Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being in your 40s

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am 57. I found my 40s much harder than my 50s; at work I was under a lot of pressure from younger upwardly mobile younger colleagues and actually let things like that affect how I saw myself; so it seemed a bit of a battle and I had a real lack of self-worth.

In my 50s that changed completely I got back a lot of confidence which was reflected in everything I do. Although I have been OK health-wise so far, in spite of drinking too much, but I started to exercise more in my 50s and started yoga which has helped. Bizarrely, although I am married and don't respond, I have had more unsolicited attention from the opposite sex than I ever had in my 40s which may be something to do with being more confident.

There are down sides of course and the worse is that people around you fall ill and you start going to funerals more often, also my mother's health is a constant worry. Also you have to put up with the smugness of friends and family about how great retirement is which can be a pain even if you enjoy your job. Overall though, I would say if you are lucky with your health the 50s can be better than your 40s and I was dreading their onset. Not sure how I feel about the prospect of my 60s.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
on the plus side
banging an 18 year old when you are in your late 40`s seems much more of an achievement than when you were 18.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was also given this advice in my 20's which is probably the best I've ever heard

'Get as high as you can in your career by the age of 40 because after that you will not care'

Ain't that the truth.

Best advice i ever received as a youngster was from my dads mate who was a copper in the old school flying squad at the time
"if in trouble deny everything"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On my 40th birthday, i ran the Boston marathon (26.2 miles). That was my 16th marathon.

Next March, I will be running my 100th marathon (just before my 50th birthday).

Will I stop running at age 50? Of course not! 50 is still young!

That post sums it up for me, I don't run marathons :bowdown:, but as I'm nearly in the land of fifty, I still act and feel like I did when 30/40, alive.
Just because you start getting Saga junk mail and tv adverts with baths having doors that open on the side doesn't make you feel Jurassic. :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
On my 40th birthday, i ran the Boston marathon (26.2 miles). That was my 16th marathon.

Next March, I will be running my 100th marathon (just before my 50th birthday).

Will I stop running at age 50? Of course not! 50 is still young!

They do say "running" is the key to helping to stay young.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
on the plus side
banging an 18 year old when you are in your late 40`s seems much more of an achievement than when you were 18.

Is she a UK or EU? hmmmm? :lolol: and not envious at all.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
50s have been my favourite and now with only 5 and a bit weeks to go until my 60th I am seriously looking forward to my 60s, not working and playing loads of golf,tennis and fishing. Each decade is good as long as you keep your health and have nice people around you.
I look forward to 10 years time and saying on this forum that I look forward to my 70s.

TNBA

TTF

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
50s have been my favourite and now with only 5 and a bit weeks to go until my 60th I am seriously looking forward to my 60s, not working and playing loads of golf,tennis and fishing. Each decade is good as long as you keep your health and have nice people around you.
I look forward to 10 years time and saying on this forum that I look forward to my 70s.

TNBA

TTF

also i find that within a decade there is the start the middle and the end bits,each a little different...happy early birthday birthday-old timer :lolol:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I turned 31 last week and finally felt old - I can now feel the generational gap to people in their 20s. So God only knows how you lot feel :tantrum:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
[WARNING: unintentionally smug post below]

Never been happier.

Great wife. Two fantastic daughters (13 and 10).

Parents still alive.

A job which gives me zero stress, and yet is totally fulfilling, interesting, challenging and enjoyable.

It wasn't always like this, and I'm just grateful that things are as good as they are right now. Long may it continue, through my 40s and beyond.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When i was 40 - although i had a happy marriage, 3 great lads and a good job i too felt like Guinness Boy - your body and health stops being teflon like, its really hard and exhuasting being a parent of tweens then teens, its frightening thinking about a future of pensions, failing health of those i love, paying for three kids to go through university, and possible redundancies/career change which now seems just round the corner.

and then a few things changed:

- I moved to mid sussex, my wife bought 2 dogs (which i ended up walking) and for the first time since i had a paper round in the 70s i started noticing sunrises, and the changing of the seasons and the world pre-dawn. A complete contrast to my 20 years (count 'em) of dreary commuting to London and back in the dark. I even grew a few vegetables.
- A few years later I bought a season ticket for the Albion for me / my sons / Dad for the first time in years.
- By mistake i ended up managing a kids football team and getting involved with my local football club. Genuinely by mistake.
https://5thingsilearned.com/5-things-i-ve-learned-managing-a-youth-football-team-4156f8bd312b
Before i knew it, my kids were running the cafe, painting the lines and i was coaching the u7s
- I started playing 6/7 a side football regularly for the first time since my teens

My job stopped mattering as much, i started to write a lot more, i made a lot of good friends, I was healthier (although i could do with losing a few pounds) and i ended up being a right old pedantic arse on here (which i thoroughly enjoy)

I think i've become a lot happier. I turned 50 last month.
Dogs, football, and the countryside not jobs, money or careers (and the relentless patience/support of my wife, Dad & family) keeps me going.

Unless we lose this afternoon of course. In which case i'll be a right miserable pain and probably not want to speak for a few hours :)

D

Deleted member 2719

At 52, i would say life is still fast but then i do have two kids in Primary school. So my main focus is to top up the pension pot (plus add a couple more motorbikes) and bring up the kids as well as i can, while spending as much time as possible with them. Unfortunately that means at this particular stage i am only doing a handful of Albion matches. But i know that will change in the future.

Oh and 50's are going way too quick!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'll go along with that. I'm 60 next week and have to say I don't really feel any different to when I was 40 and my mind is still in my 20's but with a lot more experience. Luckily I have stayed healthy and long may that continue. I remember when my grand parents were 60 they were ancient.....but that may just be my perception at the time and I may seem ancient to the younger generation :smile:

pretty much my view on life ... my aim is to do some of the things I did n't do and hopefully remain less ancient.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm not in my forties yet but I'm seriously worried about my prostate. I can't go through a night without getting up for a pee and there's a sharp pain in my back. I need to urinate more in the day now as well. Maybe its linked to using ecstasy heavily when I was younger as its a diuretic. My Dad had to have an operation on his. I'm going to book an appointment at the doctors later in the week.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm not in my forties yet but I'm seriously worried about my prostate. I can't go through a night without getting up for a pee and there's a sharp pain in my back. I need to urinate more in the day now as well. Maybe its linked to using ecstasy heavily when I was younger as its a diuretic. My Dad had to have an operation on his. I'm going to book an appointment at the doctors later in the week.

Good luck fella

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I bought the convertible at 50. Now I'm 60 my mind wants to do things my body cant. Reckon I'm two thirds through my life, comfortable money wise so time to get on and do the things I've dreamt of.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i know a few albion fans that post on here the same age as me late 40`s. Been through the mill with some of them .....hitting 50 is a right unexpected result.
If i make it i will have a small chuckle to myself......fingers crossed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here