Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin travel info

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
lots of football in berlin

we stumbled across BFC Dynamo - the old Stasi club playing in an amazing stadium (Friedrich Ludwig Jahn Sportpark) when we visited the Mauerpark flea market. That was 7 years ago - don't think they play there anymore. Lots of lower-league options

View attachment 163392
They have moved back out again. I think Viktoria use it now. It’s going to be knocked down in a few years with a new modern municipal 30,000 stadium built in its place.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
They have moved back out again. I think Viktoria use it now. It’s going to be knocked down in a few years with a new modern municipal 30,000 stadium built in its place.
I just finished reading this book about what happened to all the teams in the last season of the DDR Oberliga, which was very interesting!
IMG_3054.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just finished reading this book about what happened to all the teams in the last season of the DDR Oberliga, which was very interesting!View attachment 163393
I'll try and find this book myself. I do find this sort of thing interesting. Regardng the wall and the cold war, what interests me most is how the DDR was after the wall came down i.e. how did it function immediately when the DDR rulers left. how did things operate/function? Or not function? And then how it joined (West) Germany. There was a vacuum for some time.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I'll try and find this book myself. I do find this sort of thing interesting. Regardng the wall and the cold war, what interests me most is how the DDR was after the wall came down i.e. how did it function immediately when the DDR rulers left. how did things operate/function? Or not function? And then how it joined (West) Germany. There was a vacuum for some time.
There's a good German football book called Tor by Uli Hesse. Think I may have even read the chapter on Berlin when I was going out there.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I've come for the great @Herr Tubthumper advice.

How easy is it to get FC Union Tickets? I'm heading to Berlin for the marathon, and there's a game on Saturday. Not sure if they're skeptical to changes like ours?

People keep recommending I go to the KitKat club for a post-marathon massage? I'm going solo so it sounds like a must.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks. I had thought getting Union tickets is impossible as the ground only holds 22000 and their membership is now 45000. Hertha rarely sold out in B1 other than when facing well supported opposition.

Am torn between a Berlin or Copenhagen football and culture weekend or a Belgium / SW Germany football trip.
I loved Copenhagen.

And Berlin.

Both have their merits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer to both questions is both. I've had Altbier in Dusseldorf and liked it. But I'm not a massive fan of blonde lager.
I swim in the sea and the chloriny Prince Regent - yuck. I loved some pools in France - open air, heated, cleaned with salt or ozone- even one with a stainless steel bottom so you could see the reflection of clouds (Angers) .
Onto swimming. Personally, I think you are blessed coming to Berlin as the city is surrounded by numerous lakes where can go swimming and there’s various open air (and indoor) pools. Lakes typically have an organized area where you pay to go in and there’s facilities, these are called Strandbads. But what you’d call “wild swimming” in the UK is popular and legal; you will see many families lakeside doing this. I’ll get into these later but my pick is the Olympic pool at the Olympiastadion; built for the 1936 summer Olympics it is now open to the public.

Here’s info on the lakes.

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/blog/top-11-lakes-swimming-berlin Muggelsee is over your way and there is a nice cycle path along the Spree to get there if you want to hire bikes.

In Friedrichain you have Haubentaucher which is in the RAW area I menioned earlier

"Situated within the same RAW building complex as Urban Spree, Suicide Circus, and Neu Heimat, Haubentaucher is one of Berlin’s hippest swim spots. Enclosed within the walls of an old brick railway station, the pool area has everything a person could want from a day spent poolside. In addition to the pool itself, Haubentaucher also has plenty of space for sunning on the surrounding patio. Plus, there are even large swaths of sand for hanging out, along with a bar and a good sound system. Haubentaucher is somewhat of a hidden gem that’s mostly popular with the locals, so there is still space to make this your new haunt."

And just over the river there is the excellent Badeschifft...an open air city centre pool floating in the River Spree.

A personal favorite of mine is this 1930s indoor pool around the corner from my apartment.

It’s quite a spectacular building especially at night.

I’ll be back with the rest later.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How easy is it to get FC Union Tickets? I'm heading to Berlin for the marathon, and there's a game on Saturday. Not sure if they're skeptical to changes like ours?

People keep recommending I go to the KitKat club for a post-marathon massage? I'm going solo so it sounds like a must.
I have not been to Union game for a few years now, pre Covid. Games sell out as they are flying high and only have a small ground BUT they operate an exchange similar to the Albion. You might need to become a member but I imagine if you’re determined and have the time you will find a ticket. I checked their website and all the info is on there.

I’m sure you will find someone at KitKat to massage your weary legs.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Onto swimming. Personally, I think you are blessed coming to Berlin as the city is surrounded by numerous lakes where can go swimming and there’s various open air (and indoor) pools. Lakes typically have an organized area where you pay to go in and there’s facilities, these are called Strandbads. But what you’d call “wild swimming” in the UK is popular and legal; you will see many families lakeside doing this. I’ll get into these later but my pick is the Olympic pool at the Olympiastadion; built for the 1936 summer Olympics it is now open to the public.

