Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Roberts gone too

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He was also our ‘attacking coach’ for some of the most barren spells of goal scoring in the PL.
Although true, he was also attacking coach for that superb spell of 10-15 games when we suddenly started scoring freely. Maybe it was all just an evolution and they cracked it just before they left?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is all very well, but in the highly, highly unlikely scenario they ended up with no jobs here once the new manager started, then I really can't see Boehly saying no if Potter decided he wanted them on his coaching team a couple of weeks after joining.

They can dress it up any way they like, but the fact is they went for a big payday, just as a lot more people on here than would care to admit would. Supposedly Bruno got a million quid a year contract. I wonder how many people would turn that down.
Potter was the Pied Piper for a while back there. He could demand that his extensive backroom entourage, many with fairly flimsy credentials, be hired alongside himself. Highly reminiscent of Poyet, and his travelling global circus of Taricco and Charlie f***ing Oatway. Potter's extensive entourage is as doomed to career advancement mediocrity as the man himself. Oh well :lol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Potter was the Pied Piper for a while back there. He could demand that his extensive backroom entourage, many with fairly flimsy credentials, be hired alongside himself. Highly reminiscent of Poyet, and his travelling global circus of Taricco and Charlie f***ing Oatway. Potter's extensive entourage is as doomed to career advancement mediocrity as the man himself. Oh well :lol:
The difference is that Poyet was a league one manager who hadn't managed anywhere else. Potter and his chums will get another job next season, at the very least at upper Championship level. And I would fully expect him to be a success- nobody was going to make a success of that Chelsea job this year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The difference is that Poyet was a league one manager who hadn't managed anywhere else. Potter and his chums will get another job next season, at the very least at upper Championship level. And I would fully expect him to be a success- nobody was going to make a success of that Chelsea job this year.
Agree that Potter will get a Championship level job within commuting distance of Hove next season. Though he'll be forced to prune many of his chums from his guest list

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Agree that Potter will get a Championship level job within commuting distance of Hove next season. Though he'll be forced to prune many of his chums from his guest list
Certainly wouldn't be surprised if he and the entourage ends up at Saints.

No way he goes to a Championship club.

He'll have his pick of the mid-lower half Prem jobs available this summer or next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No way he goes to a Championship club.

He'll have his pick of the mid-lower half Prem jobs available this summer or next season.
You're right, but he'll need to pick wisely.

Swansea improved, just, after he left

The Albion has improved immeasurably without him, (what with the same squad now doing the one thing us 'yeah, but...' got daily chastised for saying should do, but were told it was impossible).

Chelsea will eventually work.

If GPott stagnates a fourth team into his comfort zone of bottom half probably safe, he'll be lucky to even pick up Championship football.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is all very well, but in the highly, highly unlikely scenario they ended up with no jobs here once the new manager started, then I really can't see Boehly saying no if Potter decided he wanted them on his coaching team a couple of weeks after joining.

They can dress it up any way they like, but the fact is they went for a big payday, just as a lot more people on here than would care to admit would. Supposedly Bruno got a million quid a year contract. I wonder how many people would turn that down.
Not everyone has money as their main motivation. You don't know their motivation, and are just projecting. They might have left because they thought they were going to a club where they'd be at a higher level and have their skill-set tested at a higher level. They might have left because they enjoyed working with Potter. They might have left because they supported Chelsea.
I'm grateful for the work that Ben Roberts did for our club. I also know that the club's model is that staff leaving for 'bigger' clubs is a sign of success.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Was mentioned on Talksport today that the club have been very impressed by him. But that Poch might bring his own. Even then they thought he might still stay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here