Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Marshall

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Wednesday are a far bigger draw than us as perceptions go.

Means we'd need to pay more than them.

Hope we push the boat out
With our stadium and training ground and various top notch facilities we should be right up there on recruitment and above 95% in this league....Sadly we rarely get the players we want in which is a worry.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
With our stadium and training ground and various top notch facilities we should be right up there on recruitment and above 95% in this league....Sadly we rarely get the players we want in which is a worry.

Nothing to do with that, the players and agents are only interested in money and if you don't/won't pay you don't/won't get any decent players signing

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hmm Adam Clayton, that fellow from Bournemouth who ended up at Norwich, Murray last season. Mistakes aside I don't think we are willing to pay top dollar, other clubs are. Not a complaint, just resignation and disappointment that we are also rans in the race for the Premier League now.

Desperately hoping to be shown up as a negative dick by the club...

There are more ways than spending millions to get to the PL. Burnley sold their star player days before their successful season, and, hate to say it, Palace were promoted thanks in a large part to two players they'd recruited from League 1 clubs: Murray and Bolasie.

Even Bournemouth sold their first choice striker at the beginning of last year and, although they were probably paying decent wages, they didn't pay any huge transfer fees.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nothing to do with that, the players and agents are only interested in money and if you don't/won't pay you don't/won't get any decent players signing
Yeah that's true earnie and to be fair we do waste millions every season on pointless players just to make up the numbers...Time we had a decent squad and got players in that we actually need and played them in the correct position for once.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There are more ways than spending millions to get to the PL. Burnley sold their star player days before their successful season, and, hate to say it, Palace were promoted thanks in a large part to two players they'd recruited from League 1 clubs: Murray and Bolasie.

Even Bournemouth sold their first choice striker at the beginning of last year and, although they were probably paying decent wages, they didn't pay any huge transfer fees.
But they were prepared to bid big for Gray from Birmingham and Wilson cost a few quid in transfer money too

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think wages are a bigger factor than transfer fees. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when El Pres said we were paying £30K for COG & Baldock.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But they were prepared to bid big for Gray from Birmingham and Wilson cost a few quid in transfer money too

I'd imagine the fee paid for Wilson was similar to what we paid for Baldock, who outscored him in League 1 the previous season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Point taken but in the last two years we have failed to land a few quality players who could have made a big difference and ended up with dross in their place. Does that not bother you at all? If we 'd aimed for the stars and failed but then got in one for the future at a knockdown rate I'd be happy enough. It's the not landing quality players and then paying ridiculous wages for the journey men and bang average loanees we end up with that irks. This season may be different, still plenty of time but it is a worry to me.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I think wages are a bigger factor than transfer fees. I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when El Pres said we were paying £30K for COG & Baldock.

Makes you wonder how much we really know about the wage levels at the club. Clearly not much if that's true. Although I know that Hughes and Spanish Dave were on hefty sums as well.

If COG is anyway near half of that amount we won't ever get rid of him. And equally if it isn't, I would then be appalled at the amount Baldock must be on instead.!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Point taken but in the last two years we have failed to land a few quality players who could have made a big difference and ended up with dross in their place. Does that not bother you at all? If we 'd aimed for the stars and failed but then got in one for the future at a knockdown rate I'd be happy enough. It's the not landing quality players and then paying ridiculous wages for the journey men and bang average loanees we end up with that irks. This season may be different, still plenty of time but it is a worry to me.
Course it bothers me that our players haven't done well. Point is that quality players can be bought from the lower leagues, it just needs some very good judgement and a fair slice of luck. We just have to hope that our current recruitment team have more luck/judgement than the previous lot. Although, I've not given up on Baldock; he didn't get much chance to show his talent last year but looked decent when he played.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Course it bothers me that our players haven't done well. Point is that quality players can be bought from the lower leagues, it just needs some very good judgement and a fair slice of luck. We just have to hope that our current recruitment team have more luck/judgement than the previous lot. Although, I've not given up on Baldock; he didn't get much chance to show his talent last year but looked decent when he played.

When we signed Baldock and played him upfront under sami he was woeful! - lightweight, no pace and never looked like scoring - he needs to do the business otherwise we need to unload ASAP

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is Mustapha Carayol a reasonable bet? He has signed a new contract and I expect any transfer negotiations will be prolonged.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Makes you wonder how much we really know about the wage levels at the club. Clearly not much if that's true.

Given we know (its in the public accounts) that the club had a £20m + football budget in 2013/14 (wages and fees) and it went up "substantially" in 2014/15 (according to Barber/Bloom) then it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the first team squad are paid quite hefty wages in that ballpark.
Alternatively have a peek in the car park at Lancing for more proof.

or ... This survey last year estimated that the average salary in the Championship was 10K a week making it the 8th most expensive league in the world.
As Albion's budget and wages are routinely in the top 10 of the Champ you'd presumably expect them to be above even that. Even for COG or Colunga or Holla however they perform on the pitch.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-England-earning-average-2-3million-year.html

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As Albion's budget and wages are routinely in the top 10 of the Champ you'd presumably expect them to be above even that. Even for COG or Colunga or Holla however they perform on the pitch.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-England-earning-average-2-3million-year.html

It was widely reported that when we had Bridge we were ;paying 10k a week of his wages. Even allowing for a small margin of error that's got to be better value than the three named players. It does make me query our strategy more than our finances.

I also wonder what incentive the three named players have to put much effort in as they will get paid anyway and are unlikely to find another Championship club. To be fair though I have more issues with COG's ability than his application, Colunga has made all the right noises since returning and Holla has definitely lost some timber so hopefully I'm very wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here