Here’s info on the lakes.

https://www.visitberlin.de/en/blog/top-11-lakes-swimming-berlin Muggelsee is over your way and there is a nice cycle path along the Spree to get there if you want to hire bikes.

In Friedrichain you have Haubentaucher which is in the RAW area I menioned earlier

"Situated within the same RAW building complex as Urban Spree, Suicide Circus, and Neu Heimat, Haubentaucher is one of Berlin’s hippest swim spots. Enclosed within the walls of an old brick railway station, the pool area has everything a person could want from a day spent poolside. In addition to the pool itself, Haubentaucher also has plenty of space for sunning on the surrounding patio. Plus, there are even large swaths of sand for hanging out, along with a bar and a good sound system. Haubentaucher is somewhat of a hidden gem that’s mostly popular with the locals, so there is still space to make this your new haunt."

And just over the river there is the excellent Badeschifft...an open air city centre pool floating in the River Spree.

A personal favorite of mine is this 1930s indoor pool around the corner from my apartment.

It’s quite a spectacular building especially at night.

I’ll be back with the rest later.
@Herr Tubthumper - thank you! This sounds fantastic, especially the prospect of swimming in the Olympic pool & Haubentacher pools. I think we'll stick with one of the organised lakes - the Muggelsee looks good.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Apologies if repetition (haven’t read the whole thread) but if you’re interested in history these are well worth a visit.

The Wannsee is also a big lake with a beach so a good place for a swim to reflect after the unforgettable exhibition at the House of the Wannsee. You may well need some time. It was here that the Nazis formalised the policy of the final solution, over breakfast - complete with menus and agenda. To see the every day way they planned the murder of millions of people, whilst eating a lavish breakfast, was incredibly shocking. It has always stayed with me.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I have not been to Union game for a few years now, pre Covid. Games sell out as they are flying high and only have a small ground BUT they operate an exchange similar to the Albion. You might need to become a member but I imagine if you’re determined and have the time you will find a ticket. I checked their website and all the info is on there.

I’m sure you will find someone at KitKat to massage your weary legs.

Thanks so much. I'll look into the exchange. Some great tips on here. Excited to visit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where would you recommend in Berlin for:
1) drinking German beer (not just lager)
2) cocktail and wine bars (for Mrs Cottager)
3) outdoor swimming (for junior Cottager and me) and parks
4) museums - assuming we'll do Jewish, Stasi, Reichstag. What about WW2 (or is that verbotten)?
We're staying in Friedrichshain.
Danke.
As for cocktail and wine bars this is not really my area. I go to one, which is a small jazz listening bar which does excellent wines and cocktails in Prenzlauer Berg but it's quite a trek from where you are and still a trek from the nearest public transport. https://www.rhinoceros-berlin.com if you over that way drop in.

If you wander around Friedrichain, RAW, Simon-Dach Strasse especially you will certainly find places to drink. They will typically be a bit DIY/ramshackle but friendly and safe....and often open until very late. This time of year there will be plenty of outside spaces to drink.

The only museum I'd add to your list is the Bauhaus Archiv for architecture, art and design.....if this is your thing it's well worth a visit. I love it. Jewish, Stasi and Reichtag will keep you busy though.

Have fun and if you have any further questions just ask.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Back from Berlin now and thought I'd give my feedback especially as everyone was so helpful (especially @Herr Tubthumper ).
We arrived by train from Amsterdam- amazing experience drinking beer at 250km/h and good value - about £110 for 3 of us.
We stayed at Mondrian Suites near Checkpoint Charlie - modern apartments which were reasonable value for the time of year. Most sights and Kreusberg in 25 minutes walking distance and a bakery and Lidl round the corner.

Top sights - Topography of Terror (site of Nazi Gestapo / police HQ))
Jewish museum - especially the new extension
Holocaust Memorial
DDR museum (though cramped)
Humbolt Forum (incredible building, ethnographic exhibits & good cafe)
Tiergarden (esp the Tearoom).

Meh sights - East Berlin gallery (on wall)
RAW
Site of Hitlers bunker (though more interesting if you're on a tour)

Food and drink-
Gorgonzola Club in Kreusberg - Good Italian
Biererei bar in Kreusberg for craft beers
Schoppe Taproom in Kreusberg
Kreusberger Himmel Syrian restaurant

Didn't go outdoor swimming as the weather was shit.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Apologies if repetition (haven’t read the whole thread) but if you’re interested in history these are well worth a visit.

The Wannsee is also a big lake with a beach so a good place for a swim to reflect after the unforgettable exhibition at the House of the Wannsee. You may well need some time. It was here that the Nazis formalised the policy of the final solution, over breakfast - complete with menus and agenda. To see the every day way they planned the murder of millions of people, whilst eating a lavish breakfast, was incredibly shocking. It has always stayed with me.
That was the issue for me a few years ago when I visited Germany . I’ve seen so may war films and seen news footage of the war etc that lots of places I went in Germany reminded me of the Nazis .

