Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bennetts field car park

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think we all accept that you will queue to get out of the car park. What I don't accept is that it is necessary to keep everyone waiting for ever with no movement whatsoever. As others have said it shouldn't be that difficult to organise really.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think we all accept that you will queue to get out of the car park. What I don't accept is that it is necessary to keep everyone waiting for ever with no movement whatsoever. As others have said it shouldn't be that difficult to organise really.

Surely it depends how long it takes you afterwards though? I certainly wouldn't mind being held back for 30-60 mins if it was really well managed and you got going and onto a clear road almost straight away after that wait...

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010

Why not use the park and ride next game, or a scheduled bus or train. Chill out after the match for a while and you will have no hassle what so ever.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

You are spot on. Problem was no-one was moving and then saw others who had arrived half an hour later getting in their cars and driving straight to the exit as they were parked nearer which led to the free for all!

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
It's obviously to stop private cars clogging up the approach roads and delaying fans who have used public transport and the park and rides.
This is in line with the policy of discouraging personal car use in favour of bus, train, cycle, foot pransport.
Your ability to be able to afford to buy a parking space shouldnt automatically allow you to get home before me as well, or do you demand this priviledge as well ?

but your getting priority over us? because we have to wait an hour before being able to leave - should it not be 50/50

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
but your getting priority over us? because we have to wait an hour before being able to leave - should it not be 50/50

Remember that the people on the park and ride buses have a 15 min journey to the carpark, then have to queue to get out of there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another point to note is that I have parked very many times in the official car park next to Wembley which supposedly has notorious travel out but I've got out the car park within ten minutes EVERY time. This a car park with 2,500 cars in it, and a bloody awful road system. Bennets Field is alongside the A27 and it should be possible to filter cars out much more effectively.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Another point to note is that I have parked very many times in the official car park next to Wembley which supposedly has notorious travel out but I've got out the car park within ten minutes EVERY time. This a car park with 2,500 cars in it, and a bloody awful road system. Bennets Field is alongside the A27 and it should be possible to filter cars out much more effectively.

straight on to the bypass right? would make sense to me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From my own personal experience I think it's pretty obvious that Bennetts Field AND the coach halt are not being cleared in an optimal manner.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
First let me correct you on a few points...There are five people in my car.Who said my time is more valuable then anyone elses,I did'nt?..you say a bus and 70 people...what about the other 40 odd buses,all I'm asking is to be let out in filtered traffic...is that too much,It's not good to sit there and watch as buses are filling up ,no buses leaving and still be held up when some of the cars could filter out.Put yourself in the position of all the buses held up as they let all cars out first,you'd soon be griping about it.
We all have choices and we all make those choices based on what best suits us

There are two ways we can cut your journey time home in half.

1 Give priority to cars leaving the site.
2 You take your time returning to your car, maybe stop for a coffee after the game, get to your car at 6 and still be home for 7.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Although I didn't go last night, getting away from Sussex University parking after the Spurs/Donny games was an absolute breeze.

:thumbsup:

sundabish1

Nov 1, 2009
Thast would be fine but there's no coffee or tea available after the game in the lounge and the bars closed ridiculously early at 10pm (earlier than advertised).

The planning permission for the use of Bennett's Field includes the following condition:-

5. Prior to the car park being brought into use, details of measures to ensure the flow of traffic using the site is managed, in the interests of local traffic conditions, shall be submitted to and approved by the Local Planning Authority. Traffic from the site shall thereafter be managed on event days in accordance with the approved measures.

In other words ... the Club has agreed the arrangements to control the flow of traffic with Lewes District Council - and has to comply with that agreement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The planning permission for the use of Bennett's Field includes the following condition:-

5. Prior to the car park being brought into use, details of measures to ensure the flow of traffic using the site is managed, in the interests of local traffic conditions, shall be submitted to and approved by the Local Planning Authority. Traffic from the site shall thereafter be managed on event days in accordance with the approved measures.

In other words ... the Club has agreed the arrangements to control the flow of traffic with Lewes District Council - and has to comply with that agreement.

And one would assume that the agreement included giving priority to public transport ?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
remembered parking there before season ticket presentation. some twazzock in a mazda got mud all up my door!!!!! D:<

And one would assume that the agreement included giving priority to public transport ?

Perhaps but more generically; to minimise the disruption that the B/F car park causes locally and to the rest of the stadium traffic. Discharge of this planning condition (5) is currently being pending consideration by LDC (ie info has been submitted by the club); however, what ths actually comprises doesn't currently appear on the council's website.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The problem is that ALL stadium traffic out is being funnelled out through just ONE exit, which is the Village Way/Falmer Road junction.

If a small exit slip was built straight out from the BF car park onto the bypass, or the roundabout, or adjacent slip road, then ALL trafffic, especially the outgoing buses would benefit.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Although I didn't go last night, getting away from Sussex University parking after the Spurs/Donny games was an absolute breeze.

:thumbsup:

It was a breeze last night as well. Got in my car and drove straight out with only minimal queing at the traffic lights. I was at the bottom of Coldean Lane exactly 6 minutes after getting back to my car.

I must admit that when I got my pass for the University Car Parks I was a bit miffed that I wasn't in Bennetts Field. After hearing what every one says about it I'm very glad I'm where I am.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My take on it, is that i can accept that the barrier might need to remain closed for some time after the game, and that getting all the cars out will take some time.

What was absolutely unnacceptable, however, was the utter carnage within the car park. Because it is just a big tramac plot, with rows of spaces marked, but no physical kerbs / barriers / etc, and there were no stewards directing the traffic, a huge percentage of drivers ignored the marked routes, and the queue and just fought their way directly towards the exit.

This meant that at the point of the exit, you had 6 or 7 cars trying to barge through a single gate. Some selfish individuals caused a lot of bad feeling, and I can honestly see some of the stand-offs becoming physical, if the same thing happens regularly.

I would estimate that last night we were roughly the 100th car in the queue when the barrier opened, but the 1500th out of the gate.

Once we got to the gate we found out where all the stewards were - EIGHT of them stood about having a chat. Somebody who actually understands traffic flows etc, needs to get a proper grip on this, and quickly. It really was a shambles.

Last night, it took me nine minutes less to drive from Falmer to Southampton, than it took me to get from my space, to the Bennett's Field gate...

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It was a breeze last night as well. Got in my car and drove straight out with only minimal queing at the traffic lights. I was at the bottom of Coldean Lane exactly 6 minutes after getting back to my car.

I must admit that when I got my pass for the University Car Parks I was a bit miffed that I wasn't in Bennetts Field. After hearing what every one says about it I'm very glad I'm where I am.

Are they now letting traffic out of both exits at the Uni, ie, Stanmer Park and the main A27 junction ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here