Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There are a few players I would expect to want to leave if we were relegated.

Propper and Trossard are on the periphery of their National Team squads, which wouldn’t be helped by them playing in the Championship. Potentially Mac Allister too if he proves to be quality. Mooy jumped ship from Hudds after relegation, he might want to do the same again.

I think we have the depth to deal with these issues should they arise, and if not they are all saleable assets which would bring in enough money to buy replacements. But to expect to only lose one or two players were we to be relegated is unrealistic IMO. Players want to play at the best level they can and are not ultimately loyal to the club.

Trossard started with promise but hasn't done anything that will put him on the radar of other PL clubs. Mooy probably wouldn't be that in demand, either if he gets relegated 2 seasons in a row; and signing a 3 year contract extension suggests he it was Huddersfield that wanted to loan/sell him, not vice-versa!

If Mac Allister proves to be quality, then we probably won't get relegated!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm talking about relegation clauses.

So it's tough enough to get players to sign talented players in their young 20s for a relegation threatened club (which we always are before the start of any given season) without inserting clauses in their contracts to say that if we do go down, their wages will drop commensurately.

I don't know the details of any of our players contracts, but it's highly likely Tony will have to bear the risk of having high wage earners which you can't shift (probably like Andone) whilst only having a Championship income plus parachute payments.

Why is it highly likely?

We tend to go after overseas talent that the rest of the prem have overlooked.
They aren't getting Premier league wages where they are, so even if it's just 1 year, they will be better off and have the label of "established" Premier League on their CV.
Trade off is that we reduce salary if we get relegated, but we won't stand in the way of any transfer that recovers the transfer fee.

I can see that appealing to most of the players we have brought in.

Ali J is the only one I can think of who was attracting serious interest from other Prem teams.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This ought to get us back on topic:-

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/ben-white-hopes-grow-leeds-liverpool-transfer-discussed

However, pundit Kevin Phillips reckons Liverpool look most likely to sign the 22-year-old. But it’s not entirely bad news for Marcelo Bielsa, with Phillips raising the prospect of another loan.

Phillips told Football Insider: “I see a scenario where he goes somewhere and gets loaned back to Leeds.

“He looks like he enjoys playing there. I do not think if he went to Liverpool that he would play straight away.

“A player that has played well all season but he could go to a Premier League club and not play.

This is brilliant and hardly a surprise from ex-palace Kev - we are mentioned twice in the article, and not at all in relation to a transfer. If we were to sell Ben White to Liverpool (entirely plausible if a little unlikely in the current circumstances) and he was to spend his first season on loan at a PL club then WHY ON EARTH WOULD WE NOT LOAN HIM BACK FOR THE SEASON.

It is not unheard of to include a loan back option in deals for young players (Butland, Gruijic, Dele, Zaha) and the idea that we'd happily sell him to Liverpool so he could play against us for Leeds is laughable. Frankly, it paints us as naïve in the transfer market and there isn't really any evidence for that (bar Locadia if we are being super critical).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is brilliant and hardly a surprise from ex-palace Kev - we are mentioned twice in the article, and not at all in relation to a transfer. If we were to sell Ben White to Liverpool (entirely plausible if a little unlikely in the current circumstances) and he was to spend his first season on loan at a PL club then WHY ON EARTH WOULD WE NOT LOAN HIM BACK FOR THE SEASON.

It is not unheard of to include a loan back option in deals for young players (Butland, Gruijic, Dele, Zaha) and the idea that we'd happily sell him to Liverpool so he could play against us for Leeds is laughable. Frankly, it paints us as naïve in the transfer market and there isn't really any evidence for that (bar Locadia if we are being super critical).
Its glorious isn't it.

It reads as if Leeds are demanding, as part of the loan move, Brighton sell White to Liverpool, but only if Liverpool loan him back to Leeds.

I mean fair play to Leeds press and fans, they are fantastically deluded and it's so enjoyable.

If IF we stay up and if IF Leeds come up, I can already hear (hopefully) the Leeds fans booing White, as his name is announced at the AMEX. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the end of the day, Brighton hold the upper hand, if they do sale and White is not a permanent starter, we will ask for the loan back. Little old Leeds do not have a say in it.

You're beginning to believe Leeds - the plan is working.

The Albion don't hold the upper hand.

They hold every hand.
They own the deck.
They have dealt all 52 cards to themselves.
They have laid them all out on the table and said...

...Can you beat this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly, Liverpool probably could.

Not a lot sad by that, we'll just roll the conveyor belt along to the next one.

It's just a shame the striker conveyor is still stuck in reverse.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Then again now could we compete with the mighty Leeds. Remember Dunk had his head turned when we play the massive in the playoffs, who could resist that atmosphere and light show at Hillsborough?

Oh wait a minute.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If he’s sold, how could Brighton ask for the loan back?

When you sold Zaha to Utd he remained with you on loan for the rest of that season. That’s exactly what people are suggesting could happen with Ben White if he’s sold to Liverpool. He could remain with us for next season to continue his development before joining Liverpool with a full season of PL experience. We could even make the loan stipulation part of the transfer deal.

The ridiculous thing in the current story doing the rounds is that Leeds somehow think they’ve got an influence on what happens to White this summer.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
When you sold Zaha to Utd he remained with you on loan for the rest of that season. That’s exactly what people are suggesting could happen with Ben White if he’s sold to Liverpool. He could remain with us for next season to continue his development before joining Liverpool with a full season of PL experience. We could even make the loan stipulation part of the transfer deal.

The ridiculous thing in the current story doing the rounds is that Leeds somehow think they’ve got an influence on what happens to White this summer.

Yes, and I totally agree with those people.

I’m pretty sure that scenario wasn’t mentioned in the post I quoted, hence questioning it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We won’t be selling him. When Tony digs his heels in, they stay dug in. It’ll be a matter of principle, and of course he’s our player, end of.

This is correct of course. But this is the last thing we should be saying this to Leeds fans on social media or anywhere else. The last thing we want to do is reduce the pleasure when the reality is forced upon them. Full on internet apocalypse. It will be delicious

Best just to let these threads go down slowly. Safe in the knowledge that in a month or two, you'll be able to laugh, like you've never laughed before

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Best just to let these threads go down slowly. Safe in the knowledge that in a month or two, you'll be able to laugh, like you've never laughed before

Well, not since last time anyway

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I agree totally with that, but that’s not what the post I quoted actually said. :)

I was not quoting you, I replied to what was said by Phillips in the team talk link. Phillips seems to think that Leeds will let us sale White on the condition Liverpool loan him back to them. What it has to do with Leeds I don't know. One thing is for sure though, Brighton hold all the cards, and in Bloom, Barber and the rest of the recruitment team it will be on our terms if we sale.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
This is correct of course. But this is the last thing we should be saying this to Leeds fans on social media or anywhere else. The last thing we want to do is reduce the pleasure when the reality is forced upon them. Full on internet apocalypse. It will be delicious

Get what you are saying. Sometimes it’s hard not to just let the truth come out but I’ll try to keep quiet and savour the moment when reality hits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here