Brighton, UK
1704690008339.png

(nicked from Upshot)

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No beef with Ben White, gave us a good season and a great transfer fee. Not just the fee itself - which was fantastic - but symbolically it showed we only sell players for the right fee. I think White’s £50m certainly played a part in Caicedo and Cucurella’s fees.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
No beef with Ben White, gave us a good season and a great transfer fee. Not just the fee itself - which was fantastic - but symbolically it showed we only sell players for the right fee. I think White’s £50m certainly played a part in Caicedo and Cucurella’s fees.
Also he could have thrown his toys out of the pram, when Leeds wanted to sign him but he didnt. Instead he got his down, worked hard for us and gave us a good season. I got no problems with him either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I still wonder what the England situation is with him. If that had happened before we sold him I have no doubt it would affected his value.
Face doesn't fit. Not a popular guy with other England players, it seems.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Face doesn't fit. Not a popular guy with other England players, it seems.
Weird one, really - when he was here he never once came across as the type to butt heads with anyone, especially not in such a high stakes environment as an England camp at a major tournament.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Weird one, really - when he was here he never once came across as the type to butt heads with anyone, especially not in such a high stakes environment as an England camp at a major tournament.
I wonder if it's something like - when new lads come into the England camp there might be a little bit of an initiation, a bit of hazing (nothing bad, but just singing a song, etc) _ I can imagine him not going for that sort of thing, maybe keeping himself to himself a bit. Also he has stated a number of times he's not into football, and again that would potentially be a way to bond with new teammates.

The story - oft repeated on here - of course is that the bust up happened because he didn't watch the videos assigned to him prior to the USA game, to study their weaknesses/strengths etc. Then got a dressing down from Steve Holland in front of everyone and reacted badly to it. But who knows.

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
I wonder if it's something like - when new lads come into the England camp there might be a little bit of an initiation, a bit of hazing (nothing bad, but just singing a song, etc) _ I can imagine him not going for that sort of thing, maybe keeping himself to himself a bit. Also he has stated a number of times he's not into football, and again that would potentially be a way to bond with new teammates.

The story - oft repeated on here - of course is that the bust up happened because he didn't watch the videos assigned to him prior to the USA game, to study their weaknesses/strengths etc. Then got a dressing down from Steve Holland in front of everyone and reacted badly to it. But who knows.
I genuinely believe he’s an introvert/lone ranger type personality and being out of his comfort zone of familiar club and teammates away with England may have been difficult, especially with loud or established cliquey groups. By all accounts he preferred playing video games in his room. Also believe his tanned/bleached appearance is partly driven by insecurity/low-level body dysmorphia, but could be wrong on that one.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still think he is wasted at right back. Think he could do the holding midfielder role much better, but Arsenal don't need that.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

As far as I know, there really isn't much more to it than the bold above. Heard from a couple of very well placed people that he was offered an olive branch back in but chose to leave the camp. His England career might not be definitively over, but his England career under Southgate is.

A shame, but part of the success that Southgate has had is in getting his players to buy into the idea that "the work", however unglamourous, is worth it. Haven't ever heard that he's had any difficulties settling in anywhere he's been in his career.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Career looks to be stalling somewhat anyway at the moment. Can see him moving on from Arsenal in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here