Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Benfield Valley - Action needed now from locals !!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A consultation has opened about building houses on Benfield Valley ( a green lung in the city ). This is despite Labour promising at the last local election that no building would take place if they came to power.

There are drop in consultations both this evening and tomorrow evening at Hangleton Manor. So I'd encourage any locals to pop in and register their disgust at the plans ( almost four times the amount of houses initially suggested in the local plan ). Grateful for any support ! @hart's shirt - FYI.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We need housing - NIMBYS OUT
No. We need housing in appropriate places with the additional services - schools, GPs, public transport etc - to support them. One without the other is pointless.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
No. We need housing in appropriate places with the additional services - schools, GPs, public transport etc - to support them. One without the other is pointless.
No we need housing . The amount of people in temporary accommodation as they have nowhere to live means they're already using the infrastructure. Now we just need somewhere to live a the temporary accommodation is not suitable long term.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
No we need housing . The amount of people in temporary accommodation as they have nowhere to live means they're already using the infrastructure. Now we just need somewhere to live a the temporary accommodation is not suitable long term.
According to the Big Issue there are 261,189 empty homes in the UK, up 12,000 and more from the last survey.

Perhaps fill those before bricking up AONBs and dog walking routes with unsupported, shitty, flimsy new builds?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Now the quality of new builds from the big builders is something we can agree
Aye. They're terrible.

Don't get me wrong, my point isn't that we don't need houses. We obviously do. I've got two teenagers, I don't want them staying here forever because they can't get a place of their own. And homelessness is a terrible thing.

But as I replied to the other guy, with a QUARTER OF A MILLION unused / empty homes in this country, the answer isn't simply to build more and screw the infrastructure and car use implications.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Final-Final-Benfield-Park-Consultation-Exhibition-Boards_Part3 copy.jpg

The white bits are the housing allocations. Plenty of room for the the NIMBY ghouls to walk their dogs and they might even still get to use their footgolf club memberships.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
According to the Big Issue there are 261,189 empty homes in the UK, up 12,000 and more from the last survey.

Perhaps fill those before bricking up AONBs and dog walking routes with unsupported, shitty, flimsy new builds?
How does that work? Does the government get the power to requisition empty houses and give them to homeless people?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How does that work? Does the government get the power to requisition empty houses and give them to homeless people?
The first part, yes, absolutely.

The second part, rent them out at social housing rates and use the income to the exchequer to plug gaps in spending on other stuff. Education, health, prisons and the police. The immigration mess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A consultation has opened about building houses on Benfield Valley ( a green lung in the city ). This is despite Labour promising at the last local election that no building would take place if they came to power.

There are drop in consultations both this evening and tomorrow evening at Hangleton Manor. So I'd encourage any locals to pop in and register their disgust at the plans ( almost four times the amount of houses initially suggested in the local plan ). Grateful for any support ! @hart's shirt - FYI.
Part of my playground as a kid (a Foredown Drive boy). The need for housing comes face to face with the need to keep everything as it was. Tricky....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. @Guinness Boy is right.

It isn't about 'infrastructure', the homeless are homeless because they don't have the money to pay for what is available, not because nothing is available, and that is a completely different issue to what to do with available housing and whether we need to build more (cheap) housing on former golf courses (etc).

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
As someone who had to move away from Portslade due to lack of affordable and available housing, I am in support of this development.

There are plenty of places in existing schools (most of the Portslade Primary schools are down-sizing and in one case closing altogether). The secondary schools are fighting for every pupil too at the moment.

The transport infrastructure is good there too. Plenty of bus routes run nearby (6, 5, 2 etc.) and it is not too far from the railway station.

Hove medical centre is nearby to cope with new patients.

Good call from the council IMHO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
As someone who had to move away from Portslade due to lack of affordable and available housing, I am in support of this development.

There are plenty of places in existing schools (most of the Portslade Primary schools are down-sizing and in one case closing altogether). The secondary schools are fighting for every pupil too at the moment.

The transport infrastructure is good there too. Plenty of bus routes run nearby (6, 5, 2 etc.) and it is not too far from the railway station.

You weren’t priced out due to a lack of available housing. There are no second home owners in Portslade spending one week a month in the charity shops, 24 hour off licences and “barber shops” on Boundary./ Station Road.

In fact, the area has a higher than average social housing number.

And if PACA are trying to retain pupils I’d hate to see what they do when they want rid of them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Hmmm .... some falsehoods in your post there. Try getting an appointment at Hove Medical Centre - lucky if you can get one in the next two weeks. Road infrastructure is dire - Hangleton Lane and the link road in particular. If you can't afford to buy in Portslade you won't afford any of these new builds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How much will it cost to move the empty houses to where people want to live?
Nothing, because if I was homeless (which is the use case I was challenged with) I’d rather have a warm flat at social housing rates in Crawley than a kerb in Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our population has increased by 9 millions since 1997. We need millions more new homes and renovated homes. Supply is miles behind. There are 261,000 long term (> 6 months) empty homes, often in regions where homeless numbers are less. For parliament to create legislation to appropriate people's property, the legal process taking them one by one, the cost of compensation and then renovating often shells, would take an age and some.

The new homes are needed now.

But in the right places. Green lungs are vital to existing urban areas, the Victorian's got that right with parks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Our population has increased by 9 millions since 1997. We need millions more new homes and renovated homes. Supply is miles behind. There are 261,000 long term (> 6 months) empty homes, often in regions where homeless numbers are less. For parliament to create legislation to appropriate people's property, the legal process taking them one by one, the cost of compensation and then renovating often shells, would take an age and some.

The new homes are needed now.

But in the right places. Green lungs are vital to existing urban areas, the Victorian's got that right with parks.
I don’t disagree with that. As often, the binary nature of debate spoils nuance.

The number of empty properties needs to be reduced in conjunction with a sensible entire infrastructure build in other places.

Lobbing up flat pack on green belt that will be bought for over market price by idiot DFLs helps no one except the developers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here