Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer banned from all World Cup stadia

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well it's Qatar and them are the rules. If you don't like the rules fair enough, but blame FIFA for hosting the World Cup Finals there, not the country imposing them.
They’re the rules now… they weren’t the rules yesterday. The only rule is they can change the rules whenever and with no notice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Christ. Imagine watching us sober during the 90s, Mickey Adams II and the Sami Hyypia games :facepalm:
There were games in the early mid 90s I genuinely had to check the next day paper for the score because we got so plastered at, especially away from home in Northern Mill towns. Alcohol numbed the fayre served up on the field as you allude, ‘Twas the only way to get through!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Are they really stopping fans sitting in their seats watching the games with a nice glass of alcoholic liquid in their hands? Disgraceful! That would never happen in the PL ..........

..... oh!
No, as that was never the deal, however they have stopped people on holiday in a hot country (albeit an Islamic one, enjoying a nice cold one before or after the match inside the stadium, meanwhile those sitting fifty feet above them who have paid considerably more for their holiday in a hot country (albeit an Islamic one) can enjoy a nice cold one before or after the match inside the stadium.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It all seems a bit grubby and dishonest - always with an intention to change the rules at the very, very last minute.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a World Cup this is going to be….. Will there still be scantily clad young women in the crowds for the TV cameras to hone it on……..or will it be the letterbox look only ?
You think they'll let women into the stadium? Other than to clean the toilets I mean.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This was always going to be the fun-free World Cup though. What were people expecting... Katie Price with her growler out?
You put it like that I'm glad it's in Qatar

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
A lot of people save for 4 years and use the WC as a holiday as much as a sporting occasion , good luck with that , oh and be careful what you take a snap of or you`ll be be in one of their special hotels . I genuinely struggle to believe that the instigators of this shitshow aren`t behind bars .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Grauniad reporting tonight that paid " Official Supporters" have had their cash allowance cut, security guards are on the equivalent of 35p an hour and construction of at least one " Fan Zone " is unfinished....oh, and no beer for ordinary fans....its going well !
Indeed they did.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled
Qatar dishonestly changing the rules again? Who'da thunk it!

For a few years after the World War II, British troops were stationed in the Middle East in a peace-keeping role - many of them very young soldiers doing their national service. One of the things that was included in their training - yes, seriously and officially - was 'never trust an Arab' (or more likely the training instructor sergeant's actual words would be 'never trust an Ay-rab').

Now, of course, we know that that was racist, can't say things like that. So, obviously Qatar was expected to keep to the agreements they made. Funny old world.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The Grauniad reporting tonight that paid " Official Supporters" have had their cash allowance cut, security guards are on the equivalent of 35p an hour and construction of at least one " Fan Zone " is unfinished....oh, and no beer for ordinary fans....its going well !

Indeed they did.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled
Qatar dishonestly changing the rules again? Who'da thunk it!

For a few years after the World War II, British troops were stationed in the Middle East in a peace-keeping role - many of them very young soldiers doing their national service. One of the things that was included in their training - yes, seriously and officially - was 'never trust an Arab' (or more likely the training instructor sergeant's actual words would be 'never trust an Ay-rab').

Now, of course, we know that that was racist, can't say things like that. So, obviously Qatar was expected to keep to the agreements they made. Funny old world.

Maybe they've worked out that they won't need their daily allowance if there is no beer to spend it on?!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Daily Mail headline "Fans Fury". Based on what exactly? Who is "furious". Does it really matter that much? I do believe that it just might be possible to really really enjoy a football match without drinking beer.
Do agree however that making the decision 48 hours before the tournament starts is unacceptable. But that's the Arabs for you. That's FIFA for you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They’re the rules now… they weren’t the rules yesterday. The only rule is they can change the rules whenever and with no notice.
Can only be a matter of time until the Qatar ruling family start influencing the outcome of matches. Starting with, oh let's say for argument's sake, tomorrow's opening match. FIFA's quite happy to rip up its sponsors contracts to bow the knee. What chance have individual match officials got of making decisions without fear or favour? Poor bastids

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Daily Mail headline "Fans Fury". Based on what exactly? Who is "furious". Does it really matter that much? I do believe that it just might be possible to really really enjoy a football match without drinking beer.
Do agree however that making the decision 48 hours before the tournament starts is unacceptable. But that's the Arabs for you. That's FIFA for you.
I doubt anyone is. At least 3 hotel ‘brunches’ of all you can drink beer for 3-4 hours are already sold out for the USA game next Friday that I’m aware of ! There was no beer in stadiums France 2016 or South Africa , just at the perimeter 🤷🏻‍♂️

But it is bad they told fans it would be in October and then changed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think most people can survive without a few beers in the 2 hours or so during the games.
Agreed. We're all used to that anyway.

But now there's no grog available before or after the game either, which is a bit of a bummer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here