convincingly at a slower speed in order to lure batsmen in to a sense of security...they would nudge a single and take a single easily then get complacent ....after a while...Parker would wait his time until they pushed a single then started to jog...then he would move like a rattlesnake and throw down the stumps........oh, and an honourable mention to Jonty Rhodes too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
W G Grace once caught a ball in his beard whilst fielding at gulley.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sobers. Easy to overlook as a fielder because of his batting and bowling skills, but was also a fantastic fielder, especially close to the wicket.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Closer to home i always thought Sussex’s Carl Hopkinson was right up there as a fielder, didn’t he go on and become an England fielding coach?
Very good fielder.
He helped out with some of the sessions they did at Hove with U-14s, U-16s when I was that sort of age, and I remember the guy leading the session describing him as the best fielder in the country (not entirely seriously but there was more than enough truth in it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports