Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bennetts field car park

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
is it true they dont let you out until 30 mins after game has ended, cars didnt move for at least 40 mins:flameboun

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seems to be true - I waited and hour on Sat and 30 mins or so last night before anything moved. Not ideal for "priority parking".

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Very true,On all games have been held up...I live 10 miles from the ground,Spurs game I did'nt get home till 7.05pm,last night was held up 42 mins...instead of doing the sensible thing and letting the cars filter out they just block off the whole BF car park. When they do get out the buses and cars just filter through.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It is ridiculous. It is organised so badly. I've emailed Paul Rogers and Martin Perry about it. Suggest others who suffered it do likewise. They may not even know?

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
It's obviously to stop private cars clogging up the approach roads and delaying fans who have used public transport and the park and rides.
This is in line with the policy of discouraging personal car use in favour of bus, train, cycle, foot pransport.
Your ability to be able to afford to buy a parking space shouldnt automatically allow you to get home before me as well, or do you demand this priviledge as well ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's called priority parking, because you get the option to park very close to the stadium. You can then sit in comfort in your car whilst the great unwashed struggle to get on public transport. Priority exit is something else and you may require diplomatic plates on your car for this.

I am not exactly what you call a class warrior, but if there is one group of people who I think should shut the f*** up moaning right now, it is those people parked in Bennetts Field. I would be delighted to hear of any justifiable reason for prioritising car exit, other than the usual, because I have paid enough for it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you have a Merc/ Porsche/BMW 4x4 you can take up two parking spaces and when you leave work your way around the car park to the exit without queuing. It seems it is OK to queue barge when you are this important. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
...if traffic is left alone
It's called priority parking, because you get the option to park very close to the stadium. You can then sit in comfort in your car whilst the great unwashed struggle to get on public transport. Priority exit is something else and you may require diplomatic plates on your car for this.

I am not exactly what you call a class warrior, but if there is one group of people who I think should shut the f*** up moaning right now, it is those people parked in Bennetts Field. I would be delighted to hear of any justifiable reason for prioritising car exit, other than the usual, because I have paid enough for it.

Nobody is saying they should have prioritised car exit,just let the traffic filter out,it works because when they do get out it is one bus one car. I live 10 miles from the Amex in the Eastbourne direction and at the Spurs game I did not get home till 7.05pm,my son after that game went to the shop then P&R and was just going onto the M25 when I got home thanks to us being held up in BF. I'm not a "I've paid for it type", ,I'm a disabled pensioner who saved part of his pension to have a bit of comfort,not to be kettled in at the end of a match.By all means get the P&R out but let the traffic filter,sometimes we are held back when buses are loading but no bus is leaving.in that time you get half a dozen cars out.

It is ridiculous. It is organised so badly. I've emailed Paul Rogers and Martin Perry about it. Suggest others who suffered it do likewise. They may not even know?

Delayed exit from Bennett's Field is a deliberate strategy in order to allow the buses, coaches etc to get away first and to minimise the post-match congestion in Village Way etc. It was all in the planning application for BF which clearly showed that the the C/P on the site with 600+ spaces will lead to further disruption at the intersection. Suprised potential users weren't told about this by the club beforehand (NOT).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Suprised potential users weren't told about this by the club beforehand (NOT).

I think that you can rest easy that we all now know that you are unimpressed by the parking arrangements and allocation, no need to labour it

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
it's called priority parking, because you get the option to park very close to the stadium. You can then sit in comfort in your car whilst the great unwashed struggle to get on public transport. Priority exit is something else and you may require diplomatic plates on your car for this.

I am not exactly what you call a class warrior, but if there is one group of people who i think should shut the f*** up moaning right now, it is those people parked in bennetts field. I would be delighted to hear of any justifiable reason for prioritising car exit, other than the usual, because i have paid enough for it.

this

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's obviously to stop private cars clogging up the approach roads and delaying fans who have used public transport and the park and rides.
This is in line with the policy of discouraging personal car use in favour of bus, train, cycle, foot pransport.
Your ability to be able to afford to buy a parking space shouldnt automatically allow you to get home before me as well, or do you demand this priviledge as well ?

