Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ben Stokes

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fair play to him, the stress on mind and body across all formats will take its toll. I would have been tempted to give up Test Cricket rather than 50 overs / T20 though. especially when you throw in the length of tours of Tests compared to short format.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
This was needed IMO. If you are going to pick a multi format player like him as Test captain, you have to compromise to ensure he stays fit.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The media seem to be completely forgetting about Stokes burn out, and there is a clamouring for him to unretire himself for ODIs.

Sod that. He needs to rest up, visit some family, do what he needs to do. We have a Test series in Pakistan in 2 weeks time, 2 tests in NZ, 1 test v Ireland before the Aussies arrive for the first Ashes test in June. The Ashes has to be the priority.

Ben will turn 32 for the Ashes next summer, and will be 35 when they head out for the following Ashes in Australia 25/26. So this summer could be Ben Stokes best chance for immortality as far as cricket is concerned.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The media seem to be completely forgetting about Stokes burn out, and there is a clamouring for him to unretire himself for ODIs.

Sod that. He needs to rest up, visit some family, do what he needs to do. We have a Test series in Pakistan in 2 weeks time, 2 tests in NZ, 1 test v Ireland before the Aussies arrive for the first Ashes test in June. The Ashes has to be the priority.

Ben will turn 32 for the Ashes next summer, and will be 35 when they head out for the following Ashes in Australia 25/26. So this summer could be Ben Stokes best chance for immortality as far as cricket is concerned.
I get what youre saying, but there's now a decent lull in T20 calendar and next year is 50 over WC year.

He could come out of retirement just to be part of the tournament only, to defend the WC he did so much to win in 2019, and let it be known be will definitely retire and stay retired after it.

Would be a great way to bow out in front of fans and being as brilliant as he is, I'm sure England set up would acquiesce "IF" Stokes agreed. Article yesterday says Matthew Mott has proposed that to Stokesy.

We should all respect his decision if.he chooses to stay retired from ODI's, but maybe he will feel tempted for a cameo at the WC.

If he did you can bet he'd be straight in.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get what youre saying, but there's now a decent lull in T20 calendar and next year is 50 over WC year.

He could come out of retirement just to be part of the tournament only, to defend the WC he did so much to win in 2019, and let it be known be will definitely retire and stay retired after it.

Would be a great way to bow out in front of fans and being as brilliant as he is, I'm sure England would set up acquiesce "IF" Stokes agreed. Article yesterday says Matthew Mott has proposed that to Stokesy.

We should all respect his decision if.he chooses to stay retired from ODI's, but maybe he will feel tempted for a cameo at the WC.

If he did you can bet he'd be straight in.
I totally agree - respecting Stokes decision, what I was commenting on is the seemingly growing voices talking about it happening, and applying what amounts to pressure on him. This is with the backdrop of his mental health issues that required his break from the game. I would have thought those people writing or talking about him coming back into ODIs need to just show a bit more restraint in that the decision is not likely a cricketing one, but a well being one. There was a clear reason he retired in the first place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with all of the last three posts. What an outstanding cricketer and big-game player. It'd be great if he comes out of OD retirement purely for the World Cup but only if he wants to.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I totally agree - respecting Stokes decision, what I was commenting on is the seemingly growing voices talking about it happening, and applying what amounts to pressure on him. This is with the backdrop of his mental health issues that required his break from the game. I would have thought those people writing or talking about him coming back into ODIs need to just show a bit more restraint in that the decision is not likely a cricketing one, but a well being one. There was a clear reason he retired in the first place.
I'm a little concerned that Mott has even asked him about it. It'll surely have occurred to Stokes anyway, but he doesn't need the pressure of the coach pushing him to come back for the WC on top of everything else he has going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here