Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin advice

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Many thanks for your help, and that great list of pubs that we could utilise regardless of the football. It could be that we end up sucking it up in Belushi's, last year coincidentally we were away for the Man Utd FA Cup game and ended up in the worst pub in Munich watching it, surrounded by plastic Mancs. Still, I'm sure we'll get to a decent pub afterwards, hopefully with the right result

Update from The Lir:

“as next Sunday is St. Patrick's Day, we can't guarantee showing the game but we'll do our best to have it on one of the screens here.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For the umpteenth time, the wonderful Rick Stein's Long Weekends tv series is being repeated on one of the satellite channels on Sunday evenings. Last night they showed the Berlin episode.

I found it facinating, Berlin seem s to be quite niche, and not typical of the rest of Germany at all. As Rick explained, much of the 'local' food on offer at the many restaurants, was in fact Bavarian cuisine, as opposed to German. Do you agree with him Herr T?

One of the dishes l was especially intrigued by was Konigsberger Klopse, veal meatballs in a creamy caper sauce. Something of a Berlin speciality l believe.

I’d agree with this. Most of the German food I have come across is from elsewhere and the only indigenous food I can think of is the kebab and the Berliner donut. I can see why food and brewing didn’t flourish during the postwar years but I’m not sure why nothing took hold before the war. Or maybe it did but died out during the years it was divided and separated from the rest of Germany.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Update from The Lir:

“as next Sunday is St. Patrick's Day, we can't guarantee showing the game but we'll do our best to have it on one of the screens here.”

Fantastic, thanks once again. Looking at their website, it looks like they have bottles of Schneider Weisse, one of my favourite beers. If you're at a loose end or haven't made any plans please join us so we can get you a beer or two for your help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here