Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Benefits and tax: astounding graphic

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
I find it interesting that the areas in the chart have been completely misrepresented. Comparing the area of the light blue circle (£16 billion) to the red circle, the red circle is twice as large as it should be. Idiots.

Erm... the light blue circle is 16bn and the red circle is 120bn, so it should be at least 7 times as big..

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
I think it's an optical illusion. The light blue circle is roughly half the size of the dark blue, and four dark blues roughly fit into the red circle.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it's an optical illusion. The light blue circle is roughly half the size of the dark blue, and four dark blues roughly fit into the red circle.
It's not an optical illusion, it's completely wrong. Measure the diameter on your screen, and work out the area.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If only they did. However it's clear year on year Osbourne is having to radically revise his projected deficit reduction - why? Because there is only so much he can reduce from the benefit system and state spending. Ultimately it's taxation revenues that will clear the deficit.

So we continue to spend more than we earn - how exactly is this brave current government tackling this? Restraining the banks? Taxing the wealthy? Closing tax loop holes?

I don't disagree with you about voting Labour, however another term under the this government is just as unpalatable.

What we need is a completely hung election, no significant majorities and an appalling turn out. We need our own Glorious Revolution. Bring them all down to their knees and make everybody rethink how our country is governed.

Returning back to one of the great election advertisements: Labour, The Tories, The Lib Dems Aren't Working!!!!

The reason why he had to radically revise his projected deficit reduction is that his deficit reduction strategy killed off the strong, but unstable, growth that he inherited. For the first three years of this government, growth rates were substantially lower than his projections. Hence, Osborne will fail in what he set out to do, which was to get rid of the deficit in one parliament. Osborne is a political genius, because few actually recognise this, yet so many still warm to his pseudo-iron chancellor posturing.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
..... (there are complicated reasons for this).......NO THERE AREN'T - the 'Tories' in particular are up to their neck in the racket, that's all.

.....it chimes well with the public to target "scroungers". - It does indeed chime well, and that's no accident. Because they have repeated their mantra so often, it has taken on the life of a truism, and because people are fearful for their own futures, they are easily led towards scapegoating a group that has had a big target painted on it's back by the Coalition's black-ops propaganda department.

Mark my words, if we don't all get a grip, some sadistic sociopathic posh boy will be writing up his own version of the 'Final Solution'.

I should add that this is merely my opinion, why don't you try that, Mr Mail Reader?

You really don't think I'm a Mail reader do you?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Oops! you are quite right!

PGIDq.jpg

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
We pay tax because we have to. If there are ways of legally structuring your affairs so you pay less tax you'd be a fool not to do so.

If the rules allow companies like Amazon to choose where they pay tax who can blame them for choosing the lowest taxed jurisdiction?

It's the rules that need changing.

Why do we HAVE to pay taxes, I should have asked

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just to add a little tiny bit of balance to this statement - the government claws back most overpayments so it's not actually a loss ( or if it is then only a temporary one ).

Bloody right they do. They don't let it go, they believe a cousin of mine owes them housing benefit from 12 years ago and pursued her relentlessly for it. They eventually took it out of her earnings. You cannot even argue with them. The Tory governmen have basically seized power of a country in decline (because Labour messed it up and basically handed them power), owing billions and are using this as cover to drain the common man dry to feather their and their business mate's nests. They'll suck this country dry and live out their remaining 40 odd years in massive houses having bacchanalian parties, shagging their mistresses, jetskiing and snorting more coke than you could shove up your arse and haul home and we've paid for ALL of it. Meantime, the average British subject is left to queue at food banks and make a decision between getting the bus or buying their kids nappies. *******s. The fall of bloody Rome.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
You all can keep your graphs and complain about how 'unfair' it is.

1) Taxation is a form of theft, no one genuinely consents to it, it's a convention. Why should a state forcible take from an individual when on a micro level we cannot take from others? Why shouldn't people minimise their tax liabilities as much as possible? It's not against the law like some of you point out.

2) Benefit fraud is theft, the difference between Tax avoidance and benefit fraud is the nature of the theft. Benefit fraud is stealing from the many for oneself. Tax avoidance is prevention of the many from stealing from oneself. A lot of tax avoidance happens in SMEs, but shall we ignore the fact they're heavily taxed and loosening their tax liabilities might actually help the economy? Nah, that doesn't help populism.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Bloody right they do. They don't let it go, they believe a cousin of mine owes them housing benefit from 12 years ago and pursued her relentlessly for it. They eventually took it out of her earnings. You cannot even argue with them. The Tory governmen have basically seized power of a country in decline (because Labour messed it up and basically handed them power), owing billions and are using this as cover to drain the common man dry to feather their and their business mate's nests. They'll suck this country dry and live out their remaining 40 odd years in massive houses having bacchanalian parties, shagging their mistresses, jetskiing and snorting more coke than you could shove up your arse and haul home and we've paid for ALL of it. Meantime, the average British subject is left to queue at food banks and make a decision between getting the bus or buying their kids nappies. *******s. The fall of bloody Rome.

Ha Nibble,is this your one day of the month for drinking!!??

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You all can keep your graphs and complain about how 'unfair' it is.

1) Taxation is a form of theft, no one genuinely consents to it, it's a convention. Why should a state forcible take from an individual when on a micro level we cannot take from others? Why shouldn't people minimise their tax liabilities as much as possible? It's not against the law like some of you point out.

2) Benefit fraud is theft, the difference between Tax avoidance and benefit fraud is the nature of the theft. Benefit fraud is stealing from the many for oneself. Tax avoidance is prevention of the many from stealing from oneself. A lot of tax avoidance happens in SMEs, but shall we ignore the fact they're heavily taxed and loosening their tax liabilities might actually help the economy? Nah, that doesn't help populism.

Taxation isn't theft, it's payment for access to services. Some you use, some you don't but they are there. If you don't like it then move elsewhere, Qatar for example!!!!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Taxation isn't theft, it's payment for access to services. Some you use, some you don't but they are there. If you don't like it then move elsewhere, Qatar for example!!!!

Legal definition of theft: Appropriation of property with the intention to permanently deprive ((with a menace) as you could argue it's robbery). Regardless of the services, you have no CHOICE in paying for them, whether you wish to use them or not. Much like being asked if you want add-ons with Sky TV, if you don't want them you shouldn't have to pay for them.

Not everyone can afford to move to Qatar, because you know. We're taxed a fair amount our take home pay is low, and then coupled with inflation and low purchasing power due to loose monetary policy, it's difficult to make that pound go further.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Quite. When people like Philip Green get away with signing it all over to his wife and then says "Why should I pay 12 Million in Tax?" Because you earn 8 Billion a year you fat, greedy, shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here