And what about the disabled who have no choice but use a car. We don't demand to get home before you but at least near what it takes you...but I think even you would be slighty miffed if you lived 10 miles away and you did'nt get home for two hours

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
...if traffic is left alone

Nobody is saying they should have prioritised car exit,just let the traffic filter out,it works because when they do get out it is one bus one car. I live 10 miles from the Amex in the Eastbourne direction and at the Spurs game I did not get home till 7.05pm,my son after that game went to the shop then P&R and was just going onto the M25 when I got home thanks to us being held up in BF. I'm not a "I've paid for it type", ,I'm a disabled pensioner who saved part of his pension to have a bit of comfort,not to be kettled in at the end of a match.By all means get the P&R out but let the traffic filter,sometimes we are held back when buses are loading but no bus is leaving.in that time you get half a dozen cars out.

I perfectly understand that as a disabled pensioner, you have a legitimate need to limit the distance that you have to walk. What I don't understand is why you think your time is somehow more valuable than everyone else's. What was happening at 7 pm or 6:30 in your life that was so pressing that it could not wait ? It is not unreasonable to give priority to a bus with up to 70 people on it and more waiting for the return journey, over a couple of people in a car.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Given that I am not 1901 and intend to drink at every match, I am completely oblivious to any sort of parking arrangements that have been made. However - what did you expect? Presumably there's a few hundred cars in there. When I've driven to away games, we have spent hours getting out of car parks (honourable mentions to Stoke, Bournemouth and Yeovil).

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
You may have no choice but to use a car but alas you are still in a car and use of that field is subject to very strict regulations and as a club I guess we need to show that transport moves smoothly so we can retain use of that field as a car park in 3 years time.

Note this is not a pop at people who genuinely need to use their car to get to a game, but in every club I've visited that I've parked in an official / close by car park it's taken a while to get out (Yeovil and Bournemouth spring to mind)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You may have no choice but to use a car but alas you are still in a car and use of that field is subject to very strict regulations and as a club I guess we need to show that transport moves smoothly so we can retain use of that field as a car park in 3 years time.

Note this is not a pop at people who genuinely need to use their car to get to a game, but in every club I've visited that I've parked in an official / close by car park it's taken a while to get out (Yeovil and Bournemouth spring to mind)

Great minds...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It is part of the club's strategy to ease traffic flow and ensure the buses get out as quickly as possible rather than sitting behind a massive queue of cars.

The majority of supporters who park there are 1901 members and to help resolve any problems the club have kept the bars open for longer in these areas to filter those leaving.

on a saturday game the car park doesn't open until 5:30 and midweek I think it's 10:00

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Mate of mine gave me his permit as he wanted to drink and I stupidly thought it would help with getting the kids home earlier. Again problem is no signs to show you where to head and no stewards enforcing anything. Therefore loads of people just headed across the parking spaces for the exit. Some guy was so miffed he even lifted up the entrance barrier and let himself out much to the amusement of the queues for the bus!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I perfectly understand that as a disabled pensioner, you have a legitimate need to limit the distance that you have to walk. What I don't understand is why you think your time is somehow more valuable than everyone else's. What was happening at 7 pm or 6:30 in your life that was so pressing that it could not wait ? It is not unreasonable to give priority to a bus with up to 70 people on it and more waiting for the return journey, over a couple of people in a car.
First let me correct you on a few points...There are five people in my car.Who said my time is more valuable then anyone elses,I did'nt?..you say a bus and 70 people...what about the other 40 odd buses,all I'm asking is to be let out in filtered traffic...is that too much,It's not good to sit there and watch as buses are filling up ,no buses leaving and still be held up when some of the cars could filter out.Put yourself in the position of all the buses held up as they let all cars out first,you'd soon be griping about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here