Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Excellent, so having been given the Inter, Liverpool, and International posts, we've established that Roy is a top manager then? Carry on...

2 years with Inter, and lets be honest, a maximum of 1 year at Liverpool. So 3 years of 35 he has been at a big club.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
What is a big club? Liverpool have barely mustered more than a couple of decent challenges on the domestic title in two decades.

Still won plently of trophies in that time. Including the biggest on offer. Thanks Rafa La.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Don't forget to thank Houllier, who formed the bulk of the squad that won that title.

If your point is that Houllier won that trophy then that is ridiculous. If it's that LFC fans should appreciate Houllier, they do.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sorry, not read the whole thread. As an Albion fan, but with my 2nd team as L'pool, Rafa just seemed to run out of steam and his time had come naturally to an end - and his penchant for political fights was getting on my nerves.

Not sure if hodgeson is the right replacement, he's not had much time or money to play with - Konchesky does not seem up to it for me, but I guess he can't look at the top drawer players at the mo. no chance of top 4 at the moment, but every chance of getting back into Europa - not that that is a big deal. The new group will spend money, but not huge amounts, so any buys will need to be good ones - can't afford any more Babels.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If your point is that Houllier won that trophy then that is ridiculous. If it's that LFC fans should appreciate Houllier, they do.

My point is that the bulk of those players were bought by Houllier. You can look at it as Benitez taking a fourth placed team to win the champions league, or you can look at it as Benitez's biggest success coming before he had changed the make up of the squad with his own transfers. Your choice.

Either way, I would say Houllier deserves recognition for laying the groundwork for the champions league win, and Gerrard certainly deserves a lot of credit for that win.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
My point is that the bulk of those players were bought by Houllier. You can look at it as Benitez taking a fourth placed team to win the champions league, or you can look at it as Benitez's biggest success coming before he had changed the make up of the squad with his own transfers.

Either way, I would say Houllier deserves recognition for laying the groundwork for the champions league win, and Gerrard certainly deserves a lot of credit for that win.

Fair point, but to win that trophy with that squad, shows what a great tactician the man is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here