Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beram Kayal vows to 'respect' the 12 months left on his contract

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The risk for Beram in taking this stance is what would happen if he were to suffer from a bad injury during the season, especially as he has suffered one before. Suddenly his security and value has gone. Small chance but there all the same. I'm relatively chilled about this as I think he'd want to play Premiership football next season whether with us or elsewhere. From what he's said he would prefer its with us. Yes, we lose the transfer fee if he leaves but due to his age, and injury background I'm not sure his value is that high.... Certainly not at Dunks.
I think we'll keep him with the view that we have a decent chance to go up, but this view may change if we aren't in the playoff places come January and other clubs come knocking.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/beram-kayal-focused-on-promotion-push-3214050.aspx

Interesting to see the club putting out their own Kayal article after The Argus....

He said, “From my experience of the last two years, it has looked like a tough league and has always looked harder and tougher than the season before.
We missed out on promotion last time and nothing hurt us more than missing the chance of going up by two goals.
We showed good desire, good football and we were together. The team here is unbelievable so it hurt us a lot, and it still hurts us; sometimes you only have to just say Sheffield Wednesday or Middlesbrough.
There is nothing we could do, nothing more we could do as players, we finished the game and we knew we gave everything. If you go into the game at Sheffield and lose three or four players it hurts you.
But now it is the same as if you are in the situation where you had maybe won the league, the year after you start with zero points and then you have to try and win the league again."

"So it is our target now, to be together, to focus, to fight as a team again, and then again and again because it is 46 games and a tough league. So we need to be ready - ourselves, the club and the fans - to be in the top position and nothing else.
You don’t even want to lose in training here, that is the good mentality we have here."

"In pre-season the most important thing is to work hard and get ready for the league. Sometimes if you lose in training with a bad result it hurts, as a footballer and as a professional.
We don’t take that easily; we take it as professionals. We know this is our time to be ready, to prepare ourselves, and to get ready for the most important moment when the league starts.
We are working hard every day in training, and people don’t see what we are doing every day. Day-by-day is actually a hard time for us in pre-season. We are working very hard but enjoying the work and we want to get ready for the start of the season.
Personally I feel a lot more confident and happy, so I am looking forward to the start of the season and to do my best for the club and the team.
I am enjoying every moment here, I have said that before, and now I am preparing myself for the next ten days so that I am ready."

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I know it's quite common these days for players to run down their contracts for financial reasons, I'm also slightly surprised by it, especially when said players have had bad injuries in the past. As others have said, you would think that a contract with a buy-out clause would give the players some financial security without putting off the money-bags clubs in the premier league.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know it's quite common these days for players to run down their contracts for financial reasons, I'm also slightly surprised by it, especially when said players have had bad injuries in the past. As others have said, you would think that a contract with a buy-out clause would give the players some financial security without putting off the money-bags clubs in the premier league.

Yeah but if he runs down his contact he'll get a higher wage than he would with a transfer fee and a mega signing on bonus. Especially if he has another good year.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Yeah but if he runs down his contact he'll get a higher wage than he would with a transfer fee and a mega signing on bonus. Especially if he has another good year.

I get that - it just seems like a high risk strategy which could backfire if the player picks up a bad injury and is then out of contract. It would make you think twice about going in for those 50-50 tackles

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Keeping his options open. If we don't go up, he can cash in on a free transfer and get a nice chunky signing on fee. If we do go up, he can benefit from a juicy new contract, or cash in on a free transfer and get a nice chunky signing on fee.

I'd do the same.

Yep. Even more incentive for him to have a good season and he needs to add goals to his performances anyway.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's only in football that there's this perverse idea of what a contract is. In any other walk of life, a contract has a start date and an end date that the contractor signs up to. Kayal's vowing to honour his contract. He's not done anything worthy of any criticism whatsoever.

Very much correct. But our blind emotion and attachment to a club sometimes leaves it hard to understand why a player doesn't feel the same beyond his agreed commitment. We're here forever, they're not. I know. I understand how it works, but I'll forever be knowingly ignorant as to why a player who is paid so much cannot feel the same bond beyond what they have signed up to. But that's my childlike passion for the cause. I know he's done nothing wrong.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Cash in and sell him now and get Bridcutt back. We miss his defence splitting passes, his mesmeric runs and his goals from midfield, or shouldn't that be goal from midfield?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Arabic: بيرم كيال‎‎, Hebrew: בירם כיאל‎‎;

Is the hummus problem sorted? In still reckon the Co-op is the best?

Got some Za'atar in Steyning today. And Sumac can be obtained over the Internet. I expect it can be bought in Brighton, but I don't know where?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here