Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I cant believe this thread has gone to 19 pages ! anyway , no hard feelings all, off to brave churchill square now , seeya!

Good shout, everyone needs "calm down, calm down". :D.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
He has gone!

Inter Milan have confirmed that they have parted company with manager Rafael Benitez just over six months after appointing the Spaniard.

The move follows Benitez asking for backing from the board to buy players following the Serie A side's Club World Cup win over TP Mazembe last Saturday.

Instead, with Inter 13 points behind in the league and struggling for form, they have chosen to sack Benitez.

The Spaniard took over at the San Siro from Jose Mourinho in June.

Mourinho, who left for Real Madrid, led Inter to the Serie A title, the Italian Cup and the Champions League glory last season and left his successor with a hard act to follow.

Benitez took over at the San Siro a week after leaving Liverpool on 3 June and, although he had had injuries to key players to contend with, the 50-year-old's exploits have not helped his cause.

Although Inter have two games in hand of the teams above them in the Serie A table, they are languishing in seventh place having won only six of their 15 league games.

In defence of their Champions League crown, the Nerazzurri could only finish as group runners-up behind Tottenham to leave them a difficult tie against Bayern Munich in the last 16.

Even though Inter won the Club World Cup by beating the Congolese team, it did not leave Benitez in enough of a position or power to survive his outburst after the match.

"There are three possibilities for the club," said Benitez. "One, 100% support for the coach and buy four or five players to build a stronger team with competition among the players to be able to carry on winning matches and trophies.

"Two, carry on like this without a project, without planning, and go ahead with one person to blame, for the whole season.

"The third," he added, "is to speak to my agent to reach an agreement if there is not this support. Simple."

Inter president Massimo Moratti was less than impressed by Benitez's comments and said they were "were not suitable for the situation" before adding it was "not the moment to ask for reinforcements".

Consequently, the Inter board have sought to remove Benitez with the Serie A season currently on a winter break and Inter's next game scheduled for 6 January at home to Napoli.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Please go back to Liverpool, PLEASE.

Finish the job you started and give Liverpool the manager they deserve.
You think the bin dippers deserve two more Champions League final appearances (including a win), a couple of FA Cup wins, and another second place finish?

I don't. The way they've treated Roy Hodgson has been POOR.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cracking quote from Woy last night:

I am still waiting for the famous Anfield support as it has not been here since I came.

We are not deliberately losing matches. You know what these players are capable of. All I can say is that it is time for people to help us along. We lacked quality and confidence.

But I thought the Kop sucked the ball in, such was the ferocity of their support? ??? Or maybe it's just f***ing EASY getting behind a team that expects to qualify for Europe, finishes in the top 4 every season until the last one, and wins various cups?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

But I thought the Kop sucked the ball in, such was the ferocity of their support? ??? Or maybe it's just f***ing EASY getting behind a team that expects to qualify for Europe, finishes in the top 4 every season until the last one, and wins various cups?
This :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The only sound they made was calling for Kenny Dalglish

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Since this thread seems to have diverted to Roy, I thought I'd post this here:

Mr Henry and Mr Werner - Please Listen to the Fans and Sack Roy Hodgson Petition

I've only read the first couple of lines before realising it was really long, so will read the rest later after work. But one thing I noticed "so the fact recent polls show that in excess of 95% wish to see Mr Hodgson removed from his position" is that an independent poll, or like those adams/slade ones we had on nsc where they were much higher just after a loss, going lower as the week went on and we got ready for the next game? I suspect the latter.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Since this thread seems to have diverted to Roy, I thought I'd post this here:

Mr Henry and Mr Werner - Please Listen to the Fans and Sack Roy Hodgson Petition

I've only read the first couple of lines before realising it was really long, so will read the rest later after work. But one thing I noticed "so the fact recent polls show that in excess of 95% wish to see Mr Hodgson removed from his position" is that an independent poll, or like those adams/slade ones we had on nsc where they were much higher just after a loss, going lower as the week went on and we got ready for the next game? I suspect the latter.

Haha, what a load of shit. That's classic internet football support by someone with far too much time on their hands and who's full of their own self importance.

I'm just waiting for 2 years down the line when the bindippers realise this group of yanks is the same as the last. I'm sure they'll try and pretend that there were MASSIVE protests and they weren't in favour, just like last time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Haha, what a load of shit. That's classic internet football support by someone with far too much time on their hands and who's full of their own self importance.

I'm just waiting for 2 years down the line when the bindippers realise this group of yanks is the same as the last. I'm sure they'll try and pretend that there were MASSIVE protests and they weren't in favour, just like last time.
Completely agree.

And out of interest, how many other groups of fans set up an interweb petition to oust a manager just because they've endured half a mediocre season? Their support is f***ing shit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Completely agree.

And out of interest, how many other groups of fans set up an interweb petition to oust a manager just because they've endured half a mediocre season? Their support is f***ing shit.

But...but...how DARE you question the all round marvellous-ness of Liverpool fans! Don't you remember those (c) Magical European Nights? The Legendary Witty Chants?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You think the bin dippers deserve two more Champions League final appearances (including a win), a couple of FA Cup wins, and another second place finish?

I don't. The way they've treated Roy Hodgson has been POOR.

I was thinking more along the lines of replace very good players with really bad ones and carry on there decline to mid table nothingness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here