Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We dont have to sort of money Man City have, so we cant just go and buy whoever, it would have to be a more controlled and logical approcah to buying and strengthening the team.

Nobody has the sort of money City have though, not United, not Arsenal, not even Chelsea these days, so that doesn't really put Liverpool at any more of a disadvantage. That other mate of yours can go on all he likes about net transfer spend, but the fact is, Rafa sold some very good players, bought a couple of beauties (Torres) but by and large was terrible in the transfer market. You never know, maybe Woy will buy someone decent, although Liverpool's current performances are not exactly doing much to sell the club to any potential new players.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
At the end of day:
- Rafa has won multiple major honours, and has a superb win % ratio.
- He WAS treated unfairly at Liverpool, and still managed to fight for, and win trophies.
- Rafa is far, far better than Roy.
- He has his flaws, mainly that he is so horribly stubborn, but my opinion is he is a world class manager, and although people may disagree, you only have to look at his record and it proves he is a very good manager.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where has Allardyce ever made a "monumental mess" managerial-wise ?

I guess he's alluding to Newcastle? Though the sainted Kenny Dalglish didn't exactly excel there either did he? :lolol:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Nobody has the sort of money City have though, not United, not Arsenal, not even Chelsea these days, so that doesn't really put Liverpool at any more of a disadvantage. That other mate of yours can go on all he likes about net transfer spend, but the fact is, Rafa sold some very good players, bought a couple of beauties (Torres) but by and large was terrible in the transfer market. You never know, maybe Woy will buy someone decent, although Liverpool's current performances are not exactly doing much to sell the club to any potential new players.

to be fair i rate Mierlies, seems to get stronger every game

im sure once they speak to king kenny and gerrard most players would be attracted

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Far less can be said for Cole, Poulsen, and Konchesky. Although Rafa is probably to blame in some way for those signings, god forbid a beloved English manager isn't up to a job.

Last edited:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Far less can be said for Cole, Poulsen, and Konchesky. Although Rafa is probably to blame in some way for those signings, god forbid a beloved English manager isn't up to a job.

only reason he gets support from different clubs fans 'oh i love fulham, what a good job Roy is doing'

what losing a final which you only qualified for through fair play. big woop

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
im sure once they speak to king kenny and gerrard most players would be attracted

With all due respect, I'm not sure you're right when it comes to Dalglish at least.

He may be a Liverpool legend, but his period of greatness was at least twenty years ago, way beyond the recollection of most current top footballers (god that makes me feel old). I accept he did well with Blackburn- but again, that was a long time ago and with old fashioned players (Shearer apart) who you'd never imagine winning a title with now- Tim Sherwood? Stuart Ripley? Chris Sutton? Mark Atkins?

Say you're- I don't know, chuck a few names in there- Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema- and you're told Liverpool are after you. I don't think Dalglish would command the respect that other managers would, simply because of a lack of familiarity. I think they'd consider him a bit of a relic, a bit dated, certainly not the man to lead the team to greatness after all this time. Players are arrogant, they're not going to be impressed by someone who last won Liverpool a title in 1990.

Obviously you are a big fan, and your opinion of the club is never going to change, but as an outsider, I'm telling you the world's opinion of LFC has changed, and they're not as attractive a proposition than they once might have been. No matter how many trophies are in the cabinet.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
With all due respect, I'm not sure you're right when it comes to Dalglish at least.

He may be a Liverpool legend, but his period of greatness was at least twenty years ago, way beyond the recollection of most current top footballers (god that makes me feel old). I accept he did well with Blackburn- but again, that was a long time ago and with old fashioned players (Shearer apart) who you'd never imagine winning a title with now- Tim Sherwood? Stuart Ripley? Chris Sutton? Mark Atkins?

Say you're- I don't know, chuck a few names in there- Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema- and you're told Liverpool are after you. I don't think Dalglish would command the respect that other managers would, simply because of a lack of familiarity. I think they'd consider him a bit of a relic, a bit dated, certainly not the man to lead the team to greatness after all this time. Players are arrogant, they're not going to be impressed by someone who last won Liverpool a title in 1990.

Obviously you are a big fan, and your opinion of the club is never going to change, but as an outsider, I'm telling you the world's opinion of LFC has changed, and they're not as attractive a proposition than they once might have been. No matter how many trophies are in the cabinet.

I think the point was that Kenny would do a great job in selling the club to a player

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess he's alluding to Newcastle? Though the sainted Kenny Dalglish didn't exactly excel there either did he? :lolol:

Allardyce barely had half a season at Newcaastle, and although they wern't challenging at the top they certainly wern't in any trouble. Not until they sacked him anyway (Blackburn - be afraid, be very afraid).

I just don't quite "get" the constant anti-Allardyce sentiments. I suppose he can come across as a bit brash and arrogant, and his teams have a certain style, but he's still a damn good manager who can operate on a shoestring and still get results.

Anyway, on with the Benitez-bashing :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
only reason he gets support from different clubs fans 'oh i love fulham, what a good job Roy is doing'

what losing a final which you only qualified for through fair play. big woop

It is not just about winning trophies. Those days are long gone with the top four/five clubs racing away with megabucks.

He tookover when there was an inherent danger of Fulham being relegated and they were on the decline. He picked them up, saved them from relegation and transformed them into a top half team the following season.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I think the point was that Kenny would do a great job in selling the club to a player

yep, by telling players such as benzema, who i regard as a real target, the history of the club and what it means to play for liverpool. those special european night, and we are trying to re-create that by attracting such players as yourself, to come and play alongside the likes of Reina, Gerrard and Torres

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

And my point, I suppose, is that if Liverpool are such a good proposition, they should sell themselves? The fact that Dalglish seemingly has to do it is rather telling, don't you think?

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
It is not just about winning trophies. Those days are long gone with the top four/five clubs racing away with megabucks.

He tookover when there was an inherent danger of Fulham being relegated and they were on the decline. He picked them up, saved them from relegation and transformed them into a top half team the following season.

so are you suggesting if he accomplishes the same with liverpool then that would justify his appointment?

i think not!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And the "special European nights" ((c) C.Tyldesley) argument is looking a bit thin at the moment, chaps.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
And the "special European nights" ((c) C.Tyldesley) argument is looking a bit thin at the moment, chaps.

they will be special because they are looking less likely to occur the longer the season goes on, cheers Roy

although id take City in the Europa cup final as its in Ireland, might be fun :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
they will be special because they are looking less likely to occur the longer the season goes on, cheers Roy

although id take City in the Europa cup final as its in Ireland, might be fun :)

Wasn't Roy who put you in the Noddy Cup though was it?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
yep, by telling players such as benzema, who i regard as a real target, the history of the club and what it means to play for liverpool. those special european night, and we are trying to re-create that by attracting such players as yourself, to come and play alongside the likes of Reina, Gerrard and Torres

Bless ya, I have nothing against Liverpool but to think that a player such as Benzema (not as good as some people seem to think) would choose to go to Liverpool because of the history or 'special European nights' is just deluding yourself. Throw enough cash and he may well come but if he can get more money at Man Utd, City, Spurs, Arsenal or whereever he will go there no matter what a club ambassador tells him about a clubs history. Liverpool are not the huge super club their fans seem to think and it will remain that way until you can compete stadium/income wise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here