Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Benefits help

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Hi

Hoping someone in the NSC Choir knows a thing or two about benefits (if they work for Crawley Council all the better!)

My vulnerable Sister moved in with her partner last year, is unable to work she receives ESA and PIP. Her partner is also unable to work, doesn't receive either of those, but gets Carers Allowance. Their benefit claims and payments have been managed by my elderly father and as both he and I have no real experience in same, we are a bit out of our depth. They haven't been getting Council Tax Relief - they live in his flat that he's had from the Council for a number of years and there are queries over that in respect of Rent/Housing Benefit. The biggest one is Universal Credit as we have no idea what they are getting and why as to what has been deducted.

Crawley Council are frustrating to deal with to get any info, but the major issue is that are unable to manage their money effectively, so we need to ascertain are they getting the correct benefits and what help is available for someone to help with their money management to remove the burden from my 86yo Dad?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hi

Hoping someone in the NSC Choir knows a thing or two about benefits (if they work for Crawley Council all the better!)

My vulnerable Sister moved in with her partner last year, is unable to work she receives ESA and PIP. Her partner is also unable to work, doesn't receive either of those, but gets Carers Allowance. Their benefit claims and payments have been managed by my elderly father and as both he and I have no real experience in same, we are a bit out of our depth. They haven't been getting Council Tax Relief - they live in his flat that he's had from the Council for a number of years and there are queries over that in respect of Rent/Housing Benefit. The biggest one is Universal Credit as we have no idea what they are getting and why as to what has been deducted.

Crawley Council are frustrating to deal with to get any info, but the major issue is that are unable to manage their money effectively, so we need to ascertain are they getting the correct benefits and what help is available for someone to help with their money management to remove the burden from my 86yo Dad?
Citizens Advice would help but I know they are not quick in getting appointments currently as they are so busy. A friend of mine had to wait 3 months! I would be tempted to sign up for a forum such as money savings expert or https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-esa-queries-results

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would add to my last post that the changes they have made over the last few years are so confusing, especially for vulnerable people. I helped my daughter who has two children with special needs, one who goes to a special school. It's a nightmare and often leads to many people not getting what is available.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

If you tap the 'book a town hall appointment' tab.
Then it goes to the council tax and benefit tabs, click that then are available dates and times to choose from.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hi

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some good content here :

Not 100% sure from your post what the living arrangements are, but Age UK do a ton of this stuff including advice, helping with forms etc (friend works for them, but not locally I’m afraid)

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Hi

I've worked in benefits advice in the past so may be able to help, but have had no dealings with Crawley Council.

few points:

-If her partner is unable to work, they need to be claiming something other than carers allowance (presume that their carers allowance claim is linked to your sisters PIP?), I would advise making a universal credit claim asap. This would likely clear up some of the issues and this is where I'd start
-Is it definitely ESA that your sister is on and not Universal Credit? If not, she may have to also make a claim for Universal Credit and switch over
-They should be receiving council tax reduction and should definitely not be paying full whack council tax. This, I believe, can also be done via UC
-There were a whole host of teething problems with UC but what is does allow is the claimant to see exactly what money they get, what gets deducted etc so I think this will help
-Don't want to pry and this may be something that you don't want to answer publicly, but in terms of their inability to manage money, is this through a lack of comprehension/understanding? If so it may be worth submitting an application to adult social care as there may be help available. Although waiting lists for that help may be long, it at least gets them in the system and there may be other bits of help that Adult Social Care can provide if they are struggling.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Whatever you do stay on esa as long as possible. Do not change to UC. Eventually everybody will be moved on to UC anyway. Let DWP move you.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Your sister may be able to get help from an organisation such as Richmond Fellowship, they have a branch in Horsham. They can provide peer support which can include help with these things, even acting as someones representative. In particular, in helping vulnerable people to navigate the complexities of the different benefits. There is probably a waiting time.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If you move from esa to UC by voluntary migration there's a chance you could be worse off. There's also a chance you might be better off.
By allowing dwp to move you, you won't ever be worse off

Google voluntarily migration eas to uc. Benefits and work.

I know two people who deal with this for vulnerable people both work in Crawley.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I've worked in benefits advice in the past so may be able to help, but have had no dealings with Crawley Council.

few points:

-If her partner is unable to work, they need to be claiming something other than carers allowance (presume that their carers allowance claim is linked to your sisters PIP?), I would advise making a universal credit claim asap. This would likely clear up some of the issues and this is where I'd start
-Is it definitely ESA that your sister is on and not Universal Credit? If not, she may have to also make a claim for Universal Credit and switch over
-They should be receiving council tax reduction and should definitely not be paying full whack council tax. This, I believe, can also be done via UC
-There were a whole host of teething problems with UC but what is does allow is the claimant to see exactly what money they get, what gets deducted etc so I think this will help
-Don't want to pry and this may be something that you don't want to answer publicly, but in terms of their inability to manage money, is this through a lack of comprehension/understanding? If so it may be worth submitting an application to adult social care as there may be help available. Although waiting lists for that help may be long, it at least gets them in the system and there may be other bits of help that Adult Social Care can provide if they are struggling.
Council tax reduction is through your local council here https://crawley.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/about-council-tax/council-tax-reduction. There are also benefits calculators they may be able to use to see what they may be entitled to. Some can be found on the government website at https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Hi - thanks for all your help so far, my parents have an appointment at Crawley Town Hall this afternoon to discuss the Council Tax, so it's a start!

Re the Benefit Calculators, they return totally different numbers for UC, Council Tax and Housing Benefit (assuming the input is correct this end) to what they are actually getting. My Sister's PIP and ESA are correct to the penny.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hi - thanks for all your help so far, my parents have an appointment at Crawley Town Hall this afternoon to discuss the Council Tax, so it's a start!

Re the Benefit Calculators, they return totally different numbers for UC, Council Tax and Housing Benefit (assuming the input is correct this end) to what they are actually getting. My Sister's PIP and ESA are correct to the penny.
Good luck.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Are their money issues due to a mental impairment? If so, seeing a doctor and getting it diagnosed could help. If it is severe enough they could apply for attendance allowance and apply for a severe mental impairment exemption. But that really depends on what a doctor says.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here