Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benitez sacked from Inter (apparently)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He wasn't given shit loads of money to spend though. And since 1990 Liverpool has struggled to win major honours, he then won the biggest trophy going with a team with the likes of Trajore, Biscan, Smicer, Baros. The man is one of the best managers in the world, and if you look at it in terms of Liverpool now have Roy in charge, then sacking him was a big mistake.

Ahh Djimi Traore. That own goal at Burnley :facepalm:

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I believe if Rafa was manager under the current owners, who are actually willing to invest in the transfer market (we believe) rather than having to sell before you buy, then he would have won the league.

End of

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He did have little money to spend, and if he was to sell a player for say £10 million, he would see £6 million of that

McGhee sold Adam Virgo to Celtic for £1.5 million. Exactly how much of that did he get to spend? Precisely zilch. That is real pressure. What Benitez was under was chicken feed in comparison.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
He is such an easily dislikeable man that I am glad he has (apparently) been fired. Liverpool should have won the title at least once over the last few years given the talent they had in their squad and the amount of money spent adding new players. The reason? Benitez couldn't man manage and was tactically weak. If he had adopted a simple approach of playing players in their best positions, picking 2 out and out wingers regularly and not signing such utter dross then maybe they would have done. It is a shame that in replacing him with Hodgson it is hidden how shite Rafa really was.

Correct - his man management skills are shocking. Any Liverpool fan will tell you that in the season they came 2nd Alonso was the key player, he created the space for Gerrard to feed Torres etc etc. After he was sold Liverpool went down hill fast. The story goes that Liverpool were playing away in the CL in a game that didn't matter and at the same time Alonso's wife was about to give birth to their first child. He asked to stay at home which Rafa refused point blank. They hardly spoke again and 6 months later he's off to Real even though Liverpool had just had their best Premier season ever.

He is however rather clever - as someone has already pointed out there was only one way Inter were going to go after Mourinho and Rafa won't mind having his contract paid out early, someone else will take him.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Spain: La Liga (2), UEFA Cup
England: European Cup, FA Cup, Super Cup, Community Shield
Italy: Super Cup, World Club Cup.
15 Years of Management: 5 Major Honours, 9 Trophies, 53% win ratio.

"These are facts, no?"

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
spain: La liga (2), uefa cup
england: European cup, fa cup, super cup, community shield
italy: Super cup, world club cup.
15 years of management: 5 major honours, 9 trophies, 53% win ratio.

"these are facts, no?"

kwalty

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Incidentally, you both appear to be Liverpool fans, who often do you get to see them in action?

Dad is from Liverpool as is the whole of his side of the family, before you try some sort of glory hunter witch hunt. And several times a year, whenever time and ticket availability allows.

This year 3 so far and have 2 more booked.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty amusing that the only people supporting Rafa on here are Liverpool supporters.

STOP F***ING SAYING HE DIDNT HAVE MUCH TO SPEND. WE HAVE GONE OVER THIS SO MUCH. HE SPENT UTTER SHITLOADS.

Last time we had this discussion someone posted the actual net spending of all Prem teams over the last 5 years. Liverpool were 3rd behind Chelsea and Man City.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
why dont all of you 'anti-prem' cnuts just f*** off!

I support Brighton
I support Liverpool

Rafa is a good manager and was unfairly treated

Brighton will never be as good as Liverpool, deal with it!

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Pretty amusing that the only people supporting Rafa on here are Liverpool supporters.

STOP F***ING SAYING HE DIDNT HAVE MUCH TO SPEND. WE HAVE GONE OVER THIS SO MUCH. HE SPENT UTTER SHITLOADS.

Last time we had this discussion someone posted the actual net spending of all Prem teams over the last 5 years. Liverpool were 3rd behind Chelsea and Man City.

NET Spend of £8million a year, at the most successful club this country has ever seen, and a club with massive exception (probably over baring and damaging at the current era), but none the less, a low spend. And the majority of that money spent he created himself.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What part of 3rd highest net spend in the entire prem over the last 5 years is passing you by? (EDIT: Whoever found that link can they post it in this thread please?)

Liverpool fans remind me of Leeds and Newcastle fans, which bodes well for the future. I can see them going down one day, because every day of that season they'll be saying "we're too good to go down" "we're too big a club to go down".

What's "the most successful club this country has ever seen" got to do with how Rafa monumentally f***ed up the club in the last 3 years?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dad is from Liverpool as is the whole of his side of the family, before you try some sort of glory hunter witch hunt. And several times a year, whenever time and ticket availability allows.

This year 3 so far and have 2 more booked.

Well, it is not much of a glory hunt! :jester:

I was merely curious as to how you can write off Hodgson if attendance is limited.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Id love it if Liverpool met Brighton in the next round of the FA cup for various reasons:

[] It would mean they have both won in the 3rd round, knocking out United and Pompey
[] Liverpool will smash the granny out of Brihgton with their reserves, restoring confidence and going on a great run in the league
[] Brighton will be out of the FA cup to fully focus on the league
[] The game to be at Anfield so the fans get a great day out and more revenue for BHA

dont know which end id like to sit in though......

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He spent a fair bit more than Fergie over the last 4 years, yet delivered less. It's just logic that that is BAD, no?

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Benitez a good manager?! Comical stuff.

Look at what he has won in his time as a manager, simple.

What part of 3rd highest net spend in the entire prem over the last 5 years is passing you by? (EDIT: Whoever found that link can they post it in this thread please?)

Liverpool fans remind me of Leeds and Newcastle fans, which bodes well for the future. I can see them going down one day, because every day of that season they'll be saying "we're too good to go down" "we're too big a club to go down".

What's "the most successful club this country has ever seen" got to do with how Rafa monumentally f***ed up the club in the last 3 years?

Hicks and Gillet are the people who f***ed up the club, Rafa refused to be a yes man and continued to keep the club moving until last year, was admittedly was a poor season, but Rafa has had lots of success as a manager, and that is fact. And when you think he was replaced by Hodgson, it really shows what a mistake sacking him was. Oh and Liverpool go down in the next 20 years, I'll give any amount of money I have possible to give you, to you.

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Well, it is not much of a glory hunt! :jester:

I was merely curious as to how you can write off Hodgson if attendance is limited.

Losing to Norhampton, Blackpool, Everton, Newcastle

Draws with teams like Wigan

Won something stupid like 1 away games in 26 or something

Never won a trophey

Appointed because he LOST the final of Europa League

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here