Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best bargains

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm pretty sure there was a player who we signed for free then sold on shortly after for a fee during the summer. He didn't actually play for us. That was a good deal. It was during the Withdean era. Anyone remember his name?

Mike Small. Fantastic big man up front. Got from Greece for next to nothing. Sold to West Sham for £££'s. Him and Byrne would destroy the Championship if we could role back time.

Small and Byrne - the best upfront duo I have ever seen play for the Albion, hopefully until CMS is fit and pairs up with Ulloa.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Who cost us a set of kit?

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I'm pretty sure there was a player who we signed for free then sold on shortly after for a fee during the summer. He didn't actually play for us. That was a good deal. It was during the Withdean era. Anyone remember his name?

Paul Holsgrove :)

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Gareth Barry never played for the first team could of made more money if we had a sign on fee and international payment also the same withDean Saunders we should have had a sign on fee! But Brighton were always short of money. We need to wise up when we start producing young players through the Accadamy and sell them!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Already answered but for ease of reference, wasn't it Mark Wright. Sold him to Bristol Rovers and he ended up playing for some time at Shrewsbury.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gareth Barry never played for the first team could of made more money if we had a sign on fee and international payment also the same withDean Saunders we should have had a sign on fee! But Brighton were always short of money. We need to wise up when we start producing young players through the Accadamy and sell them!

We signed Saunders on a free from Swansea when he was 20. Wasn't the reason we sold him on the cheap to Oxford for £60k because the bank told us we had to sell him and Maxwell new that! Think a year later he was sold by Oxford to Derby for a million!!!

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Already answered but for ease of reference, wasn't it Mark Wright. Sold him to Bristol Rovers and he ended up playing for some time at Shrewsbury.

Mark Wright played a few league games for us. Holsgrove didn't, was here for two weeks in the close season in 1998, sold to Hibernian for £125,000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here