Bennett bid accepted?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In this transfer market free for all its comes down to our contracts and liason officer to do the business and not Gus, by all accounts

"In John Stephenson we trust" anybody?

I hope and expect that Gus chooses the targets and gets to speak to them to convince them, it's just the nitty gritty of money and agents that Gus is avoiding now?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why didn't we do a Wenger with Fabregas...... tell him to give us 1 more year. He will be the jewell in our team and not a bench warmer.

We've taken two big steps backwards since coming up by losing our 2 best players, so much for the Amex being a pull to our players, and it's immensly frustrating.

We are buying unproven players (albeit with potential) just to stand still, Since we have won promotion, so far our squad is depleted, though there is still time.

Reading the Argus thread it seems Gus is not actively involved in getting the players in, its the John Stephenson guy from Watford that is doing all the wheeling and deeling. Gus just drew up a list of targets and he is doing the dealing.

One commenter on Argus said "he is Blooms appointment and Gus was not happy".

So right now, it seems there is no "In Gus we trust" until the season starts.

In this transfer market free for all its comes down to our contracts and liason officer to do the business and not Gus, by all accounts

Yes but the chap on the Argus has no evidence to suggest Gus was unhappy. Are we supposed to believe that Bloom and Gus would be completely aligned on all of our preparations and then Bloom completely undercuts him on a major appointment like this?

Its complete nonsense. Stephenson has been brought in to get the players Gus wants as you say.

Unfortunately, I think we've already done the Wenger/Fabregas thing by telling him give us to then end of the season and get us promoted. Which he did. So he's off.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
I wonder if in some small way there is any significance in the fact that, inspite of their good form this season, neither Murray nor Bennett were Poyet recruits?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Reading the Argus thread it seems Gus is not actively involved in getting the players in, its the John Stephenson guy from Watford that is doing all the wheeling and deeling. Gus just drew up a list of targets and he is doing the dealing.

One commenter on Argus said "he is Blooms appointment and Gus was not happy".

So right now, it seems there is no "In Gus we trust" until the season starts.

A lot of the people commenting on the Argus website talk a load of cobblers, but it did worry me somewhat when I heard that Gus was taking more of a back seat. Let's just hope that there are no real wranglings between Gus and TB, or the wheels could come off the bus...

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I think Benno would be a very good Championship player. However all this season I have never speculated that we had a potential Premiership player on our books. Good luck to him, but I think it could be a leap too far and potentially damaging to his aspirations. Still - money before first team glory might be the result.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
you are ignoring me bozza

spill the beans please

istockphoto_3512693-spill-the-beans.jpg

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
How many of the top clubs have their manager deal with transfer negotiations? It's not like Fergie or Wenger deal with any of this, its the men in suits.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There are certain people on Nsc who tell us that things are happening when it is certain. After a while it is possible to sort out the nonsense from fact.

The secret, obviously, is to work out who to trust/who has inside contacts.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Typical that things are going rather tits up today when everything should be going like a dream. Oh well, we have a couple of months left til the start of the season for Gus to work his magic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It has been mentioned on here before about the Stephenson/Poyet thing and I have heard it elsewhere but I think possibly through the same person as the poster (NMH?) on here heard it through and this was months ago. It does make sense that someone like Stephenson is involved, can't imagine why Gus would want to get involved with contract wranglings.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I personally have no problem with Bennett leaving if last year he was asked to stay and get us promoted, then he can leave. What i do have a problem with is the price. If Oxlaide-Chamberlain if worth 8 mill and Mackail-Smith is worth 2 mill then how the f*** is Bennett worth under 1 million? Is it cos he doesnt have a double barrelled name ffs. It should be a down payment of a minimum 1 million rising to somewhere close to 2 mill with add ons and sell on clauses. Is it just me or does it always seem like we let our players leave on the cheap? (Virgo and that scottish bloke from Hibs excluded!!!!!!!)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
In the past losing two players like Murray and Bennett would have seemed like an absolute disaster, I'd be gutted and worried about our future prospects.
But not, it's just a bit of a shame. I'd have preferred to keep them of course, but we've got the means to replace them, we're going to be a good team next season.
Hope Bennett does well in the Premiership.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
A lot of the people commenting on the Argus website talk a load of cobblers, but it did worry me somewhat when I heard that Gus was taking more of a back seat. Let's just hope that there are no real wranglings between Gus and TB, or the wheels could come off the bus...

Perhaps Bloom and Poyet are incredibly happy and the "One commenter on Argus" just .... lying?

"The Seagulls are understood to have agreed a deal with Norwich for the highly-rated playmaker or winger, having rebuffed the Canaries’ attempts to sign him in January.

Neither club was willing to confirm the development last night.

Poyet declined to comment on specific transfer activity.

Asked about his summer recruitment, the Albion boss said: “We have every single position covered when it comes to bringing in new players.

“It makes no difference whether it is a goalkeeper, a striker or a winger.”

The Seagulls have already had two bids for Watford star Will Buckley knocked back but remain on the trail of the striker or winger.

They would be in a position to bring him in if Bennett, pictured, agrees personal terms at Carrow Road.

Albion have already lost top scorer Glenn Murray on a free transfer to Crystal Palace after opting not to match terms being offered by their rivals.

They confirmed Murray would not be staying on the same afternoon as they confirmed the arrival of striker Will Hoskins from Bristol Rovers.

A similar one in, one out tactic this time would help soften what will be a big blow for fans as Bennett leaves.

Poyet, back in England after a summer break in his native Uruguay, believes Albion are better placed to get what they need in the transfer market this summer.

He said: “It doesn’t make any difference that I am back because I am not as involved as I was last year, when I was dealing with contracts and talking to agents and things like that.

“We now have John Stephenson doing that job.

“We set two lists of who we were interested in last season. There was one list for League One and one for the Championship.

“When it became clear towards the end of the season we would be in the Championship we started working on that list.”

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whilst I agree that losing Bennett will be a big loss, as with Murray, in both cases we will be swapping someone who hasn't played at Championship level with a player who has (assuming we sign Buckley). I think Bennett will be fantastic at Championship level but he has yet to prove it and I am not sure that moving straight to the Premier League is the right move for him, but obviously a lot more money and the chance to test himself at the highest level will win out. I do think that the players Norwich are signing mean they won't stay up as they seem to be very good Championship players who are unproven in the top flight.

In terms of bringing players in, I have full faith in Gus and the team to bring the right players in. The key person at the club is Gus and we can survive the loss of any player as long as he stays. John Stephenson has been brought in to help him and despite what some people say I find it very hard to believe that Tony Bloom would have gone behind the manager's back to bring him in. They will need to work together and hopefully bring the right players in.

Apr 14, 2011
And it it's, hi ho silver lining.......

barbados-bus-accidents.jpg

The Gusbus has crashed, oh baby

All... your... best players fleeing,

so don't make a fuss

Your SHIT, its obvious........

so long little league 1 seaweed HaHaHaHa

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
And it it's, hi ho silver lining.......

barbados-bus-accidents.jpg

The Gusbus has crashed, oh baby

All... your... best players fleeing,

so don't make a fuss

Your SHIT, its obvious........

so long little league 1 seaweed HaHaHaHa

Obviously the news hasn't filtered into this guy's one remaining brain cell that we are in actual fact, in the same divison as Palace.
Ho hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports