Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best boozer in Sussex!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of my favourites is The Swan at Falmer. No, really it is, I'm not just saying it to be controversial. The beer's good (Palmers, not my #1 choice but more than acceptable) and he does excellent and really cheap Thai food. Plus the landlord is actually one of the nicest and friendliest people you could wish to meet. It's got a nice 1970s atmosphere with almost 1970s prices. Plus one Saturday he opened up early just for me and my wife - what more could you ask?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The Grenadier is quite a quiant little joint. Food is improving all the time aswell.

I've always like the Font too, in Brighton. I know it's not alot of peoples taste, but I think it's quite decent. Good for the football, cracking grub and it's a little bit hidden so not everyone can find it. Class.

Yep. I'm with you about the Grenadier, gotta be my favourite pub although there have been a few new faces which has caused a bit of an atmosphere at times.

The Queens Head in Icklesham does a fanatastic Sunday roast out in the countryside. make a visit.

Brighton is awash with quality pubs, but current favorite is Great Eastern on Trafalgar St, top food, good beer and wide range of bourbons. has that quintessential Brighton feel, students, oldies, trendies, out of towners all rubbing shoulders - literally, only problem is its a small place.

Haven't been there for a couple of years but, assuming it is run by the same folks (their website suggests it is so they have been there for nearly 25yrs) , the Queens Head does want a lot of beating on many counts, good beer selection, good value food and fab. views.

Otherwise locally I like the Wheatsheaf at Jarvis Brook ('cos I like Harveys me).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uzae_SqbmDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uzae_SqbmDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

:p Sorry Gully

Hadn't realised we were so far out in the sticks - still y'all come back now - my favourite boozer in Sussex as well!:thumbsup:

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Fair play to you Mr B. :wink:

Btw, had a top night on friday at the nicely-refurbished Walmer. Turned out it was some guy's 50th Birthaday Party, & they had The Long Tall Texans doin' a full set c/w interval! The place was rammed & a great time was had by all. Result! :clap2:

That would have been my mate Mark then!! Glad you had a good evening. :thumbsup:Couldn't get there myself.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Do they still sell good ale and steaks, havent been here for a year or thereabouts.

Best Option is to head past it towards Storrington, take the first junction right, then the first junction left and pull into the Five Bells in Smock Alley a mile or so on the the right.

Five Real Ales always on including a Mild and a Strong Ale, lager pumps discreetly hidden, good food, a real fireplace and eccentric locals, including it would appear a few West Sussex NSCers - although I haven't seen any banjo players for a while....:wave:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Another shout for the Stand Up Inn in Lindfield. To be fair, it wins around this area at a canter as the choice of pubs around Haywards Heath is truly shocking. In HH there is The Burrell, The Heath or The Star (okay but not much character for somewhere so grubby!). Lindfield has The Red Lion (Dread Lion), The Bent Arms (no one there past lunchtime), The White Horse and The Witch (okay but more of a restaurant now). So, even if the Stand Up wasn't a magnificent boozer (which it is) it would still be the discerning drinker's pub of choice at a canter.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The Red Lion serves one of the cheapest pints you'll find anywhere-around £2.50 and the landlord is a top guy even though he's a Leicester fan! It's probably the most lairy pub in Lindfield but it's no big deal.Never seen any fights in there.Safe for a civilised Saturday night.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Royal Oak Friday Street

THREAD CLOSED

I've heard many good things about it - and it's through to the last four of the UK's Pub of the Year so it must have a lot of people raving about it. It's in the middle of nowhere though, it will be a bit of a hike to see it.

There are loads of good pubs around Sussex, it's easier to think of good ones than bad ones. Some of my favourites have already got a shout (Gray's, Great Eastern, Basketmakers). I'm with Brovion on the Swan at Falmer too - decent beer and the Thai scran is top notch. Country pubs that I've loved are the Trevor Arms at Glynde and the Griffin at Fletching (although that's more a restaurant than a pub).

But if I had to plump for one, I'd go for the John Harvey in Lewes. Top quality beer, really friendly bar staff, terrific atmosphere - it's overtaken the Lewes Arms as my place to drink in Lewes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here