Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont get it. benitez was shit and he brought shit players. but he won a Champions League and was runners-up, and kept Liverpool in the top 4 for 7 years. how does the common opinon of him match with his record? either he had some very good players (if Gerrard carried them, thats some acknowledgement he's the greatest ever club player) or he was actually a pretty good (if flawed) manager.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
SSN reporting he has now actually been sacked

Is it still "1-0 to Aldo & Fawksey" now? :lolol:

I do enjoy all this "not good enough for LFC" stuff, when the truth is more like LFC aren't good enough for many of the managers being talked about. And they're crawling all over the Martin O'Neill idea when (excluding Celtic, as winning a Scottish title with them barely counts as an achievement) his career record isn't a lot different to Roy Hodgson's. And as for the biggest club being based on trophies won, well all the trophies in the world aren't much use when you're losing to Blackpool and Northampton Town.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway: Sam Allardyce is currently available for when Hodgson is driven out....and he said before he could easily manage Real Madrid or Milan so he must be the sort of high calibre candidate that only a club of Liverpool's GIGANTITUDE could attract?
:lolol:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Is it still "1-0 to Aldo & Fawksey" now? :lolol:

I do enjoy all this "not good enough for LFC" stuff, when the truth is more like LFC aren't good enough for many of the managers being talked about. And they're crawling all over the Martin O'Neill idea when (excluding Celtic, as winning a Scottish title with them barely counts as an achievement) his career record isn't a lot different to Roy Hodgson's. And as for the biggest club being based on trophies won, well all the trophies in the world aren't much use when you're losing to Blackpool and Northampton Town.

yeah, because id happily have him back at Liverpool to finish the job he started

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Anyway: Sam Allardyce is currently available for when Hodgson is driven out....and he said before he could easily manage Real Madrid or Milan so he must be the sort of high calibre candidate that only a club of Liverpool's GIGANTITUDE could attract?
:lolol:

Not going to happen, EVER, but it would be great if Inter offered him the job there, just to watch him make a monumental mess of it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
yeah, because id happily have him back at Liverpool to finish the job he started

Which is interesting, as I can still recall the hordes of Scousers who'd ring Five Live's 606 show every weekend when Benitez was in charge, complaining about his constant tinkering with the side, poor quality signings for the most part, and failure to close the gap on United and Chelsea.

I'm not sure if it's a case of finishing the job he started: he had one season where he got very close to United but ultimately still failed to win the league, and ever since then they've been falling further away. People were questioning his role long before he quit.

I think this is a classic case of someone's absence making them look better than they really are.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Which is interesting, as I can still recall the hordes of Scousers who'd ring Five Live's 606 show every weekend when Benitez was in charge, complaining about his constant tinkering with the side, poor quality signings for the most part, and failure to close the gap on United and Chelsea.

I'm not sure if it's a case of finishing the job he started: he had one season where he got very close to United but ultimately still failed to win the league, and ever since then they've been falling further away. People were questioning his role long before he quit.

I think this is a classic case of someone's absence making them look better than they really are.

the people who ring into those 5live phone-ins talk complete dross. Collymore presents it ffs that should say it all!

when liverpool finished second, that was the season when the owners should have pumped loads of money in to enhance the squad that final step. however, it was already aparent that the owners werent here for the long haul and just wanted to make a quick profit and get out.

i do understand your final point about the absence making him look better.

This thread wouldnt be an issue if Hodgeson had us in the top 4 and still in contention for the title

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
yet to be seen as NSEV havent been involved in a transfer market, but i believe they will trhow money at it.

Prob not until end of season though

They don't have a history of throwing money at their teams, preferring developing their own players, or so it was said back when they were trying to take over.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
They don't have a history of throwing money at their teams, preferring developing their own players, or so it was said back when they were trying to take over.

i think its about finding a balance, long term solution, yes development.

but no one can deny that liverpools current squad needs investment, which i believe Hodgeson has been told he can do.

the only problem is the over-inflated prices in the January market. which is why i suggested possibly waiting until the summer.

We dont have to sort of money Man City have, so we cant just go and buy whoever, it would have to be a more controlled and logical approcah to buying and strengthening the team.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
the only problem is the over-inflated prices in the January market. which is why i suggested possibly waiting until the summer.

There would also be a problem in if the owners want to give the money to someone they might be firing in the summer.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the people who ring into those 5live phone-ins talk complete dross. Collymore presents it ffs that should say it all!

when liverpool finished second, that was the season when the owners should have pumped loads of money in to enhance the squad that final step. however, it was already aparent that the owners werent here for the long haul and just wanted to make a quick profit and get out.

i do understand your final point about the absence making him look better.

This thread wouldnt be an issue if Hodgeson had us in the top 4 and still in contention for the title

Hang on, nothing against Benitez but I like Hogdson, you say the (previous) owners didn't invest but you still expect Hodgson to get pretty much the same team that Benitez failed to get into the the top 4 last season into the top 4 before xmas the season after. Very strange, I think you need to take a nice reality check before slating your current manager who is basically working with a lot of dross left by the previous regime.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Hang on, nothing against Benitez but I like Hogdson, you say the (previous) owners didn't invest but you still expect Hodgson to get pretty much the same team that Benitez failed to get into the the top 4 last season into the top 4 before xmas the season after. Very strange, I think you need to take a nice reality check before slating your current manager who is basically working with a lot of dross left by the previous regime.

everyone has a preference of manager, im just saying id have Rafa over Woy.

Why?

At least Rafa got us playing some exceptionally good football, granted not on a regular enough basis.

But Woy seems to be 'pleased' with getting a point against teams like Wigan.
And saying our best performance of the season was losing to Everton :S
He prefers Skrtel over Agger because he doesnt like defenders who 'like playing football'

Just his general negative approcah to games, even at home has left me fustrated.

Dont get me wrong Rafa also had his moments with the whole 'facts' thing, least that was entertaining and having a dig at Fergie.

IMO Rafa > Roy, thats all

and i dont just mean the size of his waist!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports