Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Band Ever To Come Out Of America?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Well, here I go. I can't put forward any other name, as I've been stuck with this Pixies avatar for weeks.

The Pixies.

In all fairness, they are the Godfathers of grunge. Kurt Cobain owes EVERYTHING to the Pixies. Influence wise, Pixies.

Sidenote: Talking Heads are my favourite band of all time. While I acknowledge that they are not the best band of all time (Beatles, obviously), they are my personal choice. However, they achieved f*** all commercial success and most of the people I speak to have never heard of them. Just the way I like it.

Side, sidenote: Saw a mention of The Beach Boys. Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson are AMAZING, but they said it themselves, they were trying to rip off Rubber Soul. I think a TRUELY great band needs not only seminal records, but to have inspired whole genres of music. Beatles, Zeppelin, Marley, The Who, The Carpenters, Bowie etc.

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Alice Cooper - his early stuff is wonderous

Love it to death
Eighteen
Killer
Billion Dollar Babies
No more Mr Nice Guy

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Good call on Stooges; don't know how I forgot about them. Also partial to a bit of: Beefheart, Husker Du, Minutemen, Replacements. And there's the JBs - how influential were they?
And there's JAZZ...oh my.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The Doors
RATM
The Four Tops
Cake
Pavement
Crazyhorse
Beastie Boys