Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Nothing much changes does it.

I can recall our FA school of Excellence graduate, perfoming a 270 degree turn on his own goal line in front of the North Stand at the Goldstone, in order to make a left footed cleaance off the goal line. Ian Chapman if anyone is wondering, was neve fond of using his right foot.

Hahaha what a dweeb! He should have gone 90 degrees in the other direction. ;)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nothing much changes does it.

I can recall our FA school of Excellence graduate, perfoming a 270 degree turn on his own goal line in front of the North Stand at the Goldstone, in order to make a left footed cleaance off the goal line. Ian Chapman if anyone is wondering, was neve fond of using his right foot.

And one of our finest ever players .... a very recently retired right back....... barely touched the ball with his left foot throughout his many years with us. Though he had completely perfect the outside of the right foot pass infield for use in the rare situation he found himself short of time

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'll guess it's because for every bad mistake Lewis makes, he's made up for it and more with many examples of fabulous football. Nobody is faultless.... and i'm not having a pop at Webster, but Lewis is absolutely miles ahead of him on his performances this season and over the last, about 5 seasons

Absolutely agree, but the problem is Webster is at a stage of his Brighton career where he most needs our support now, remember how Dunk looked a walking clanger at times in his early seasons in the championship, so much so that he was behind Greer, El-abd, Upson ect. I’m not denying Webster has made a fair few **** ups but right now he needs our support, which means it would be great if the crowd didn’t get on his back after one miss-placed pass.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BY FAR our most two-footed player is current whipping-boy-of-choice Webster...

[tweet]1222877821569261568[/tweet]
The comments on Twitter confirm they're completed passes.
Most completed passes with either foot is probably going to favour a centre back, who is usually making an easy pass to a nearby teammate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely agree, but the problem is Webster is at a stage of his Brighton career where he most needs our support now, remember how Dunk looked a walking clanger at times in his early seasons in the championship, so much so that he was behind Greer, El-abd, Upson ect. I’m not denying Webster has made a fair few **** ups but right now he needs our support, which means it would be great if the crowd didn’t get on his back after one miss-placed pass.

To be fair whilst we all discuss it on here, I’m not sure I’ve heard the fans on his back....

I’ve heard a few audible gasps though when we play a short goal-kick [emoji2]...

Could be me though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Most completed passes with either foot is probably going to favour a centre back, who is usually making an easy pass to a nearby teammate.

Dunk and Duffy have barely touched it with their left looking at that chart

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

He does need the support.

A big reason he's not getting it on my view is that he's replaced a fans favourite who is still at the club and who 80%+ of the fanbase would still be picking if they were the manager.

No excuse for not fully supporting the 11 in blue and white though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
BY FAR our most two-footed player is current whipping-boy-of-choice Webster...

[tweet]1222877821569261568[/tweet]

My question is... so what?

A centre back being able to use both feet is largely irrelevant in my eyes. It's not like he's a striker or winger where the unpredictability of being both-footed makes you harder to play against. It's just not that important of a trait to have in that area of the pitch.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think he has made a few mistakes, but nowhere near enough to warrant the level of abuse he gets.

If we had a dm and rb who actually offered him some protection he would be far more confident.

But like you say, next season he'll have more experience, and better cover.

Agreed. As is often said, football supporters have very short memories.

Are those railing against Webster the same people who described Bruno as a liability when he first arrived 'We don't need luxury players like him' or were they giving Duffy abuse last season when he has a bad run and gave the ball away for the opposition to score regularly? The same Duffy who now can do no wrong, and is the 'answer' to the 'Webster Experiment'...

My question is... so what?

A centre back being able to use both feet is largely irrelevant in my eyes. It's not like he's a striker or winger where the unpredictability of being both-footed makes you harder to play against. It's just not that important of a trait to have in that area of the pitch.

The style of play we want to play requires ALL players to be comfortable on the ball, able to pass precisely and accurately, and defend / tackle / cross etc (depending on their position). This applies to central defenders and the keeper as much as any position, and given our desire to invite and beat the high press at the back, I'd say more important for these guys. Webster is clearly a player in that mould, Dunk is too.

We may see a 'blend' of styles at times, as we did at West Ham, allowing some calculated longer balls, especially when we have Murray upfront, or Burn our wide, but at the core of our 'philosophy' is the ability to control the ball and pass quickly to a team mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here