I’m sure the people that live there don’t think like that and they have a very decent govt nowadays but it did feel creepy to me obviously the harsh sound of the language didn’t help .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back from Berlin now and thought I'd give my feedback especially as everyone was so helpful (especially @Herr Tubthumper ).
We arrived by train from Amsterdam- amazing experience drinking beer at 250km/h and good value - about £110 for 3 of us.
We stayed at Mondrian Suites near Checkpoint Charlie - modern apartments which were reasonable value for the time of year. Most sights and Kreusberg in 25 minutes walking distance and a bakery and Lidl round the corner.

Top sights - Topography of Terror (site of Nazi Gestapo / police HQ))
Jewish museum - especially the new extension
Holocaust Memorial
DDR museum (though cramped)
Humbolt Forum (incredible building, ethnographic exhibits & good cafe)
Tiergarden (esp the Tearoom).

Meh sights - East Berlin gallery (on wall)
RAW
Site of Hitlers bunker (though more interesting if you're on a tour)

Food and drink-
Gorgonzola Club in Kreusberg - Good Italian
Biererei bar in Kreusberg for craft beers
Schoppe Taproom in Kreusberg
Kreusberger Himmel Syrian restaurant

Didn't go outdoor swimming as the weather was shit.
For some reason I thought you were staying in Friedrichshain hence the bar recommendations over that way. You found some good places though. Schopperbrau/Torsten Schopper was making pale ales in Berlin ten years ago when no one had heard of craft beer. Him and Heidenpeters were the first in Berlin. His XPA is superb.

I will visit the Gorgonzola Club for the name alone.

Glad you had a nice time, sorry for the weather.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
That was the issue for me a few years ago when I visited Germany . I’ve seen so may war films and seen news footage of the war etc that lots of places I went in Germany reminded me of the Nazis .

I’m sure the people that live there don’t think like that and they have a very decent govt nowadays but it did feel creepy to me obviously the harsh sound of the language didn’t help .
I agree. For context though, my daughter did GCSE History inc rise of the nazis and is doing the Cold War at A level so it was useful seeing some of the historical sights. There are interpretation boards all over Central Berlin in English and German about a lot of the context. A lot of central Berlin was obliterated in WW2 and the buildings erected in their place bear no relation to the predecessors. In the case of Topography of Terror, it took a conscious effort of Berlin residents to start digging up wasteland to get the authorities to construct it. There seemed to be a fair number of Germans visitors there and it seemed that they are keen to remember.

We were impressed how green (loads of street trees) central Berlin is and how multicultural. How long this will continue is a moot point as AFD got 20% of votes in recent elections.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Late to the party on this but anyway...

Union are at home to Hoffenheim that Saturday. TBH your chances of getting a ticket for that are a fraction above zero. Circa 50k members with circa 7-8k tickets available in the members ballot. It's usually less than that but the dividing fence between home fans and the away block will almost certainly be moved for that game making more tickets available for home fans. Hoffenheim support can best be described as minimal. Imagine Ditchling having a Premier League team with a stadium somewhere just outside Lewes - thats Hoffenheim. I've no idea how Hoffenheim prioritise tickets but it 'might' be worth checking if tickets are available via their website nearer the time. It's a reasonable assumption they won't sell their full allocation.

Failing that, Regionaliga Nordost (League 4) or Oberliga (league 5) in the Berlin area could be an option for Friday evening or Saturday. Tennis Borussia, Babelsberg, SV Lichtenberg, Berliner AK 07, Viktoria Berlin, VSG Altglienicke, plus the offically worst ever team to have ever played in Bundesliga, Tasmania Berlin, are options depending on the fixture list. I'd be inclined to give BFC Dynamo a swerve tbh. There are better options. Lichtenberg if at home could possibly be doubled up with a visit to the former Stasi HQ and now museum which is literally across the street from the stadium.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
For some reason I thought you were staying in Friedrichshain hence the bar recommendations over that way. You found some good places though. Schopperbrau/Torsten Schopper was making pale ales in Berlin ten years ago when no one had heard of craft beer. Him and Heidenpeters were the first in Berlin. His XPA is superb.

I will visit the Gorgonzola Club for the name alone.

Glad you had a nice time, sorry for the weather.
Booking.com described the location as Kreusberg/Friedrichshain, but that was a very generous description! Technically it is in Kreusberg, but not the bits that the bars/restaurants are in. It was a 25 minute walk along Orianestrasse for those (or quicker on the M29 bus). We also found a good wine bar a couple of doors along from Gorgonzola Club - Ottorink Weinbar, run by a couple of gas tanks.

We loved the food in Gorgonzola and the service and wine were excellent as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here