Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Advice Please

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Off to Berlin on Wednesday for three nights.
Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
As others have said absolutely awesome place.
We went on an pub tour for tourists which sounds cheesy but was amazing. Only about 5 Euro. Met up in a typically Englishy place then into a basement of a gothic pub.
Ended up playing table tennis in an inn full of randoms. Don't remember getting back to the hotel but highly recommend it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Which one? Both Tresor and Berghain are in power stations. I imagine it's Berghain? Berghain is simply incredible once inside. Be prepared to queue and be prepared to get turned away as they have a very very capricious door policy and you will see a fair proportion being turned away as you approach the door. My tips for getting in are to not dress up, not draw attention to yourself, go in mixed pairs and keep your fingers crossed. Oh, and if you look below 25 do not even bother. They like to maintain the balance and mix of punters and this is the reason for the strict door; it's not an elitist club. My favourite is The Panorama Bar upstairs and behind the main floor. Good luck.

If you cannot get in either go back Sunday morning and try again or try Katerholzig which is the new kid on the block and great fun; think Shangri-la at Glastonbury.

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] we ended up going to Tresor, just before heading out I read up on Barghain and decided against as we were just a group of lads. We also had a look at Waterfront but we didn't go out until 11 and by the time we had finished drinking in a few bars it was 2 and the queue was madness. I wish we had tried Panoma but Tresor was good, the decor and ambiance of the Club isn't great but the music was good and it certainly provided a different clubbing experience to Brighton (which is clearly woeful in comparison).

It was a good night, we went for a few drinks in a biergarten and a tapas place near Gorlitzer Park, and then on our way to Tresor we stumbled into a pop-up party taking place in one of the S-Bahn stations, just a guy with some decks and some speakers in a train station at 3 am knocking out the Grease soundtrack with about 100 people singing a long. Pretty good fun.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
One last bump.

If your stuck for time, get on a bike for a quickie of the must do sites in Berlin, you can do a micro tour fo the big sites which are clustered conveniantly in a circular fashion near the Tiergarten, start at the Reichstag and the adjacent parliamentary buildings, then head through Tiergarted up to Brandebur Tor, down to the Holocaust Memorial, Potsdamer Platz, Checkpoint Charlie and back across to the Berlin Wall/Topography of Terror which is a great free museum with lots of pictures and information from the start and end of nazi control.

You can do that in a day with time left over. Then you can spend a day/afternoon on Museum Island (predominantly art galleries or ancient museums but there's also the DDR museum the other side of the river, and the German History Museum which is really interesting but will take you a whole day to get round if you don't watch the time- Germany has had a pretty interesting century or so TBF), chuck in the Zoo and the East Side Gallery and that's the main bits checked off. There's a really good modern art gallery, if you';re into that king of thing called the Nueue Gallery south of Tiergarten. I'd recommend Rosenthaler Platz, Gorlitzer Park area and Freidrichshain area for nights out.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Im off too for 3 nights next month, group of 50 odd students all planned through Uni so should be a laugh. How much is stuff out there? Somebody told me it's fairly similar prices to the UK, all im interested in is cheap food/restaurants for dinner, lunch and so on, as well as burgers/hot dogs etc. Trying to work out how much I'll need to take and leave aside for the next month or so, also, what are drinks like in clubs etc? We've got a lot of deals due to size of group but hoping it still wont be too expensive.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Im off too for 3 nights next month, group of 50 odd students all planned through Uni so should be a laugh. How much is stuff out there? Somebody told me it's fairly similar prices to the UK, all im interested in is cheap food/restaurants for dinner, lunch and so on, as well as burgers/hot dogs etc. Trying to work out how much I'll need to take and leave aside for the next month or so, also, what are drinks like in clubs etc? We've got a lot of deals due to size of group but hoping it still wont be too expensive.

I found it to be surprisingly cheap, rounds of beer between 6 of us was coming out less than 20 euros, we went out for a few good meals in decent restaurants with drinks and the works for about 16-20 euros pp. There are cheap pizza places and bratwurst places everywhere, we found a pizza place selling a margarita for 2 euros 50 although fair to say we have that a wide swerve. I'd say its slightly cheaper than London and the pounds not too bad against the euro at the moment anyway at least in comparison to last year.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I found it to be surprisingly cheap, rounds of beer between 6 of us was coming out less than 20 euros, we went out for a few good meals in decent restaurants with drinks and the works for about 16-20 euros pp. There are cheap pizza places and bratwurst places everywhere, we found a pizza place selling a margarita for 2 euros 50 although fair to say we have that a wide swerve. I'd say its slightly cheaper than London and the pounds not too bad against the euro at the moment anyway at least in comparison to last year.

Cheers. A £2.50 pizza is probably no worse than some of the stuff im cooking for myself anyways mate.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
My favourite city bar none. Helps having a Berliner girlfriend! Make full use of the s/u bahn and have plans on the things you want to do! Bring me back a curry wurst!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's just the the bouncers who are up themselves and turn people away without even giving a reason. It's happened to so many friends of mine. I'll save my 12 euros and go elsewhere :)

It's not that they're up themselves it's to maintain a nice mix and balance of punters within the club. It is a bit of a lottery at times but it is not elitest in anyway IMHO. There are some basic rules which seem to apply, the main two being they dont like big groups of people and you need to look over 25. I've always adhered to this and only not got in once out of trying 6 times. And they did give a big group of scousers a reason when I last went....after a loud girl at the head of the group started arguing with the doorman he informed her in perfect English that 'you do not fit in.' :smile:

I used to be against door policies but having been to Tresor I'm grateful for them; Tresor is awful, full of big groups of people on the piss and hordes of people circling the DJ booth filming the DJ with their camera phones. Not good.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
there are 7 of us going for three nights including NYE.

What's the best way to get from the Airport (Schoenfeld) to Central Berlin (staying atGrand Hyatt which is on Marlene-Dietrich platz)?

I see there is a train which takes about half an hour, but with 7 of us a large taxi/mini bus might be better?

We have not been before, so I,d like a few suggestions what not to miss on a first trip.

Thanks

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Got back Saturday and had a brilliant time. Cheers for all the advice.
Would definitely recommend Berlin for a few days away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Train or taxi into City?

You have 2 train options: S-Bahn which is about 40 mins, Airport Express is 25 mins but you'll need to change onto the U-Bahn to get to your hotel. A taxi will be around 30 mins to your door.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You have 2 train options: S-Bahn which is about 40 mins, Airport Express is 25 mins but you'll need to change onto the U-Bahn to get to your hotel. A taxi will be around 30 mins to your door.

Thanks. There are 7 of us, so a minibus might work out ok cost wise compared to the train.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks. There are 7 of us, so a minibus might work out ok cost wise compared to the train.

The train will be 2.80 euros for either service. A 4 person taxi will be around 30-40 euros. Not sure of the cost for a minibus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The train will be 2.80 euros for either service. A 4 person taxi will be around 30-40 euros. Not sure of the cost for a minibus.

New years eve is an excellent time to go, loads of great parties going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here