Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin travel info

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Booking.com described the location as Kreusberg/Friedrichshain, but that was a very generous description! Technically it is in Kreusberg, but not the bits that the bars/restaurants are in. It was a 25 minute walk along Orianestrasse for those (or quicker on the M29 bus). We also found a good wine bar a couple of doors along from Gorgonzola Club - Ottorink Weinbar, run by a couple of gas tanks.

We loved the food in Gorgonzola and the service and wine were excellent as well.
Hotels worldwide are often flexible with the district they claim to serve and Berlin is no exception. Similar to the Hotel that markets itself as Holiday Inn Terminal 5 that is actually in feckin Slough. Another calls itself Slough-Windsor. Nope, Slough. Cruise Lines pull the same stunt for some ports of call. Warnemunde being described as 'Port of Berlin' is quite the stretch as you'd struggle to get change out of three hours driving or by train.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Booking.com described the location as Kreusberg/Friedrichshain, but that was a very generous description! Technically it is in Kreusberg, but not the bits that the bars/restaurants are in. It was a 25 minute walk along Orianestrasse for those (or quicker on the M29 bus). We also found a good wine bar a couple of doors along from Gorgonzola Club - Ottorink Weinbar, run by a couple of gas tanks.

We loved the food in Gorgonzola and the service and wine were excellent as well.
Fair point re Booking.com. A lot of the actual hotels are to blame as well. When I go running somewhere near Alexander Platz I often see hotels which are suffixed with Alexander Platz e.g. Ibis Alex Platz even though they're a mile or so away.

Gogonzola Club and Ottorink....that's a night out with the Frau sorted....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Back from Berlin now and thought I'd give my feedback especially as everyone was so helpful (especially @Herr Tubthumper ).
We arrived by train from Amsterdam- amazing experience drinking beer at 250km/h and good value - about £110 for 3 of us.
We stayed at Mondrian Suites near Checkpoint Charlie - modern apartments which were reasonable value for the time of year. Most sights and Kreusberg in 25 minutes walking distance and a bakery and Lidl round the corner.

Top sights - Topography of Terror (site of Nazi Gestapo / police HQ))
Jewish museum - especially the new extension
Holocaust Memorial
DDR museum (though cramped)
Humbolt Forum (incredible building, ethnographic exhibits & good cafe)
Tiergarden (esp the Tearoom).

Meh sights - East Berlin gallery (on wall)
RAW
Site of Hitlers bunker (though more interesting if you're on a tour)

Food and drink-
Gorgonzola Club in Kreusberg - Good Italian
Biererei bar in Kreusberg for craft beers
Schoppe Taproom in Kreusberg
Kreusberger Himmel Syrian restaurant

Didn't go outdoor swimming as the weather was shit.
Did you try a bratwurst? Or did you stick to nice food?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Did you try a bratwurst? Or did you stick to nice food?
I don't eat meat (not that the ones I saw looked like they contained much) so no. I saw some being consumed at the Tiergarten beer garden and was tempted to see if they had a Cauldron veggie Lincolnshire version but at €15.70/litre for a fizzy stein, decided to resist the temptation.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The only museum I'd add to your list is the Bauhaus Archiv for architecture, art and design.....if this is your thing it's well worth a visit. I love it. Jewish, Stasi and Reichtag will keep you busy though.
I did look this up as I'm into good 20th century architecture but it appears to be closed at the moment.
By the way, @Herr Tubthumper , do you have an allotment near the railway line to the airport? I could have sworn I saw an Albion flag flying as we headed there for our flight home!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did look this up as I'm into good 20th century architecture but it appears to be closed at the moment.
By the way, @Herr Tubthumper , do you have an allotment near the railway line to the airport? I could have sworn I saw an Albion flag flying as we headed there for our flight home!
Not me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here