Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Completely ignorant to it but I hope that now you're 'in the system' you get the help and support that you need and that things gradually improve for you

As was said, you are still young and have plenty of time to recover other aspects of your life that have been impacted. Try to stay positive and take it one step at a time

Good luck!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
All the best, hope you get the help and care you require. :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
That is a fantastic post, 1066gull.

My brother has autism and it took my family years to get him diagnosed. Like depression, it's a severe illness that no one can see. I love my brother so much even if I can't do things like go out for a drink with him but the most important thing is HIS quality of life and making allowances and sacrifices for him.

I really hope things work out for you. I've made mistakes in the past and having bipolar disorder is fully treated with medication. Last summer I had a psychotic breakdown when I stopped taking them. Severe stress is something I cannot cope with but I've learnt techniques and sometimes it's best to walk away from something or someone that is causing that feeling.

All the best to you mate. :thumbsup:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Fair play to you 1066, very brave post

Good luck with everything. It is clear from this thread that you have a very many people on this forum that care for you and are willing you on so don't forget that (many have seen your good and bad times yet stilll think highly, no one has been pushed away)

You'll hopefully get on track soon, don;t dwell on the degree too much, they aren't always for everyone, I was great in school but then dropped out of uni after 2nd year. But I learnt my trade on the job and am doing well now. You just need a little bit of luck and you will be sorted.

Keep us updated and look after yourself.

PRS

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That took strength in character to write that young man.

If we clashed at any time, I can speak for myself and probably nearly everyone on here it is never anything personal.

This is in general a very good message board covering wide topics including football sometimes, that we all from time to time clash over. People have different opinions and attitudes to life which we I feel respect, and occasionally over step the mark. What always strikes me about this message board is that when someone comes onto the board and has a problem or issue people rally round and protect, offer help and generally treat each other as a family which we all belong to that follow the Albion....

You are a member of that family and I for one wish you well in your journey through life.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What came across to me in the OP was the frustration and the fact that this problem was spoiling/eating away at his life and he did not know why, and blamed himself.
At last treatment. Good luck to you 1066gull, i hope you will be back working and having a laugh with workmates soon, without the worries.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for posting so honestly - I'm sure what you've written will be a real help to others. Hope and pray you get the help and support you need, and the future begins to look brighter.

1066gull

Thanks to everyone for all the positive and lovely comments. I've read all of them and they really do mean the world.

Brave post. I can remember "back in the day" on here you would often be fighting many battles, this place can be a bear pit sometimes. But reading your post tonight, you're clearly an intelligent and articulate chap. I wish you well with what you're dealing with, and would just suggest one thing - keep posting. It doesn't have to be about your struggles, or your fears. The beauty of NSC is that anything goes. Post about the Albion. Post about a film you've just watched. Post about a hottie on Question Time. Add to the Bellcheeses at Work thread. Just engage, because you're quite clearly thoughtful and articulate enough to write posts that are worth reading.

You'll get quotes and mentions, and we ALL like those, cos it means we're noticed, and we're being read. Join in Adrie. I can see you've got something to say thats worth reading, and it doesn't always have to be about life. Just come on in and talk bollocks like the rest of us :thumbsup:

I wanted to talk about my problems in the hope that talking about my mental health helps other people to talk about their problems and I was on North Stand Chat during a period of my life where I desperately was seeking acceptance and I would go to many dark places to try and find it. Some of the things I done back then I am not proud of which is why I think it was even more important to talk about it.

Before I logged on this morning I had a meltdown. They are often the most visible symptom and can be extremely baffling and confusing for me, as well as anybody else who is present. Most of them can be quite personal when nobody else is present. If there are others around it maybe perceived as an overreaction to something. Why they occur is because my brain can't process the sensory information fast enough and its like an survival defence mechanism. At a time when I didn't understand it would explain why I would get in to heated arguments on here but more worryingly is when I break, hit objects, hit myself and screaming. Depending on the severity of the meltdown it maybe over in a couple of minutes or last 15 minutes and there is no telling when they will occur. The only thing I can do is try to prevent them by not putting myself in situations that I don't feel comfortable that may stress me out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only thing I can do is try to prevent them by not putting myself in situations that I don't feel comfortable that may stress me out.

