Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bedroom tax

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The previous government, allegedly, screwed the economy. The current cannot run an economy. But, at least the previous government did not turn citizens against citizens, screw the disadvantaged, demonise the less off well and stigmatize anyone who dares to claim benefit. It's arrogant, spiteful and nasty. If you want the UK to be a horrible country full of spite, bitterness and envy then carry on. The economy is utterly ****ed regardless of who is leading it; so you might as well be nice to each other. And you can make a start on this by voting the current morons out.

Which suggests you never had to walk into a job centre during the previous governments term and be subjected to the most demeaning questions and attitudes ? Both this government and the previous one can lay claim to disrespecting benefit claimants.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many UK Grads even thought about taking an engineering degree? Come to that, how many were good enough at maths and physics to get accepted on an engineering degree course?

I do not know. But I have managed to find a list of at least 65 universities which have Mech Eng courses. I presume they have students on them.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Mechanical%20Engineering

And I presume they can add up sufficiently well enough to get on the course; them Cambridge students especially.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Which suggests you never had to walk into a job centre during the previous governments term and be subjected to the most demeaning questions and attitudes ? Both this government and the previous one can lay claim to disrespecting benefit claimants.

I have a rather funny story about job centres
I was sent to a job (company shall be nameless as I think they might still be in business) as an approved electrician and they fell over themselves to take me on even though I could not drive, I was over the moon, until they rang me to say the job had been given to a younger man who could drive (and was probably somewhat cheaper) anyway some weeks later I was contacted by the job centre and told to turn up for an interview at the same company.
explaining I had already had an interview there they said that they had taken on some young guy who was given one of their vans to drive about in given a job to pick up another sparks and start a huge job in Brighton.
they never saw him or the van again.
I spoke just two words
and that was the end of the conversation
at that point I was employed by another smaller company who appreciated loyalty

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I cannot comment on this but I do think there is a huge huge difference between the language and messages that the parliamentry Labour party used and the language and messages that the current government use and convey. It's my view that in the current climate benefit claimants are all viewed with suspicion, the disabled are given little sympathy and all public sector workers are a drain on the country. It never used to be like this. Well, this is not true it was like this the last time the nasty party were in power. It's tough out there and you dont need ***** like Cameron, Osborne and Gove making it ****ing harder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Up the Hove everyone, I'm off home now. Good evening.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good, so at least there will be some people in jobs paying taxes when I retire! lol

There will be some engineering grads...this is all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is meant as a pop at the coalition........as thousands of people on benefits, are now supposed to move homes as they can't now afford to stay where they are, all because they have a spare bedroom...............

If you know your history you will know where i am coming from...............not mildly racist in the least, just sympathetic.

My apologies. I totally agree. Where are these 1 bedroom flats. They simply don't exist. Simply pandering to the right wing press.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My apologies. I totally agree. Where are these 1 bedroom flats. They simply don't exist. Simply pandering to the right wing press.

I don't know where they ALL are, but I can state for a fact that there are some in Eastbourne with kids living in them because there are not enough bigger houses for them to move into, as many of them are occupied by couples who no longer need them.

Aug 23, 2011
i may be wrong but isn't part of this trying to even things up as people in private lettings claiming rent benefits can only claim for the number of bedrooms required and if thats the case why should people in government owed houses be entitled to more than ones in the similar situation but happen to have private landlords?

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
i may be wrong but isn't part of this trying to even things up as people in private lettings claiming rent benefits can only claim for the number of bedrooms required and if thats the case why should people in government owed houses be entitled to more than ones in the similar situation but happen to have private landlords?
They shouldnt be entitled to different. Its right that couples etc should not be in vastly over sized properties, but its the cut off timescale and lack of support to move that is the problem. These people are already on low incomes so how do they suddenly find moving costs, and in order to take these vital benefits away, they must make sure that there is adequate housing of a smaller size. Its the way the policy has been implemented and not the policy itself that is the problem.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
And where are these UK engineering jobs then? There was an utterly fascinating documentary on Radio 4 yesterday about the basket case of UK car manufacturing and by extension engineering. A lof the stuff we do claim to make is only assembled in the UK and the supply chains for engineered parts and components are from abroad. JCB was used as an example: 70% of the alleged British JCB is sourced from aborad even though they have a buy-British policy in place; the components are mainly German and Italian which also puts paid to the general idea that the Chinese are making engineered components cheaply (high oil prices for shipping and 30-40% year on year wage increases are starting to bite) . So, not only does the UK lose out on the supply chain the cost of the JCB is rising because of the components are paid for in Euros or dollars. The argument that our products are cheaper because of the poor exchange rate is bull shit in the case of the motor industry. My point being an engineering degree is as valid or valuable as a degree in anything at the moment....unless you want to leave the country that is.

There's some puerile six form politics and economics on here, but this takes the biscuit, you really have no ****ing idea how multi national businesses order their affairs. Do you actually think JCB have got their global operational arrangements wrong?

JCB unearths record sales and profits | Business | guardian.co.uk

JCB adds fourth plant in India | News | Vertikal.net

BBC News - JCB

Could you explain how a successful business like JCB should reorganise their arrangements to satisfy your demands?

Like most global businsesses with operations in 22 countries around the world they will have established holding companies in multiple global jurisdictions to hold capital in different financial instruments to inter alia hedge against currency fluctuations............the £ rate will only be important to where they post profits and tax.

Nevertheless I can see how your your argument on exchange rates would appeal to those with an unsophisticated commercial mind but global businesses have to operate in a deeply complex world. For example is recent weeks life has got a lot harder for the likes of JCB however because European institutions like the ECB and EU are arbitrarily changing the rules on banking arrangments (in Europe) and driving firms to make sure their capital reserves are secure, and this is now driving money to havens such as Switzerland and the far east.

Global businesses like JCB will be managing their business through a much broader paradigm than whether their component suppliers are based in the UK, and they will be leveraging on multiple factors to price up their unis as oppose to fousing on a narrow construct such as the exchange rate of £/euro

In fact with european industrial output dropping like a stone they will be able to name their price with suppliers whether in UK or elsewhere..................only a ****ing dunce would think they would have to set up all their supply chain eggs in one basket.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/13/uk-eurozone-production-idUKBRE92C09W20130313

Seriously.............dont believe everything your hear/watch on the BBC, apparently its utterly chock full of lefties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here