Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
they will be special because they are looking less likely to occur the longer the season goes on, cheers Roy

although id take City in the Europa cup final as its in Ireland, might be fun :)

How is it Hodgson's fault that you are playing in the European JPT?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
yep, by telling players such as benzema, who i regard as a real target, the history of the club and what it means to play for liverpool.

I doubt very much whether that would matter to most of these players they might be after - well, not before they join the club anyway. Benzema gets linked with different clubs every day, and has been for ages - not sure what his value is now, but I'm not convinced the new owners are going to spend that sort of money.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Ironic how Roy doesn't take the UFEA Cup seriously when losing in the final is the best thing he has achieved in 35 years of management, and without being in it with Fulham (for which he wasn't good enough to get his team there properly) he wouldn't have the job. The whole point anyway is that all you have to do is look at Rafa's record, and it will tell you it's self that he is a very good manager.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why this dwelling on Benitez and comparing him to Hodgson anyway. Why not get behind Hodgson on your rare trips to watch Liverpool and show him some support, rather than belittling his 35 years in management?

so are you suggesting if he accomplishes the same with liverpool then that would justify his appointment?

i think not!

Not at all. I think that Liverpool fans need to be realistic. You claimed that the previous regime ran the club down by not giving Benitez enough to spend, yet Roy is expected to turn a club that finished 23 points behind top spot into a title contender overnight? Let's face it. If Torres is crocked or Gerrard is off form then there is little left to win you games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
yep, by telling players such as benzema, who i regard as a real target, the history of the club and what it means to play for liverpool. those special european night, and we are trying to re-create that by attracting such players as yourself, to come and play alongside the likes of Reina, Gerrard and Torres

History
History
History

Its all well and good for fans to get misty-eyed over the past, and take pride in their clubs achievements. Thats what we do. But top players don't sign for clubs based on their "history" - if they did then Man City wouldn't be getting a look-in right now. Players primarily follow their ambition and their wallets. They want to go somewhere where there is a decent chance of some silverware. And right now, Anfield is a long way from seeing any pots.

The lack of Chumps League football is a MASSIVE turn-off for top players, and I'm not sure how much longer Torres will put up with the Thursday nights against Steaua Bucherest. Finish outside the top 4 again this season and I reckon he's offski, and classy replacements will become harder and harder to come by.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ironic how Roy doesn't take the UFEA Cup seriously when losing in the final is the best thing he has achieved in 35 years of management. The whole point anyway is that all you have to do is look at Rafa's record, and it will tell you it's self that he is a very good manager.

You're not comparing like with like though. Its a whole lot easier to win things with big teams / big budgets. Why not just compare their records at Inter? Or maybe the facts won't fit your argument too well...

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Not at all. I think that Liverpool fans need to be realistic. You claimed that the previous regime ran the club down by not giving Benitez enough to spend, yet Roy is expected to turn a club that finished 23 points behind top spot into a title contender overnight? Let's face it. If Torres is crocked or Gerrard is off form then there is little left to win you games.

Believe you me, no one is in anyway expecting Roy to turn anything round. The opposite is more likely in fact.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
History
History
History

Its all well and good for fans to get misty-eyed over the past, and take pride in their clubs achievements. Thats what we do. But top players don't sign for clubs based on their "history" - if they did then Man City wouldn't be getting a look-in right now. Players primarily follow their ambition and their wallets. They want to go somewhere where there is a decent chance of some silverware. And right now, Anfield is a long way from seeing any pots.

The lack of Chumps League football is a MASSIVE turn-off for top players, and I'm not sure how much longer Torres will put up with the Thursday nights against Steaua Bucherest. Finish outside the top 4 again this season and I reckon he's offski, and classy replacements will become harder and harder to come by.

City get pplayers coz they are willing to offer player treble what they are currently on. that isnt sustainable though, they will struggle to get rid of players, not because no one will want them but because of the rediculoous wages they will demand

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why this dwelling on Benitez and comparing him to Hodgson anyway. Why not get behind Hodgson on your rare trips to watch Liverpool and show him some support, rather than belittling his 35 years in management?

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
You're not comparing like with like though. Its a whole lot easier to win things with big teams / big budgets. Why not just compare their records at Inter? Or maybe the facts won't fit your argument too well...

You don't not get employed by big clubs throughout your career (35 years) by accident.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ironic how Roy doesn't take the UFEA Cup seriously when losing in the final is the best thing he has achieved in 35 years of management, and without being in it with Fulham (for which he wasn't good enough to get his team there properly) he wouldn't have the job. The whole point anyway is that all you have to do is look at Rafa's record, and it will tell you it's self that he is a very good manager.

Yes but in all fairness, nobody takes the Europa League seriously do they?

I might occasionally watch a Champions League game on TV if the Albion aren't playing or there's nothing else on. But I've not watched a single Europa League game, be it City or Liverpool. I just couldn't give a damn. The only clubs who give a toss are the small ones, and even then only when they look like they're close to the final. Which is why it's an achievement for Fulham to get there. But Liverpool, with the history that you're evidently so proud of, should be embarrassed that it's all they have to aim for.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You don't not get employed by big clubs throughout your career (35 years) by accident.

Excellent, so having been given the Inter, Liverpool, and International posts, we've established that Roy is a top manager then? Carry on...

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove

I agree, and I do always, without fail, whether Brighton or Liverpool, get behind the team. Doesn't mean I can't have the opinion that he isn't good enough (or right) for the job. And to be honest, if in 35 years of management not winning a major honour, I think I have the right to 'belittle' it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
City get pplayers coz they are willing to offer player treble what they are currently on. that isnt sustainable though, they will struggle to get rid of players, not because no one will want them but because of the rediculoous wages they will demand

OK, so how do United attract players then? Yes, they have some money. And they have as much history as Liverpool. But players sign for them now because (a) they will get paid what they consider reasonable and (b) they have a good chance of winning trophies, which as it stands, is not the case at Anfield.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats as maybe, but its not the issue here. If you're a player who wants to be playing Champions League football in the near future, you'll have am INFINITELY better chance of it at Eastlands then you will at Anfield, and thats not going to change any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports