Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid

efficient enough?

Brilliant example, I'll give you that. Absolutely played them off the pitch, it was a brilliant game to watch. You could mention the 1-0 win in the Bernabeu and the win at the Camp Nou aswell. In Europe, he was spot on. Benitez understood European football, he just didn't understand domestic English football in my opinion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
so 5-4 (or whatever it was) at stamford bridge was one of the most boring games in english football history then?? *facepalm

besides, even if it was dull, thats all Rafa's fault aswell then is it?!

Under Micky Adams second time, we were rubbish but still managed the occaisonal good performance, like beating Millwall 4-1. You can find an example to disagree with anything you like, but for the entire time Benitez was at Liverpool, I couldn't stand watching them. That's a personal opinion and what I'll always think about when talking about his reign at Liverpool. You're a Liverpool fan, you're obviously going to take a different opinion.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Brilliant example, I'll give you that. Absolutely played them off the pitch, it was a brilliant game to watch. You could mention the 1-0 win in the Bernabeu and the win at the Camp Nou aswell. In Europe, he was spot on. Benitez understood European football, he just didn't understand domestic English football in my opinion.

4-1 at OT, double over United and Chelsea. But yeah I see your point and apart from that one year, can't disagree, although I thought he was close.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009

agree with you there. I dont think it was that he didnt understand English football, i think he just prioritised the Champions League first.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
4-1 at OT, double over United and Chelsea. But yeah I see your point and apart from that one year, can't disagree, although I thought he was close.

And what about the defeats to them both? And how about the games against the lesser clubs in the league? I don't think he ever understood English football, and I think the league positions and money wasted would support my opinion. I think he'll go back to Spain after Internazionale and he'll do very well again, he was a brilliant manager at Valencia.

agree with you there. I dont think it was that he didnt understand English football, i think he just prioritised the Champions League first.

I would say that was a mistake.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I see Aldo's on here again spouting his scouse propaganda :lolol::facepalm:

The truth is benitez is an ordinary manager who inherited a good team with 3 exceptional players. If he didn't have Gerrard they would've won f*** all. He then replaced his good players with shit ones and spent alot of money doing it. He sacked the whole of the backroom staff.

He is also a complete dickhead, the bloke didn't even bother going to his father's funeral

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
He is also a complete dickhead, the bloke didn't even bother going to his father's funeral

Missed his fathers dead, because he was working at the club. In terms of football, that's not a 'dickhead', that's a massively committed manager, and ordinary managers don't win what he has won, end of.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aldo and Fawkesy 1-0 NSC

:D

Your arguments have done nothing to change my opinion of Benitez and Liverpool in general. Under his stewardship Liverpool became almost completely reliant on one player (now two), and his horrendously expensive cluelessness in the transfer market has seen them steadily decline as those two priceless assets got surrounded in his team by more and more dross. Its caught up with them now, and I don't see them seriously threatening the top 4 again for the forseeable.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Thing is, Benitez always got it spot on in Europe, but never fully understood English football IMO- Liverpool fans want the title a hell of a lot more than the CL. Liverpool always had a strong first 11 but no squad players to fill in the gaps. The side with Alonso, Garcia, Riise, Gerrard et al + players like Danny Murphy, not amazingly gifted, but would play his balls off for he club, that could come in and do a job + Torres would have been major title contenders.
Liverpool's problem is not replacing these high profile players they sell. If you're going to sell someone of Riise or Alonso's quality, don't take a punt on a 30 year old Spaniard or an inexperienced Italian infamous for his injuries.
Also, Liverpool had some promising youngsters like Warnock, Whitbread, Mellor (remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgKLfAYrZI) etc that got sold on even when they had looked impressive. Benitez is definitely not a fan of giving players time to settle- look at Keane, Bellamy, Morientes. A few months of average perfomances and theyre straight out the door.

Robski

Oct 6, 2010
Worthing
And what about the defeats to them both? And how about the games against the lesser clubs in the league? I don't think he ever understood English football, and I think the league positions and money wasted would support my opinion. I think he'll go back to Spain after Internazionale and he'll do very well again, he was a brilliant manager at Valencia.

Don't forget he inherited a team of world class players from Hector Cuper's reign. At the time, a squad including the likes of Canizares, Ayala, Baraja, Albelda, Vicente, Aimar and Carew would have been expected to win trophies.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
9 per market is what I was saying

Oh Christ. Per market...

Sell someone for £12m and then buy someone for £30m. Tough job...

There are countless examples of players that do not cost the ransom of a royal subject, but Benitez continued to buy dross aplenty.

Besides which, you two go on about a net profit, but I daresay that most of that would be eradicated by signing on and agent fees. To make out that Benitez was hard done by is rewriting history.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So Brilliance is temporary is it?????

Benitez is doing a good job of proving his was. As Robski said, he had inherited a very good team. He's no good at putting one together it seems. He inherited the best squad in Italy, didn't lose anyone of note (Balotelli is no loss), and has guided them to a complete farce so far this season. And he's lost at home, something Inter hadn't done for a long old time.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Alot has been made of Rafa and Liverpools 2005 Cmps Lge win,but lets be honest that was Gerrard inspired. NOT RAFA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here