Seriously mate, NSC may not be the best place for you at this time. Though most people will be naturally supportive, in the end its a football board. Can be a tough crowd sometimes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Before I logged on this morning I had a meltdown.

The hardest thing, when your response to things not going your way, is to accept that your reaction is something within yourself, and not blame other people. I speaking generally, here. This is the biggest obstacle to getting help. One of my exes dealt with her issues by convincing herself she was always right, and by definition everyone else becomes an idiot. That destroyed her relationship before the one with me (and the other guy is even nicer than me :whistle:). She is seeking help, but it is a struggle. My point is that as you start getting help, you have to almost surrender your ego to it, which isn't easy. The other thig is to let the past go, and not start beating yourself up about it.

I found your post very touching, and shed a few tears reading it, and the excellent replies so many posted in response. Few of us can achieve a life of inspiration, successful, happy, loved by everyone. But we can learn to survive, and even thrive, if we seek and accept the help that is available, whether from loved ones, or professionals.

Perhaps one day mental health issues will become fully destygmatised. In the interim, even having a bit of an emote on a website like this, can be useful. To be honest, it certainly is to me :lolol:

All the best to you. Keep posting! :bigwave:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
— Henry David Thoreau

PS: I would not recommend colluding with the mental health quacks. They just go around calling people names.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Seriously mate, NSC may not be the best place for you at this time. Though most people will be naturally supportive, in the end its a football board. Can be a tough crowd sometimes.

It's more than a football board, as has been shown by many previous discussions and outpourings of support. And it's not just the OP that will get the benefit of posting. He already knows the whole world is a tough crowd, so NSC is probably quite a relatively safe environment! Anyone having a go at him will soon get shouted down.

Good luck 1066, and keep posting!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Huge respect to you for posting [MENTION=4370]1066gull[/MENTION]. I don't have any experience of what you're going through but have recent and very close family experience of severe depression and other mental health issues. Diagnosis is always the first step - sorry this took so long and that your mum didn't get the help she obviously knew was needed. The system still isn't great but hope you get the help you deserve. Very best of luck, we're all with you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Great post 1066 and very courageous. Some of my most admired people have had aspergers syndrome. I.e. mathematician John Nash, Rush drummer Neil Peart. I wish you all the best.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Brave post and I wish you all the best. Life is a really difficult journey at times. It sounds like you are doing an excellent job of understanding the person you are and the effect that your condition has on you.

Keep on keeping on

1066gull

Update:

Today I finally received my diagnosis. I had my final assessment at the end of July before the summer holidays and it came sooner than I expected. Thankfully, Sussex Partnership NHS Trust had received extra funding for the Neurobehavioural Clinic in Brighton which meant an expansion in resources for Eastbourne. This meant people like me had a waiting time of 24 months drastically reduced to 9 months. For the assessment I decided to ask my mum to come with me and be open about my struggles recently. A few months before I created this topic, I started a thread about depression. This was when I was living and working alone in London but to this day I am receiving Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and still feel like I get clinically depressed. I also have been unemployed for the longest period of my adult life and I admit this does not help situation.

Anyway the diagnosis officially is recorded down as Autism Spectrum Disorder within Level 1 for functional impairment and although I have known for little while and studied the condition and met and spoken with like minded people, it now feels some what of a relief that it is officially confirmed. It also puts everything that I have done in a completely new perspective. Take how I was on this forum 10 years ago. Anyone who was a member back then will have fond memories of that time. Discovering you are autistic is a life changing experience and changes how you are around other people. My only disappointment and regret is that I wish I knew who I was when I was younger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here